What's Latest Thoughts on Marco Polo

Regards MP, I'm sure I have read on this forum someone talking about it working on a 900 MHz (?) , frequency which is not allowed in the UK??
I too was looking for something like this but only found US suppliers on eBay, MP never replied to my emails either...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
P4
x3 batteries
Nexus 7 (2013)

Not sure about frequency restrictions in the U.K., but since you are there you know more than I on the subject.

The Marco Polo operates on 50 frequencies between 902.5 MHz and 906.5 MHz per their manual. Good luck finding something that works for you.

My contact at Marco Polo is Tim Crabtree.
[email protected]. Or [email protected]
Or [email protected]

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

just ordered a MP today ! what sort of mount do you guys use ?
I use a couple of Velcro (hook and loop) straps. One around the main body of the transmitter and one around the antenna. Not very sophisticated but it does the job.

Attachments

• IMG_1005.JPG
    IMG_1005.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 379
I was reading up on the Marco Polo yesterday and watched a lot of videos. One I didn't like is you don't get the direction arrow until you are fairly close. .
That's simply not true, but you didn't define your statement of "fairly close". If you get a signal from the beacon, you get a direction to pursue along with that signal. This can be up to 2mi away, but I've only tested this to 1.5mi, which I don't define as "fairly close".

Reactions: F3honda4me
Ha ha ha - I have this conversation at least once a month...
People just don't understand what GPS/GLONASS is...
Yeah, they are simple receivers that are listening to signals being broadcast from the satellites -
The tracker has to have cel service to RESPOND to your call to it... how else would it communicate with you...

I have had the hardest time talking to someone who said... DJI will lock onto the GPS signal from your drone and tell you where it is... what sheer utter rubbish... spent about an hour back and forth with this neophyte going back and forth, never did get through. My new years resolution is not to try... and yet here I go again.

Aloha all...

PS: myself... I have a Chipolo attached to mine, (have to be within 200ft to activate - it's bluetooth) but my screen map will tell me approx where she came down (except in case of fly away out of range) - then I go there and walk around until signal from Chipolo gets stronger - saved my P3A twice now...

No. I said the tracker has the info but if I have no cell service, I can't call it. If I move to an area that has cell service, I can call it to get the info and then enter the coordinates into my Garmin handheld to go back to area and track it down.
Simple statement here:
BOTH you AND the tracker have to have cel service. You could not call the tracker if the tracker didn't have cel reception - right?

I dont know. You quoted someone with the above first post who said you can't find your tracker if it has no cell service. You seemed to imply you think that the tracker doesn't need cell service for you to find it.

but if the tracker has no cell service, you can't move it to an area that has cell service, because you don't know where it is. So it would remain lost if you only counted on your tracker to find it.

There are 14 pilot reviews and comments on Amazon re the Marco Polo Field Recovery System.
Marco Polo / UAVfind

QUOTE="jim81, post: 1047655, member: 79983"]I did a search for Marco Polo and the most recent are Dec. of last year. However they were about ordering one. The next post is from Sept. 2016...then they go back as far as 2014. Anyone on here used one in the last year or so?
Strongly thinking about ordering one and would sure appreciate anyone's input.
I will mount it to a Pro 4+. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I did a search for Marco Polo and the most recent are Dec. of last year. However they were about ordering one. The next post is from Sept. 2016...then they go back as far as 2014. Anyone on here used one in the last year or so?
I will mount it to a Pro 4+. Thanks.

I did a search for Marco Polo and the most recent are Dec. of last year. However they were about ordering one. The next post is from Sept. 2016...then they go back as far as 2014. Anyone on here used one in the last year or so?
Been using this one (has changed name since, I believe) since my Phantom 1. Whistle GPS Pet Tracker for dogs and cats | Whistle

I have two of them and they work fine.
no gps to worrey about.

The Marco Polo works on 900mhz radio spectrum. No GPS or cell. The range is limited to 2 miles. The 12gr Tag ( transmitter) stays in sleep mode for about 10 days on a charge. Once the locator is turned on the Tag starts pinging every few seconds to give you direction and strength of signal.
There are 14 pilot reviews on Amazon. Also, one locator can be paired with multiple Tags.

Reactions: Casper`s P4
I've been reading a few threads on this. I'm in Colorado and plan to fly in the Rockies. Cell is hit or miss (mostly miss), GPS at ground level is sometimes unreliable because of trees etc. When I hike with a germin it can be off by 1/4 mile at times.

It seems to me MP is the best and really only solution for me although not perfect. For those that have spent more time researching am I on the right track here?

Getting to your original question before all the disagreement started, I use Marco, true it is not perfect but it takes a little practice to use it. The way I see it, it is better than nothing, does work, and is free after purchase to use. Just my 2 cents worth.

Reactions: F3honda4me
but if the tracker has no cell service, you can't move it to an area that has cell service, because you don't know where it is. So it would remain lost if you only counted on your tracker to find it.
I'm aware of that... did you quote me by accident?

How did you mount the Whistle? Is it just the circular disc or does it have to be adapted from the doggie version?

Andrew
There is a rubber O ring thing, similar to how you mount GPS's to bike handlebars. You mount that around one of your legs of the phantom.
20170114_184329.jpg
20170114_184436.jpg

Attachments

• 20170114_184436.jpg
    20170114_184436.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 320
There is a rubber O ring thing, similar to how you mount GPS's to bike handlebars. You mount that around one of your legs of the phantom.View attachment 73408 View attachment 73409
Can the gps unit be separated from the attaching mount? Looks like that could significantly reduce the weight with a velcro attachment instead. Specs say 1.2 oz but it looks heavier with the black parts. Very sensitive to added weight as it can reduce fly time.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor