What computer are people using for 4K editing?

Reaction score
I am in the market of a new computer to edit my 4K video. I would like to to a laptop but I could go with a regular desktop if the price is right. What I have seen that 4K editing could cost more than what I paid for my bird. I am interested in what computer everyone else is using. I am trying to keep the price down. Thank you for your input in advance.

My 4 year old MacBook Air struggled with 4k,
I just purchased a new MacBook Pro and it has no problem with 4k.
I use imovie to edit, not a single problem.

2011 i7 3.4ghz iMac, 12 gigs of RAM. It works just fine, though it's not fast.

By contrast, my 2010 i5 17" Macbook Pro *really* struggles with 4K... It's generally a pretty capable machine, top-notch when it was new, handles HD very nicely, but even playing 4K video or attempting to compress a couple minutes of 4K down to HD will bring it to its knees. It just can't push a 4K data stream through its innards.

I'm using a 4 year old MacBook Pro as well. I may install some more ram and a SSD for 4K editing. I pretty much have to stick to 1080 if I want to keep the footage workable.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I use Mac book pro to process my 2.7k videos

I'm using a mid-2012 Macbook Pro with 16gb RAM. It handles 4k in FCP without any issues but struggles a bit with some of my Motion projects in 4k.

Well, if you are going to edit and output 4K, it is important to be able to see 4K in pixels. That means having a 4K screen. And that means having a computer with a GPU that can gracefully push that many pixels around.

In my view, the most cost efficient solution is the 4K Retina 21.5 inch iMac. You can buy a refurbished one from Apple for as little as $1269. If that seems like a lot, go price an IPS 4K display from anybody. And then realize you still need to buy the computer.

Add Final Cut Pro X to the Retina iMac for $299. Now you have a capable computer, a beautiful (and color-accurate) hi-rez screen and one of the best nonlinear editing applications in the world. Problem solved.

what software are you using to render videos.
i am using Adobe Premiere CC 2015. when i move timeline, it's lag/delay about 1s, not quick response.
my computer : xeon E3 1231V3, GTX960, 8Gb Ram, samsung 950 pro SSD.
is this computer enough for rendering video?

Well, I'll jump in with my Windows solution-a Toshiba S55T laptop with a Skylake I7, 16GB, 4GB GPU, 500GB SSD, 4K touchscreen. Using Cyberlink Director 14 and Premiere Elements. Plays 4K flawlessly and renders quick. Got it last month for about $1100, about half of what a comparable Apple product would be.

My desktop is a little overkill for 4k as it was designed as a gaming machine, so it was a little pricey because of the graphics card which doesn't do much for Adobe Premiere Pro anyways. For a full build, looking at between $1500-2000 depending on the graphics card you choose and the amount of hard drive space. This is what I am running:
Intel Skylake i7-6700k 4.0 GHz, 32GB DDR4 2400, nVidia 980 Strix 4GB, 3x1TB SSD

My laptop is a couple years old, but still can process 4k without too much problem. The render time is a few times as slow as the desktop, but that is to be expected from an older notebook that was also meant for gaming. Editing the videos does not push the system too hard and there are very few times where the computer has to pause to catch up.
Alienware m14x, Intel i7-3630QM 2.4 GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600, nVidia 650m 1GB, 2x250GB (m.2 & mSATA) SSD

Sony Vegas Pro 13 so im stuck on windows 10

4 GHz i5, 16 GB 2400 Mhz DDR3, AMD R9 390x, 2TB Raid 0 array (8 250GB SSD's), 2 TB of regular disk drives and a 250gb M.2 boot drive. At night everything gets backed up to my NAS. Overkill but I get lots of goodies through work and I am a nerd.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl