Where do I place my tracker?

Ptb

Reaction score
I was wondering as I am surely not the only one, as to where I put my tracker on my Phantom 2. My Phantom already has the 3d gimbal, a transmitter, iosd mini etc. I can't find a space to put it. I was thinking about putting it on it's legs, but would that then interfere with the antenna and compass? Any help very much appreciated!

I have tried uploading a picture, but can't get it to work! My tracker is in the picture, I am not sure the brand of the tracker, but it seems to be quite commonly used on Phantoms. It's oblong grey, and a yellow picture on the front that says GPS tracker with a picture of earth and a satelite on it.

o8eXAz

Peter

I have mine velcroed to the side of the body. I have my IOSD and CanBus inside of my shell though. I don't think you want it on the legs because of the compass and antennas, and it might get knocked off in a crash. Don't put it directly on top either, it will block the GPS antenna.

I was in the same boat when i changed my 2D gimbal to the 3D, as the 3D takes up more room underneath so couldn't fit my TK102 on the belly anymore.

Not sure where you are based, but i bought this from a UK seller: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1587218013

Works well, but does feel like a sail when the wind is blowing! Actually have a spare 1 as they sent me 2!

I've since ordered a V16 tracker as it's much smaller and i can hopefully go back to velcroing it on the underside next to my vtx. Wish it would hurry up!!

Ptb said:
Thanks, I've just bought both of those.

i would be careful with that not only does it add un needed weight it also can like he said act as a sail as its a vertical wind block. I would not USE this at all. with careful mounting of iOSD and canbus inside u should be able to mount it underneath belly. but this attachment thing in my mind is a 100% no go.

Haze said:
Ptb said:

i would be careful with that not only does it add un needed weight it also can like he said act as a sail as its a vertical wind block. I would not USE this at all. with careful mounting of iOSD and canbus inside u should be able to mount it underneath belly. but this attachment thing in my mind is a 100% no go.

I've been using one of these to mount my tracker from day one and never had any problems. Think it is great.

taxino8 said:
Haze said:
Ptb said:

I've been using one of these to mount my tracker from day one and never had any problems. Think it is great.

Well it also adds weight to just one side, so your bird is correcting for the weight shift and also using more battery. But to all their own

I use the RC version of the "Marco Polo" which is very small and light and simply use heavy duty 3M Velcro to attach it to the side.

Tom

nobr3ga said:
I ordered one a week ago. Its still in process of being made. How do you like it so far?

In the mean time I cut a 3" x 6" x 1/4" plexiglass piece. Put two large holes in it to lessen weight. Then zip tied it to legs behind gimbal. Dual purpose Velcro tk102b to it plus offers some camera gimbal protection in case of crash. Have not seen any wind drag issues since it is laying horizontal.

Just a little slow on take off. Hoping to gain a little advise on gains to assist with added weight.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1406256007626.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1406256007626.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 423
  • uploadfromtaptalk1406256018077.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1406256018077.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 410
I have a Tagg pet tracker, attaches easily to the leg of my Phantom.

(i usually swivel it inwards before flying, but it's attached extremely well with the included straps)

Attachments

• tracker.jpg
    tracker.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 377
This is the "Marco Polo" and the tag is VERY small and light. It comes with the tracker as it does not use GPS and can pinpoint the tag within inches, much better than GPS. It also has no reoccurring monthly fee.
Mention it is for RC use and you get a discount.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0283.JPG
    IMG_0283.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 415
tom3holer said:
This is the "Marco Polo" and the tag is VERY small and light. It comes with the tracker as it does not use GPS and can pinpoint the tag within inches, much better than GPS. It also has no reoccurring monthly fee.
Mention it is for RC use and you get a discount.

Tom

what kind of range can you get on that system? Is it just a couple hundred yards?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl