Well it happened

In the beginning I tested the failsafe go-home from short distance (Phantom mode, had to turn off remote. Never again. You can't regain control).

I disagree with this statement. I have regained control many times on RTH when in Phantom mode. The factory default settings for the RC controller are that when in RTH mode, you flip switch S1 down to any other position once to regain control. This is also stated in the Phantom 2 Vision+ User Manual under "4.2 Failsafe Procedure".

Havavision said:
With posts from emcsquar I think I'll let this post die before I say something I will wish I haven't said. I have been flying quads pv2 blade 350qx and at least 10 rc planes for quite awhile, so inexperience I think not. There is a definite problem with the plus and if you are fortunate enough to not have a problem I am happy for you. No pictures and it really did happen!, thanks to the rest of you for the responses. Jerry

It's good of you to share your unfortunate experience with the community but, without any of the relevant details that you seem unwilling to provide, the information is of marginal use to others and totally inadequate to enable helpful analysis of what might have happened in this case.

srandall25 said:
I personally would be interested in the specifics just to help those of us who have read about these stories and are trying to determine possible causes so that way may somehow avoid them if possible. If you could possibly answer these questions I would really appreciate it. Please don't take offense to the questions as I know some may very well be obvious to you or most.
1) Did you perform the compass calibration prior to flight? If not, was it last performed in the same location you last flew from? No but had flown earlier in the same location with NO problems
2) Were their power lines or possibly anything nearby that could have potentially caused signal interference? NO none for at least a mile
3) Could you describe the behavior in any more detail? How high was it? Did it exhibit any erratic behavior? Less than 100 feet no problem till fly away
4) Did it respond to any control inputs in any way once you realized that it was flying away uncommandedly, None what soever
5) Were you able to connect power to it enough to pull any error codes from it? NO
6) Did you have 6 or more satellites locked once you started your motors? Yes had 10 as I was showing this on the I pad stating to all that I need at least 6 for GPS lock
7) Did you happen to change out the propellers prior to this flight? If so, did you use DJI props or another brand? NO brand new and balanced. Will not use anything other than DJI props

We appreciate your input.

sar104 Im not unwilling to give info, Gee why would I be?? I just posted yesterday to let the good folks on this forum know I had a problem. It seems everyone has there own theory and I appreciate hearing them.. I seem to sense some negativity when all I was doing was stating what had had happened to me and participate on this forum...Jerry

Havavision said:
sar104 Im not unwilling to give info, Gee why would I be?? I just posted yesterday to let the good folks on this forum know I had a problem. It seems everyone has there own theory and I appreciate hearing them.. I seem to sense some negativity when all I was doing was stating what had had happened to me and participate on this forum...Jerry

But you completely ignored all the requests for specifics. Whatever the reason, that precludes useful discussion.

Havavision said:
Post pictures of the carnage to satisfy the vultures. Also please understand we are trying to get a general consensus on why this happens to some and not others. Details on what lead upto it would help. thanks

sar104 said:
Havavision said:

But you completely ignored all the requests for specifics. Whatever the reason, that precludes useful discussion.

Go back four posts and READ my Answers Thanks Jerry

Skipholiday said:
Havavision said:
Post pictures of the carnage to satisfy the vultures. Also please understand we are trying to get a general consensus on why this happens to some and not others. Details on what lead upto it would help. thanks

Skip No pictures as I said yesterday I packaged this up and sent if off within a couple of hours of disaster. :D

Havavision said:
Skipholiday said:
Havavision said:

Skip No pictures as I said yesterday I packaged this up and sent if off within a couple of hours of disaster. :D
Thats fine, but you must admit pictures would support the story.
Normally the 1st thing people do is snap a pic of the carnage to get help.. You didn't so I really see this thread going no further than being a place for debate on why you didn't do this that or the other and that will help no-one.
I hope your new Vision does perfect.

offtosleep said:
Everyone will say it must be pilot error...until it happens to them!

Sorry for your loss! I know exactly how you feel.

Yup...Admittedly that's what I professed until it happened to me. I do have a question...How long does it take to come back when in RTH? I've been waiting for mine since Saturday night.

Havavision said:
sar104 said:
Havavision said:

Go back four posts and READ my Answers Thanks Jerry

Ah - missed those answers because you hid them in the quoted post. OK then, that leaves the fundamental questions asked by EMCSQUAR. Plus, you were in IOC. So, height, range, speed, direction, elapsed time, weather, control inputs immediately prior to the event, direction and character of flyaway (maintained altitude, course or not etc.), did you still have video at that time, light pattern on Phantom (could you see it), post-mortem inspection results etc. etc. That's what we mean by specifics, as opposed to "it went crazy, flew off at impossible speed and crashed". No video simply because you were not recording presumably.

jimdenburg said:
offtosleep said:

Yup...Admittedly that's what I professed until it happened to me. I do have a question...How long does it take to come back when in RTH? I've been waiting for mine since Saturday night.

