What feature will make you upgrade to P4 ?

A way better camera/bitrate and codec.

Obstacle avoidance that can detect (finer) branches and not only big brick walls! Very nice for mountain biking filming.

Obstacle avoidance
Significant improvement to range
Significant improvement to flight time

Nothing else really. I think anything else would be a bit of a timid and only used for a few flights.

For me in order to upgrade to a possible P4 I would want to have some or all of the following:

.Longer battery life, at least a full 30 minutes with 30% battery left
.When recording in 4K (for those with 4K option) to be able to record the video in 1 single file not split by the 4gb limit which is currently in the phantom itself
.Different colors
.Some type of obstacle avoidance tech
.And last but not least, something in the 20+ megapixel range for stills, because 12 megapixels in 2016 and with a 4K capable camera, really?, cameras with 12 megapixels were available since 2008 if I remember correctly, we are talking at least 8 years ago, we need more megapixels for stills

20+ megapixels NEEDED lol.

The newest top of the line SLR's are only just starting to make use of that sort of pixel count.

If you're disappointed with your pics do some self learning on basic photography principles and I bet you'll find it's more ISO or shutter speed related than pixel count,

If you're just assuming that more is better (like the stupid pixel counts they are cramming into the tiny sensors in phones) therefore you need 20+ I can almost guarantee the lens won't be good enough quality to see a difference between a 12mp and 20mp print.

This makes for good reading on the subject if you don't want to take my word for it. The Megapixel Myth

I would like to see obstacle avoidance, longer battery times, an optical zoom and aperture adjustment to better control exposure and largely eliminate the need for neutral density filters. I have never seen a digital zoom worth a ****. Of course, one can just move closer or farther and achieve a similar effect, except that with the wide angle camera close ups are very limited and one doesn't achieve the "compressed" look or bokeh effect of an optical zoom. And even with more megapixels, cropping the image might produce a simulated zoom of more quality than the 12.4 MP we now have, but does not produce these effects.

Hey guys and gals.

I just purchased P3 pro 3 days ago and just found out that on march 1 DJI will announce P4 with tentative ship dates at the end if march.
Since i have 45 days to return it i was thinking about what will it take for me.

And i think 2 important features that i would like are:

1) Obstacle avoidance
2) Follow me feature without having the remote on you.

Longer flight time is nice, but 25 min or 30 min is not a big deal for me.

So how about the rest of you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) Removable camera so I can use camera of my choice
2) available Thermal camera (lsame system for Insipire)

With optical you have additional weight of the optics & larger gimbal to handle the load. Then you have the cost of replacement in a crash. Digital with the right sensor makes more sense as far as complexity, weight, crashworthiness, & cost.. A few years ago Nokia released a Lumia cell phone with a 41 megapixel sensor. That's over 3x the pixels of sensor in a Phantom 3. Something like this should offer ~3x digital zoom at comparable quality to the current camera.
I totally agree with you on the digital zoom. Who wants the extra baggage with a long lens to pack around?

Hey guys and gals.

I just purchased P3 pro 3 days ago and just found out that on march 1 DJI will announce P4 with tentative ship dates at the end if march.
Since i have 45 days to return it i was thinking about what will it take for me.

1) Obstacle avoidance

1. The ability to use Follow Mode with elevation changes to rise in altitude while following, instead of flying into a mountain side. Many Tablets such as Air2 have the Barometer and GPS and would work great if the application allowed it. The Litchi App reads the elevation and altitude, but they don't utilize it either.

Last edited:
I've had my P3A for only six months and am perfectly happy with it and the Go App. I won't be upgrading.

I'd go for a micro 4/3 sensor in the camera with ISO 25600 support, along with a Micky mouse 4X digital zoom (to keep it light). That along with Lightbridge 2 using H.265 compression, 50ms latency and 1080p downlink, I think that would get my interest. 30min flight time would be nice. However, all this would likely be in the $2000 to $3000 range. This setup would be awesome to backpack. Maybe someday. Maybe in July.:rolleyes:
Basically a cheap(er) dream edition Inspire. Micro 4/3 is only in the Zenmuse X5 and X5R so far. Even the X3 only has the same Exmor R as the P3P/A.

Hi guys,

Honestly I am very satisfied with my P3 Pro, I have it since 1 year now. I fly it over Prague (CZ) where I leave. If I have to improve points :

1) Software and firmware update: I guess this is always delicate for me. Should be done automatically in one go on all the devices. In other words software should be downloaded to the IPad, Iphone.. what ever and then these devices should update the bird the controls and the batteries transparently.
Little bit like computer software are updated in the background. The process now involves to many interfaces the risk of errors are important.

2) Flight simulator should be available without the need of turning the bird on. I can t concentrate on the flight simulator when the bird is beeping and flashing on the table (also It scares and stresses my canary bird :) )

You can always improve features , but honestly I will not use my P3 for dodging obstacles, I would rather work on software debugging and making sure that over time the bird becomes famous for its reliability.

Sky for all.
M

Basically a cheap(er) dream edition Inspire. Micro 4/3 is only in the Zenmuse X5 and X5R so far. Even the X3 only has the same Exmor R as the P3P/A.
Yes, pretty much a miniature Inspire 2, without retracts or rotating camera. I want it small enough to backpack, but have the awesome camera of the X5, but with Lightbridge 2. Am I asking too much? I don't think it will happen, as the X5 camera alone is more than the projected 1700 price tag for P4P, plus the Inspire doesn't even have Lightbridge 2 yet. I'm hoping they introduce Inspire 2 on March 1st. It's due for a model upgrade more than Phantom, and LB2 would be the obvious upgrade, along with a bigger battery.

Today's obstacle avoidance is not what most people think. The Typhoon H using the Intel Real Sense obstacle avoidance technology cannot detect limbs or power wires. I'm sure having it is better than nothing if it was on all 4 sides, which the Typhoon H doesn't, it's only implemented on the front. I often do sideways flying to get the shot I want and I often worry about running into things since I can't see the direction I'm traveling. It takes special setup and observation before the shot, so I know there's nothing there, but it would nice to have extra insurance on the sides, more than just the front.

20+ megapixels NEEDED lol.

The newest top of the line SLR's are only just starting to make use of that sort of pixel count.
I think you are talking about the same technology from 8 years ago because there are DSLR's with 24, 28, 36, 52, and even a 50.6 megapixel cameras available since years back, and Canon even has a 120 megapixel (not for retail) and has even developed a 250 megapixel prototype (obviously for other applications, not regular photography), but the point is that the technology is there and has been there.

If you're disappointed with your pics do some self learning on basic photography principles and I bet you'll find it's more ISO or shutter speed related than pixel count,
Not disappointed with my stills, I'm no pro but I'm getting better, I'm not complaining about that, if I want to shoot stills and have PRO's settings then I'll buy one of these said cameras, that wasn't the point

If you're just assuming that more is better (like the stupid pixel counts they are cramming into the tiny sensors in phones) therefore you need 20+ I can almost guarantee the lens won't be good enough quality to see a difference between a 12mp and 20mp print.
I've never assumed that more megapixels necessarily means better pictures, but they could easily equip the phantom with a higher quality higher megapixel count (it's just a wish)

And if you don't wanna take my word for it and want some reading yourself then here you go
Canon's 5DS SLR has a monster 50.6 megapixel image sensor
and
Canon's DSLR camera boasts an insane 120-megapixels

Done with topic

Hey guys and gals.

1) Obstacle avoidance

Obstacle avoidance -- #1.

It's existence. I will buy it because I have a problem with gear lust and buy all new products (especially under 5k) that are in my hobby because I have a problem.

That said, I would love Guidance (from Mateice) as an integrated part because non-integrated obstacle avoidance is a nightmare logistically but they want to make money.

This is a very important time for DJI because they didn't just splash at CES like Yuneed did. In the outside world that is not this place. Yuneed is seriously contending with DJI which is why I am hoping the Phantom 4 or whatever destroys it because I love DJI as a company and think they are great at CS, but hey I'm different.

Removable lenses would be awesome but too pro.

just a good machine that destroys the best piece of electronics ever that is the Phantom 3.

Until it actually comes out and the features are known nothing will make me upgrade. The $1700 price tag if that is legit is enough to keep me away for 1 or 2 upgrades that don't do much more than what I have right now based on what is known or should I say unknown right now on it..

I really feel there is no such thing as a high quality digital zoom. I have, to date, never seen one. Optical zoom is where its at. If you want quality, then you need optics to get it.
So is there a way to put a optical zoom on the P3P?

For me, nothing. The pricepoint is above what I feel comfortable spending on an AP Quad being a non-photographer. Based on the leaked stuff even collision avoidance isn't "advanced" enough to make it a factor.

What I want in a AP Quad and what I'm willing to pay isn't going to be around for a few more years...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl