What Phantom to buy?

Reaction score
I'm new to drones, and really like what the DJI Phantom has to offer. I started recently with a couple of toy drones to see if I like it. First was an MJX X101, and then a WLToys Q303-A. So, I know how to fly okay now, and can get the birds up and back without crashing them, (anymore, lol). Going to the Q303-A was a huge difference, having the altitude hold. It made things so much easier. The one-axis gimbal made the video much more viewable.

But now I'm at the point where I'm ready for a Phantom, and I'm torn between the 3P and the P4. I like that 4 has collision avoidance and better position hold. I've seen on Amazon [Buy A DJI Phantom - Phantom Help] that prices for a decent P3 package are as low as $799, but then it's only a couple hundred more for a basic P4 package.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
If it still meets your budget, I'd personally go for the P4. The P4 is built better, has a locking prop system, and is more stable than the P3s. You can find a list of other new features in the P4 here.

Is it safe to buy a recon P4? I'm not sure I'm okay with that. I hear their customer support is one of the worst in the business, so I don't know about getting one that has already had issue. Though, of course they are cheaper, but is it worth it? Maybe the recon I get isn't fully fixed...

DJI is selling refurbished P4's. good price, good quad.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Is it safe to buy a recon P4?
It is if it's sold by DJI. If you search this site, you'll see many people are very happy with their refurbished Phantoms. Also, keep in mind that many people who send their Phantoms in for repair are receiving a refurbished unit in return. So, sending out refurbished units is not something new for DJI.

Welcome to the forum David .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Would it better to buy the P4 from a dealer on Amazon, or from DJI on Amazon? In other words, do Amazon authorized dealers offer any additional support to help compensate for the poor DJI support? I do like the refurbished option,

Also, isn't in better if buying on Amazon, to buy from from sellers that are fulfilled by Amazon, to get the Amazon 30 day guarantee? On the link provided here Buy A DJI Phantom - Phantom Help, none seem to be fulfilled by Amazon.

In other words, do Amazon authorized dealers offer any additional support to help compensate for the poor DJI support?
Some might be able to answer basic troubleshoot questions if you call them, but they are going to refer you back to DJI for an warranty issues.

Also, isn't in better if buying on Amazon, to buy from from sellers that are fulfilled by Amazon, to get the Amazon 30 day guarantee?
Yes.

the link provided here Buy A DJI Phantom - Phantom Help, none seem to be fulfilled by Amazon.
My site only shows sellers that are authorized DJI dealers.

I do see a lot of 1 start reviews for the P4 on Amazon...mostly due to poor support. That does worry me, though I do wonder if many of those are customer issues. How is the feeling on their support from members of this group?

Last edited:
Unless you're facing some type of issue that requires your Phantom to be sent in for repair, you will likely find all of the support you could ever want/need here. There are lots of smart Phantom owners in this forum.

Reactions: Simzy666
I see a lot of comments on this forum of The P4 dropping out of the sky, with what seems like a lost power issue. Users are then reporting the battery was not dead. I'm not finding that reported on the P3P/A. Is tha an issue with the P4? It does seem to be reported a lot. Is there some battery latching issue, where is possible users are not getting the battery latched good? That kind of worries me.

I see a lot of comments on this forum of The P4 dropping out of the sky, with what seems like a lost power issue
I'm not seeing many reports like this. Whatever reports you are seeing represent an extremely tiny number of Phantom owners. If this was really a widespread issue, you'd see hundreds of reports of this here daily.

I'm not seeing many reports like this. Whatever reports you are seeing represent an extremely tiny number of Phantom owners. If this was really a widespread issue, you'd see hundreds of reports of this here daily.

It is often the case on any popular product, that you see every dissatisfied user making comments, but only a few satisfied users take the same time, so I do understand. However, in the general forum, there are a large amount of the posts indicating issues of some type.

It's not going to change my opinion, but I want to be as safe as possible. I wish there was a Phantom or DJI group of some sort in my area of central Florida.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl