Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Where do I place my tracker?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by Ptb, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Ptb

Ptb

I was wondering as I am surely not the only one, as to where I put my tracker on my Phantom 2. My Phantom already has the 3d gimbal, a transmitter, iosd mini etc. I can't find a space to put it. I was thinking about putting it on it's legs, but would that then interfere with the antenna and compass? Any help very much appreciated!

I have tried uploading a picture, but can't get it to work! My tracker is in the picture, I am not sure the brand of the tracker, but it seems to be quite commonly used on Phantoms. It's oblong grey, and a yellow picture on the front that says GPS tracker with a picture of earth and a satelite on it.

[​IMG]

Peter

2. badbrad97

I have mine velcroed to the side of the body. I have my IOSD and CanBus inside of my shell though. I don't think you want it on the legs because of the compass and antennas, and it might get knocked off in a crash. Don't put it directly on top either, it will block the GPS antenna.

3. bells0

I was in the same boat when i changed my 2D gimbal to the 3D, as the 3D takes up more room underneath so couldn't fit my TK102 on the belly anymore.

Not sure where you are based, but i bought this from a UK seller: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1587218013

Works well, but does feel like a sail when the wind is blowing! Actually have a spare 1 as they sent me 2!

I've since ordered a V16 tracker as it's much smaller and i can hopefully go back to velcroing it on the underside next to my vtx. Wish it would hurry up!!

4. Ptb

Ptb

Thanks, I've just bought both of those.

5. Haze

i would be careful with that not only does it add un needed weight it also can like he said act as a sail as its a vertical wind block. I would not USE this at all. with careful mounting of iOSD and canbus inside u should be able to mount it underneath belly. but this attachment thing in my mind is a 100% no go.

6. J Dot

Make your own:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Take care, fly safe!

7. taxino8

I've been using one of these to mount my tracker from day one and never had any problems. Think it is great.

8. Haze

Well it also adds weight to just one side, so your bird is correcting for the weight shift and also using more battery. But to all their own

9. tom3holer

I use the RC version of the "Marco Polo" which is very small and light and simply use heavy duty 3M Velcro to attach it to the side.

Tom

10. tonydotigr

What make/model of tracker did you guys buy?

11. badbrad97

Same here

12. nobr3ga

13. Damon

I ordered one a week ago. Its still in process of being made. How do you like it so far?

In the mean time I cut a 3" x 6" x 1/4" plexiglass piece. Put two large holes in it to lessen weight. Then zip tied it to legs behind gimbal. Dual purpose Velcro tk102b to it plus offers some camera gimbal protection in case of crash. Have not seen any wind drag issues since it is laying horizontal.

Just a little slow on take off. Hoping to gain a little advise on gains to assist with added weight.

14. Damon

Attached Files:

15. Gizmo3000

I have a Tagg pet tracker, attaches easily to the leg of my Phantom.

(i usually swivel it inwards before flying, but it's attached extremely well with the included straps)

Attached Files:

16. tom3holer

This is the "Marco Polo" and the tag is VERY small and light. It comes with the tracker as it does not use GPS and can pinpoint the tag within inches, much better than GPS. It also has no reoccurring monthly fee.
    Mention it is for RC use and you get a discount.

Tom

Attached Files:

17. CouesWhitetail

18. tom3holer