What's the verdict of the Pro vs Pro Plus?

I've seen that video on the plus model ( Good Video ). After much conversation here and input from the community here i ordered the P4P and ordered an iPad mini 4 on Verizon. I went this route because DJI is so IOS friendly and alot of the other third party apps ( like Drone Deploy ) are compatible. DJI could care less about supporting newer android systems or phones so i couldn't use my cell . I do find it kinda perplexing how they build there own integrated screen setup WITH android but yet have pure garbage in the way of newer android support with their DJI Go4 app. I'm going by purely what i have read with other Android users and other people whom i know with issues with Android.

Can you elaborate on the issues? Are they ongoing?

Search on these forums and you will build a picture of which pro is best to go for. Pro+ Issues with screen lag and screen crashing. Do an extensive search like I did. Spend some valuable time researching other forums as well . Anything android crashes anyway, so the basic pro integrated with my reliable Apple device is a no brainier.

Reactions: slbynum
My 2 cents worth:
I have the P4P Plus, and I love it. I can open my hard case and be in the air in under a minute, fully connected, GPS, too.
Can't do that with any of my tablet-needing drones.
sums up my experience perfectly between my p3s and p4p+. Caselabs case with the props on, open case hit power on both devices wait for gps lock, go fly.

Reactions: Davidnclearlaketx
Can you elaborate on the issues? Are they ongoing?
Depends on who you ask. There have been reports of problems with the P4P+ controller on the forum, but there have also been reports about every conceivable P4P (plus and non-plus) function on the forum, as there have been for all past models and as there will be for all future models... basically, you name the feature (any model) and I can find you some problem reports about it. I have no doubt that some percentage of problem reports are real, but FWIW there's also a large number of P4P+ users (including myself) who have had no problems at all.

Last edited:
Depends on who you ask. There have been reports of problems with the P4P+ controller on the forum, but there have also been reports about every conceivable P4P (plus and non-plus) function on the forum. I have no doubt doubt that some percentage of all kinds of problem reports are real, but FWIW there's also a large number of P4P+ users (including myself) who have had no problems at all.

THe app doe not like playing back the saved video from the controller for me. It's the only thing I hate so far.

THe app doe not like playing back the saved video from the controller for me. It's the only thing I hate so far.
Yes, it's a brand new product and there are some rough edges. They will likey be fixed as firmware updates are released, but in my experience the basic functionality and stability of the P4P+ I had (one of the very first produced BTW) was very good. I eventually swapped the P4P+ for a P4P solely due to the inability to run 3rd party software (which is an undeniably valid criticism), but otherwise I found the P4P+ to be very stable and easy to use. There are many things I miss about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: tpallred
Yes, it's a brand new product and there are some rough edges. They will likey be fixed as firmware updates are released, but in my experience the basic functionality and stability of the P4P+ I had (one of the very first produced BTW) was very good. I eventuality swapped the P4P+ for a P4P solely due to the inability to run 3rd party software (which is an undeniably valid criticism), but otherwise I found the P4P+ to be very stable and easy to use. There are many things I miss about it.

100% agree. It's been a joy to fly and handles very well in how I've used it so far. It even tolerated SST pressure waves very well (and got some sweet video)

Be interesting to see how many software issues/complaints with android compared to Apple . Isn't the Pro+ Android ?

Be interesting to see how many software issues/complaints with android compared to Apple . Isn't the Pro+ Android ?
The strict control of hardware and more locked down software philosophy of Apple products will probably always result in some higher level of stability, the question is does that factor outweigh the greater choice in both hardware and software that Android provides, and as always that is a personal decision on the part of the buyer. That's why there are multiple choices.

I know have a regular p4p remote to go along with my p4p+ because the software was just too buggy
Sounds like you learned the hard way that DJI's android s/w team is less talented than their iOS team. I prefer Android platforms myself, but I learned 2yrs ago that DJI's iOS engineers have a better handle on things. I use iPads for my DJI drones, and to watch my Dish-network programs on airplanes when I travel. Everything else I have is Android.

I worry the CrystalSky displays will be buggy too, and locked from 3rd party apps. That would be unfortunate. I'm hoping that DJI outsources the CrystalSky displays from another vendor that's astute with Android, enough to leave it open to 3rd party apps. I think we'll find out in a couple weeks at NAB.

Reactions: Davidnclearlaketx
So it's 3 months since your previous post on this when you said you liked the Plus except for one software it wouldn't run. Have things come up since then to make you change your mind?
Multiple smart flying modes dont work. Neither did the tripod function. It sucks to have to connect a tablet and plug it in, wait for the remote to boot up instead of like before just pressing 2 buttons then start flying. Using an iPhone/pad and Litchi is the workaround I found for the smart modes not working for me with the p4p+ remote

I also experienced a lot of crashing and 'app is not responding' force close option screens when trying to use the editor/album.

Even an iPhone 7+ is **** for screen brightness compared that display on the plus remote though, that part really sucks.

Reactions: tpallred
Sounds like you learned the hard way that DJI's android s/w team is less talented than their iOS team. I prefer Android platforms myself, but I learned 2yrs ago that DJI's iOS engineers have a better handle on things. I use iPads for my DJI drones, and to watch my Dish-network programs on airplanes when I travel. Everything else I have is Android.

I worry the CrystalSky displays will be buggy too, and locked from 3rd party apps. That would be unfortunate. I'm hoping that DJI outsources the CrystalSky displays from another vendor that's astute with Android, enough to leave it open to 3rd party apps. I think we'll find out in a couple weeks at NAB.
Whether software limitations or engineering limitations, at this point the controller got to be too much of a hassle for me.

So I have someone interested in trading the stock controller from ny P4P for his Plus P4P controller? Are those of you that have the Plus controller still happy with it and are you still experiencing the screen crashing on you? A may bale on the trade simply because my S7 Edge runs perfectly with no crashes plus it provides over 800nit brightness, so it sites pretty well in direct sunlight. Your thoughts?

So I have someone interested in trading the stock controller from ny P4P for his Plus P4P controller? Are those of you that have the Plus controller still happy with it and are you still experiencing the screen crashing on you? A may bale on the trade simply because my S7 Edge runs perfectly with no crashes plus it provides over 800nit brightness, so it sites pretty well in direct sunlight. Your thoughts?
I would not trade away your P4P controller. Here's are the problems with P4P+:
1. Glitchy s/w, DJI doesn't update Android as much. Someday you may want to try iOS, it just seems to work better. Even DJI employees admit that.
2. Can't load third party apps, can't use Litchi, Autopilot, DroneDeploy, etc. Litchi is awesome, you'll want to try that someday.
3. The P4P+ will not be upgradeable to the Crystal Sky 8" 2000nit display, if you deem that important. You are stuck with the 5.5" display, 1000nit

FYI, if goggles are important to you, just buy the DJI upgrade module with HDMI for $95 and install it.

Reactions: cr6
Are those of you that have the Plus controller still happy with it and are you still experiencing the screen crashing on you?
Mine has been working just fine. I did not run into the glitchy s/w issues that @John Locke is experiencing with his P4P+ remote controller.

If you're happy with the brightness of your S7 Edge, then it seems there's no need to upgrade just for the brighter screen. However, you might want to upgrade to gain the other benefits noted in the video I linked in my first post above.

Reactions: cr6

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94