I'd give it a few more days.

sar104 said:
jimdenburg said:
offtosleep said:

I'd give it a few more days.

Awesome thanks! I was beginning to lose hope!

jimdenburg said:
offtosleep said:

Oh dear.... If it hasn't come home by now, I don't hold out much hope :cry:

Phantom_Menace66 said:
jimdenburg said:
offtosleep said:

Oh dear.... If it hasn't come home by now, I don't hold out much hope :cry:

So you think it could be here?

Attachments

• gatesheaven copy.jpg
    gatesheaven copy.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 326
Havavision said:
srandall25 said:
I personally would be interested in the specifics just to help those of us who have read about these stories and are trying to determine possible causes so that way may somehow avoid them if possible. If you could possibly answer these questions I would really appreciate it. Please don't take offense to the questions as I know some may very well be obvious to you or most.
1) Did you perform the compass calibration prior to flight? If not, was it last performed in the same location you last flew from? No but had flown earlier in the same location with NO problems
2) Were their power lines or possibly anything nearby that could have potentially caused signal interference? NO none for at least a mile
3) Could you describe the behavior in any more detail? How high was it? Did it exhibit any erratic behavior? Less than 100 feet no problem till fly away
4) Did it respond to any control inputs in any way once you realized that it was flying away uncommandedly, None what soever
5) Were you able to connect power to it enough to pull any error codes from it? NO
6) Did you have 6 or more satellites locked once you started your motors? Yes had 10 as I was showing this on the I pad stating to all that I need at least 6 for GPS lock
7) Did you happen to change out the propellers prior to this flight? If so, did you use DJI props or another brand? NO brand new and balanced. Will not use anything other than DJI props

We appreciate your input.

I can't say this had anything to do with your flyaway, but if I recall correctly, you said you were flying in IOC mode when this happened and above you mentioned that you did not perform a compass calibration prior to flight or since you changed location. IOC mode definitely requires use of the compass. If it doesn't know its correct orientation then it will not respond appropriately in IOC mode.. Of course you mentioned that it didn't respond to any control inputs as well so that doesn't really explain that, unless there was some signal interference... For others reading this, I would definitely recommend a compass calibration prior to flight at a new location, especially when flying IOC mode.

Havavision said:
With posts from emcsquar I think I'll let this post die before I say something I will wish I haven't said. I have been flying quads pv2 blade 350qx and at least 10 rc planes for quite awhile, so inexperience I think not. There is a definite problem with the plus and if you are fortunate enough to not have a problem I am happy for you. No pictures and it really did happen!, thanks to the rest of you for the responses. Jerry

Hey Jerry, not saying what you want to say it the exact aim of some of the people here.
I suspect that some are unofficial "fanboy" agents of DJI, and are trying to suppress the reports from people having issues with their products, and some are just flies .... and we all know what flies do. ;)
Once again .. just ignore anyone not providing information.

The post above is IMHO: an example of something helpful.
The Phantom does not fly off GPS when in IOC.
It (as scrandall25 wrote) flies off the compass, so that is something that needs to be comprehended.

The other folks trying to make you out to be an idiot, liar, or are being disingenuous, are just being assholes.
I can only assume that's because you are (in their feeble minds) diss'ing their babies. :?: :?: :?:
The real stupid thing is that they have a vested interest in people complaining if they want DJI to improve the Phantom's spotted record.
But possibly they think they are protecting their investment in case they also have problems and might want to dump a wish-washy, "luck of the draw", 'Chinese' made product. ;)

Flyer91 said:
Havavision said:

Hey Jerry, not saying what you want to say it the exact aim of some of the people here.
I suspect that some are unofficial "fanboy" agents of DJI, and are trying to suppress the reports from people having issues with their products, and some are just flies .... and we all know what flies do. ;)
Once again .. just ignore anyone not providing information.

The post above is IMHO: an example of something helpful.
The Phantom does not fly off GPS when in IOC.
It (as scrandall25 wrote) flies off the compass, so that is something that needs to be comprehended.

The other folks trying to make you out to be an idiot, liar, or are being disingenuous, are just being assholes.
I can only assume that's because you are (in their feeble minds) diss'ing their babies. :?: :?: :?:
The real stupid thing is that they have a vested interest in people complaining if they want DJI to improve the Phantom's spotted record.
But possibly they think they are protecting their investment in case they also have problems and might want to dump a wish-washy, "luck of the draw", 'Chinese' made product. ;)

Thanks for the POSITIVE post.. Makes me feel better about posting..Jerry

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl