Well it happened

jimdenburg said:
offtosleep said:
Everyone will say it must be pilot error...until it happens to them!

Sorry for your loss! I know exactly how you feel.

Yup...Admittedly that's what I professed until it happened to me. I do have a question...How long does it take to come back when in RTH? I've been waiting for mine since Saturday night.
:D :D :D :D Funny bastard. :)

plasmo said:
Havavision said:
When it happened it took off at a speed unheard of. People (that are in the know) couldn't believe how FAST it was going!! Thank goodness it happened where it did and enough people saw the area where it went down. Quite a distance, but well within range.....

i smell something fishy :ugeek:

Not me... I'm getting a whiff of fertilizer... :)

Jerry, your entire story lacks credibility. Everyone on here knows what you should, and shouldn't know. You say you have experience, but most of your comments suggest otherwise. I don't know what your story is, but at least it's been entertaining.

Flyer91 said:
tizzl10 said:
lol. comedy.

Yes, yes .... I'll be here all week ..... try the veal!! ;)

I like the long distance viddys you posted Jay.
2 miles +!! :eek:
Makes me wanna jump back in right now!!

Lots of good stuff for the Phantom, and more reports of no problems, are showing up.
I just need to see less real/credible problems, and more success stories to do it all again.
I do think that 'will' eventually happen. :)

lol. thanks..thing is a blast!

Doono said:
Jerry, your entire story lacks credibility. Everyone on here knows what you should, and shouldn't know. You say you have experience, but most of your comments suggest otherwise. I don't know what your story is, but at least it's been entertaining.

Wow Must be nice being YOU and judging someone you don't know!! Any how Im glad I was able to entertain you!! :D

Hey Jerry, if you get a chance sometime I'd be interested in seeing some youtube viddys of the intakes close up, and a slow fly-over from lake to river side of the dam with the camera pointed straight down .... assuming they haven't banned flying there. :?: :?: :?:

You're in a perfect area for a Phantom!
With more shore line than California's coast, you must have some awesome places to viddy with a Phantom!

Man ...... I'd love to rent a houseboat and take some viddys of the ancient Indian ruins that can only be gotten to by boat and a Phantom ....... especially for somebody that can't repel anymore. :(
Besides .... I wouldn't be surprised if that's the 'only' way to get pictures these days (park service may have banned actually climbing up to them :?: :?: :?: ).
If you already have some viddys on a photo site, please post some links. :cool:

Flyer91 said:
Hey Jerry, if you get a chance sometime I'd be interested in seeing some youtube viddys of the intakes close up, and a slow fly-over from lake to river side of the dam with the camera pointed straight down .... assuming they haven't banned flying there. :?: :?: :?:

With more shore line than California's coast, you must have some awesome places to viddy with a Phantom!

Man ...... I'd love to rent a houseboat and take some viddys of the ancient Indian ruins that can only be gotten to by boat and a Phantom ....... especially for somebody that can't repel anymore. :(
Besides .... I wouldn't be surprised if that's the 'only' way to get pictures these days (park service may have banned actually climbing up to them :?: :?: :?: ).

You got it.. Lots to see, especially a area called the gorge...beautiful London bridge.. historic..Have to wait till I get my replacement Plus, as the camera with the 3 axis gimbal has it all over the PV2 Jerry

Havavision said:
Flyer91 said:

You got it.. Lots to see, especially a area called the gorge...beautiful London bridge.. historic..Have to wait till I get my replacement Plus, as the camera with the 3 axis gimbal has it all over the PV2 Jerry

In my younger days, when I came back from Vietnam, I was stationed at Norton AFB in San Bernardino until my hitch was up, and we used to go on leave to LH and "The River" to party.
Great times!! :D

I can remember when the bridge was moved there and reconstructed in the late '60's/early 70's.
Glad you can still fly over (and maybe even through :?: :?: the windows) in Parker!
I'll keep a lookout for your viddys ......

Thanks,

Gary

Flyer91 said:
Havavision said:
Flyer91 said:

In my younger days, when I came back from Vietnam, I was stationed at Norton AFB in San Bernardino until my hitch was up, and we used to go on leave to LH and "The River" to party.
Great times!! :D

I can remember when the bridge was moved there and reconstructed in the late '60's/early 70's.
Glad you can still fly over (and maybe even through :?: :?: the windows) in Parker!
I'll keep a lookout for your viddys ......

Thanks,

Gary

Hey Gary I was over THERE in 1970 as well... Flew the real copters then!!

That's a real kick!
I was with JUSMAG (Joint US Military Advisory Group) training Cambodians and Laotians to do sneaky stuff. ;)

As I go over the different Phantom forums I see a few of us that were over there, and have been involved in RC over the years, and now are into shooting viddys with the Phantom.

As I indicated in this thread, I'm currently Phantomless ..... (after 4 false starts that required my returning them) will remain so until I get a better feel for them being a tad more consistently good, and less the luck of the draw.
And it 'seems' we are headed in that positive direction more every week ....... so I remain hopeful. :)
That ..... and I'd kind'a like to see how this summer plays out WRT: any new laws/bannings.

It's difficult not to just cross my fingers and jump in again, especially when I see lots of people with 'many' flights and no problems ...... along with the cool things people are adding/modding, like tizzl10 getting over 10k ft with a 5.8GH 1 watt amp and some other goodies (see his viddy at : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzMJojxp9pM) as well as the new Epson Moverio glasses, and etc.
And ...... I just really miss having one, so it's a battle of the will that I just might not win!! :lol: :lol:

Come on Jerry, you can't be serious?

"I have been flying quads pv2 blade 350qx and at least 10 rc planes for quite awhile, so inexperience I think not."

But you have no footage of the lake whatsoever?

"You got it.. Lots to see, especially a area called the gorge...beautiful London bridge.. historic..Have to wait till I get my replacement Plus, as the camera with the 3 axis gimbal has it all over the PV2 Jerry"

Oh......I forgot......please continue, this story keeps getting better. :D

sar104 said:
Havavision said:
With posts from emcsquar I think I'll let this post die before I say something I will wish I haven't said. I have been flying quads pv2 blade 350qx and at least 10 rc planes for quite awhile, so inexperience I think not. There is a definite problem with the plus and if you are fortunate enough to not have a problem I am happy for you. No pictures and it really did happen!, thanks to the rest of you for the responses. Jerry

It's good of you to share your unfortunate experience with the community but, without any of the relevant details that you seem unwilling to provide, the information is of marginal use to others and totally inadequate to enable helpful analysis of what might have happened in this case.[/quote

I don't blame him. Most are going to point a finger at pilot error no matter what data is disclosed. It's ridiculous. People asking for data won't be able to process it relate because it hasn't happened to them....yet. Hence the pilot error comments. Once it does happen to them, and it will...then and only then will it not be pilot error. I've had it happen twice. Both times I bit the bullet and powered down the phantom. Let it fall and repair. It's software coding. It's happens to every circuit board, EPROM or CPU on the planet at one time or another. All it takes us a one character glitch to generate havoc. Every time we hit the sky it is Russian roulette. Give the guy a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiteram said:
sar104 said:
Havavision said:
With posts from emcsquar I think I'll let this post die before I say something I will wish I haven't said. I have been flying quads pv2 blade 350qx and at least 10 rc planes for quite awhile, so inexperience I think not. There is a definite problem with the plus and if you are fortunate enough to not have a problem I am happy for you. No pictures and it really did happen!, thanks to the rest of you for the responses. Jerry

It's good of you to share your unfortunate experience with the community but, without any of the relevant details that you seem unwilling to provide, the information is of marginal use to others and totally inadequate to enable helpful analysis of what might have happened in this case.

I don't blame him. Most are going to point a finger at pilot error no matter what data is disclosed. It's ridiculous. People asking for data won't be able to process it relate because it hasn't happened to them....yet. Hence the pilot error comments. Once it does happen to them, and it will...then and only then will it not be pilot error. I've had it happen twice. Both times I bit the bullet and powered down the phantom. Let it fall and repair. It's software coding. It's happens to every circuit board, EPROM or CPU on the planet at one time or another. All it takes us a one character glitch to generate havoc. Every time we hit the sky it is Russian roulette. Give the guy a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not criticizing or pointing fingers at all, merely pointing out that the information supplied was inadequate for any kind of informed assessment to be made. Now if you are arguing not to provide such information because it will make no difference then I'm afraid that you misunderstand the motivation for this forum. And, either way, in that case there is no point posting at all. Unless he is just looking for sympathy.

As for your other assertions, we know without question that many Phantom failures are hardware, such as solder joints, prop failure, cracked GPS antennas etc., not software. Many failures are also pilot error. It's not clear to me that all that many crashes are due to bad software, at least in the Phantom. The battery issue may be an example of a software problem.

myvrodrocks said:
Here is my "fly away". I was brand new at the phantom. It was a bit out of sight and I lost orientation. I panicked and turned off the transmitter. The video shows its flight home. Transmitter was OFF! http://youtu.be/aOgED_6Jp8Q

I hope that is taken with a Vision 2 and not a Plus as the picture is very unstable...Happy you got it back tho and my problem was not loosing orientation...Jerry And this is not meant to be negative ;)

Ok, so mine just flew away 10 mins ago! I had 10 satellites, home locked in, and live in a very rural area. No previous interference in this area. What has been describe is almost what happened to me. Lost all satellites, then I could see it tilt at a funny angle to the right and then gone. I flew this afternoon and it seemed buggy so I recalibrated the compass and for the first 10 mins it flew well. I tried atti mode, failsafe, shut the controller off, and then tried to shut the motors off. Just prior I had tried home lock to see how it handled and it did just fine. This was my forth flight with this machine. I have over 70 flights with my P2V and kind of feel like I know what I'm doing. Now I'm out $1300 if I can't find it in the 5000 acres behind my house. Is there no recourse to get refunded?

Petereesha said:
Ok, so mine just flew away 10 mins ago! I had 10 satellites, home locked in, and live in a very rural area. No previous interference in this area. What has been describe is almost what happened to me. Lost all satellites, then I could see it tilt at a funny angle to the right and then gone. I flew this afternoon and it seemed buggy so I recalibrated the compass and for the first 10 mins it flew well. I tried atti mode, failsafe, shut the controller off, and then tried to shut the motors off. Just prior I had tried home lock to see how it handled and it did just fine. This was my forth flight with this machine. I have over 70 flights with my P2V and kind of feel like I know what I'm doing. Now I'm out $1300 if I can't find it in the 5000 acres behind my house. Is there no recourse to get refunded?

According to a lot of "the know it alls" on this site they will say it was your fault. I KNOW BETTER!! Sorry for your loss, at least I found mine. There is a definite problem with these units. I too had no problems with my PV2 after many hours of flight..Jerry

Another bit of info. The "find my Phantom" showed the location where it lost GPS signal. I walked to the exact spot in a wheat field and it corresponds to the last thing I saw. I have flown Atti mode many times with my P2V but the + responded to nothing. I always pay attention to my telemetry and whatever happened was very sudden. I was no more that 500 ft out at 190 ft up, gentle left turn to go home....I've done this route so many times I couldn't believe what was happening.

As in the other thread, sorry to read this and I hope you find it again.
Also once again ..... in view of some people here that will jump you for posting what happened, thanks for having the courage to tell the truth anyway.
And I'm cyber passing you one of my better flame suits .... in case you might need it. ;)

I guess I'm double threading....I'm hoping to get some answers to this obvious problem. Again thanks for the support.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl