What's best video editing app?

final cut pro x is very impressive :) - Sorry just read that you said APP LOL

The simple answer is be more explicit in request .. ios or Android or PC or MAC ..............

The words APP etc. are NOT definitive ...

Nigel

I can't share any experience with iPad apps. On the other hand, I did find i-Movie, which is free on Apple iMac, to be easy to use and it came with many "canned" special effects. For more control and personal creativity, I switched to Premier Pro. While Premier Pro requires a steeper learning curve, you can learn a lot from YouTube. Big screen iMac editing allows more creativity and precision. If all you want to do is "cut and splice", I would guess iPad apps are fine.

Here's an example of my first experiment with Premier Pro:
Note at about 4/5 into video there is a drone flight! Sunny days are for drones; rainy days for model railroads.

The term "app" has been used for 30 years for applications that run on PCs, mainframes, or micros. The use of "apps" for iPads/tablets is 30 years later, and does not mean for tablets. Those that deny history will repeat it.

In answer to a number of combined questions - Final Cut Pro X, Resolve, and Premiere are all full featured aps capable of yielding professional deliverables, and run on PCs. The tradeoff with their capability is complexity. Starting off with easier to use solutions can be a good choice, if you don't have any plans to take your edits very deep. Cut editing, simple transitions, and limited color correction is certainly possible in them. If you think you may need to get more sophisticated in the future, recognize that you will need to go through 2 learning curves, the first for the simple app, and then again for the more complex. For the most part, the learning on the first app is thrown away, as the more complex app has it's own interface, and way of doing things.

With older computers, and many new ones, the DJI codec used in 4K imagery is best processed by transcoding the footage to some codec more edit friendly - on the Mac ProRes is the best choice. Ifs you don't transcode before inputting, both Resolve and FCPX allow you to make edit friendly proxies which are very edit friendly, and produce output from the full quality original for delivery.

Streaming media such as YouTube and Vimeo will transcode your output to a streaming format they have optimized for streaming. It is adequate, but if you have been looking at the footage on a 4K calibrated display, you will see significant image quality loss. Vimeo gives you more control of this, and provides higher quality streaming results.

I just started using FilmoraGo. Free iOS app and I liked it so much I went in for the PC version $60. I was using power director but found it couldn't handle 4K. Filmora on PC actually does a decent job of working with 4K (for basic editing). They also have a selection of music that you can use straight from within Filmora (limited selection but some decent music). I'm no pro but I think it is a good alternative basic editor (on PC or iOS).

Not meaning to be rude ... but if OP had said iPad in opening post - then I wouldn't have wasted time posting a reply.

Why do people not put enough detail in their requests ? We do not have crystal balls ...

Sorry .. not meaning to be rude ... but find it frustrating.

Nigel
Nigel, you didn't waste your time. I actually copied and pasted your reply. I'm on a PC. Thanks a bunch for your input and your time. I actually think Sony Vegas is good too. $100.00 but stable. I've spent more than that on dinner before and we all know where
THAT ended up!

I wouldn't leave Resolve out. It is free, works on both Mac and PC, and has the best color grading capability of anything out there. It is also a competent editor, although I would choose FCPX for pure editing. Resolve also has all the editing capability - it isn't lacking anything. My choice is FCPX, as I have been using the FCP versions since FCP v2 10 or so years ago.

The term "app" has been used for 30 years for applications that run on PCs, mainframes, or micros. The use of "apps" for iPads/tablets is 30 years later, and does not mean for tablets. Those that deny history will repeat it.

In answer to a number of combined questions - Final Cut Pro X, Resolve, and Premiere are all full featured aps capable of yielding professional deliverables, and run on PCs. The tradeoff with their capability is complexity. Starting off with easier to use solutions can be a good choice, if you don't have any plans to take your edits very deep. Cut editing, simple transitions, and limited color correction is certainly possible in them. If you think you may need to get more sophisticated in the future, recognize that you will need to go through 2 learning curves, the first for the simple app, and then again for the more complex. For the most part, the learning on the first app is thrown away, as the more complex app has it's own interface, and way of doing things.

With older computers, and many new ones, the DJI codec used in 4K imagery is best processed by transcoding the footage to some codec more edit friendly - on the Mac ProRes is the best choice. Ifs you don't transcode before inputting, both Resolve and FCPX allow you to make edit friendly proxies which are very edit friendly, and produce output from the full quality original for delivery.

Streaming media such as YouTube and Vimeo will transcode your output to a streaming format they have optimized for streaming. It is adequate, but if you have been looking at the footage on a 4K calibrated display, you will see significant image quality loss. Vimeo gives you more control of this, and provides higher quality streaming results.
Premiere Pro CC 2017 also allows creation of proxies at the time of ingest, or later, to handle editing of 4K 60fps P4P footage on any computer that can handle the 1080p proxies. $20/mo as part of the Adobe student multimedia bundle.

Everyone knows app is nowadays referred to for a mobile or tablet device

Windows 10 refers to programs as "apps" to. Go to the Windows store in 10. They seem to be migrating away from programs in favor of "apps" across platforms.

For what it's worth; this Ole Timer just bought the Standard 3 4K and I'm amazed. But I can't thank all of you enough for all the feed back and comments. Most of the time my questions are answered before I ask.
This is my first gadget that I've bought for myself in decades, I love it. Keep the helpful comments comming, greatly appreciated.
Bill, Alabama

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing