What's the verdict of the Pro vs Pro Plus?

Reaction score
I've got a Yuneec 4K Typhoon and am looking at the P4P/P4P+. The integrated screen of the Typhoon has advantages but sometimes I think a large screen would be better for these old eyes. Is the P4P+ turning out to be worth being locked into the integrated screen or do you wish you had options?

This video should help you decide:

Reactions: tpallred
Thanks for that. It's a nice summation. Still leaves me with the question though. I completely understand the attraction of a built-in screen since that's what the Typhoon comes with. But that's new to the Phantom world. Given that I understand what the differences are, I'd like to hear from Pro+ owners whether the screen brightness and all-in-one design is worth the tradeoff of choice of larger screens. I understand the extra ports can be added to the Pro so it seems like the integrated screen is the only real difference.

Reactions: inkytog
You're welcome. FWIW, I do own a P4P+ remote controller and everything I could think to mention about it was covered in the video above.

I often fly with an iPhone 7, so the screen size is okay for me. People who are used to flying with a device like an iPad Pro might not like it though.

I have a plus and I like it because it is nice and clean with no cables, but it is just a locked down Android with a little brighter screen so it's not perfect by any means. If I had it to do over, or even if I get to the point where I really want to run some of the 3rd party apps, I will need a GL300F controller, and it just has more flexibility at this time. I cant imagine that DJI will open the door to 3rd party anytime soon if at all, but the built in doesn't fix everything by keeping the unit dedicated to Go4, it still crashes occasionally for me, but not often. That being said, there are a few pluses and minuses either way, but I would say if you can't afford to have both a GL300E AND a GL300F one day ($319 extra if bought new today) then get the GL300F without the screen and get a big tablet. IMHO

I've got a Yuneec 4K Typhoon and am looking at the P4P/P4P+. The integrated screen of the Typhoon has advantages but sometimes I think a large screen would be better for these old eyes. Is the P4P+ turning out to be worth being locked into the integrated screen or do you wish you had options?

If you're wanting to ever fly with Litche or any other app, you'll not be able to do it with the + version until they unlock the screen. I love my P4P and GL300F. I'm using an iPad Air 2. I also got a very short cable from Apple and it's sitting nicely.

My 2 cents worth:
I have the P4P Plus, and I love it. I can open my hard case and be in the air in under a minute, fully connected, GPS, too.
Can't do that with any of my tablet-needing drones.

Any rumors of a larger integrated screen? I saw one YT vid saying that might be an option in Jan-Feb. Obviously that didn't happen. Maybe they'll do something before I might need to make a purchase decision. There's no doubt that the integrated display is attractive from an ease of use POV and is one of the reason's I went with Yuneec. Although I've seen the word Litche a couple of times, and assume it's an app or software, I haven't looked into it to see if that flexibility might be useful. It's kind of funny. How many times in this field have you looked at a UAS and thought, "If it just had this little hardware/software/camera improvement then it would be perfect."? ;)

How likely is DJI to allow third-party apps on their device? They don't strike me as very accommodating.

Since the guy in the video did show that you can activate the developer mode you would be able to sideload apps but that calls for you to get an APK of Litchi or whatever and that you can get to a file explorer type screen to activate it. Then you have to find a way to start it. So possible to do 3rd party but not very easy if at all.

I researched the P3+ for months before ending up with the Yuneec Q500 but that was 2 years ago and I haven't kept up with DJI. Is 3rd party apps on the controller an important issue generally or just in particular niches? And since a string of technical problems combined with a spectacularly unresponsive customer service was the final determiner of me going Q500 instead of P3+, I guess I should ask if DJI has gotten any better at producing a bug free product and acknowledging and fixing problems? USA service center and exceptional customer service really gave Yuneec a leg up in that department. Since Yuneec has fallen a step behind with their H quad I feel the P4P/P4P+ is the only way to go before making a big leap in price but I'd at least like to know what I'm letting myself in for. :)

Reactions: Davidnclearlaketx
I researched the P3+ for months before ending up with the Yuneec Q500 but that was 2 years ago and I haven't kept up with DJI. Is 3rd party apps on the controller an important issue generally or just in particular niches? And since a string of technical problems combined with a spectacularly unresponsive customer service was the final determiner of me going Q500 instead of P3+, I guess I should ask if DJI has gotten any better at producing a bug free product and acknowledging and fixing problems? USA service center and exceptional customer service really gave Yuneec a leg up in that department. Since Yuneec has fallen a step behind with their H quad I feel the P4P/P4P+ is the only way to go before making a big leap in price but I'd at least like to know what I'm letting myself in for. :)

I'm like you, I've got the Q500+, also the Q500 4K and now the P4Pro+ and I like it.
It boots up and connects super fast to the bird and I've had no issues with the DJI app built in other than one app crash when I was changing settings on the ground, but only that one time and never when I've been flying.
It would be nice to later on buy the other P4Pro ground station so you could put a bigger tablet on it so for the price of two extra batteries would do it. Since I'm used to the Yuneec quads with the built in screen and basic flight controls I'm liking the built in screen of the P4P+ as it charges the controller and Android mini tablet at the same time. On the P4P+ there is an HDMI output that you could connect an additional monitor or FPV goggles to it if you wanted.
Going from the Yuneec's to the DJI P4P+ is night and day difference but you have to adjust the camera settings to get the best quality pics and videos. Auto is not always your best quality settings.
I think you'd be happy with either one but coming from Yuneec to DJI I think you'd like the built in screen of the P4P+ the best.
...just my thoughts...
:)

I'm like you, I've got the Q500+, also the Q500 4K and now the P4Pro+ and I like it.
I think you'd be happy with either one but coming from Yuneec to DJI I think you'd like the built in screen of the P4P+ the best.
...just my thoughts...
:)

Thanks. I've got the 4K Q500+ and the original Q. Love both of them - even though the original camera was sub-par. Yeah, maybe the thing to do is get the Pro+ and, like you suggest, add the Pro controller later if there is a need.

Thanks. I've got the 4K Q500+ and the original Q. Love both of them - even though the original camera was sub-par. Yeah, maybe the thing to do is get the Pro+ and, like you suggest, add the Pro controller later if there is a need.
Sounds like a plan! I have an extra ST10+ just in case for the Q's... so getting both controllers for the P4P would be good to cover your bases.
You might just stick with just the + controller w/the screen once you see how bright it is. WAY brighter than a standard phone, tablet or the Yuneec controllers.
That is what I'm going to do later on as DJI is coming out with a super bright "crystal sky" monitor also.
Or just read up on what recommended tablets to use for best brightness and performance. From what I've read your tablet has to be powerful to run the DJI app without glitches.

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's input. :D
I'm sure there will be tons of other people giving you more feedback on this as there are a lot of helpful people on here and also the Y forum. I'm over there also-same username if you need help with anything.
When you get your P4P+ you'll be shocked on how stable and steady it is and all the tons of features and options!
Lots to learn! I put the owners manual on a flash drive, took it down to Kinkos and printed out the whole thing and put in a 3 ring binder to reference different sections and info.
Good luck and safe flying!

I read so many issues with the + so I went for the basic . Besides I use autopilot so not being able to use 3rd party apps was an instant negative. Ive put an HDMI module on the controller now as well , so good to go for anything.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4