Was it a drone? British airways flight

Why is that crazy? The relevant area around airports is the area in which aircraft are maneuvering at altitudes and speeds that may put them at risk of collision with UAVs. With the current altitude limit on Phantoms of 500 m, an exclusion area (or at least additional altitude restriction area) extending out 5 miles from an airport, seems completely appropriate. Operating closer than that should legitimately require ATC clearance and coordination.

Drones maybe able to fly 500m (and much higher in some cases) but can be set to fly at 400 ft (as per default setting in P3S). There has to be some responsibility on the owner to abide by regulations. If there is a need to extend no fly zones then why not simply, based on GPS, restrict the altitude that the drone can fly automatically. In this instance where the plane wasn't hit by a drone it was at 1600 ft, so if auto limited to 400ft the drone could still be used.

Reactions: BigAl07
Drones maybe able to fly 500m (and much higher in some cases) but can be set to fly at 400 ft (as per default setting in P3S). There has to be some responsibility on the owner to abide by regulations. If there is a need to extend no fly zones then why not simply, based on GPS, restrict the altitude that the drone can fly automatically. In this instance where the plane wasn't hit by a drone it was at 1600 ft, so if auto limited to 400ft the drone could still be used.

That's exactly how the DJI NFZs already work - with distance-dependent altitude restrictions.

Just limit all personal quad transmitter range to max of 300m

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Doubt this will ever happen. It would be like telling Detroit (or any other manufacture) to build cars that don't exceed the speed limit

Even if they did, people would hack the radios as we do now

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: sar104
Just as I thought. Fear mongering spin doctor rubbish by the media.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Not if you make a nice tin foil hat for your drone - just like the one that you presumably wear.
Really so instead of just leaving the comment alone you want to make jokes and try and make him sound stupid :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ghost Rider
Really so instead of just leaving the comment alone you want to make jokes and try and make him sound stupid :rolleyes:
Somebody call the fire department, cuz you just got roasted.

Are we going for the "longest thread" record?

I'm sure many threads are longer than this one.

So...it looks like the "drone strike" may have been an overreaction by the police and in fact, a floating plastic bag. I was a bit skeptical when ground crews found absolutely ZERO damage on the plane. Well-played, everyone involved. Idiots.

Last edited:
What did the police have to do with it?
A pilot reported it to the tower/ATC.

Story I read said it was the police that released a tweet that it was a drone strike and that's who is investigating. AAIB isn't even involved from what I understand.

"The reported drone strike on Sunday has not been confirmed it was actually a drone," Goodwill said. "It was the local police force that tweeted that they had a report of a drone striking an aircraft." That social media message may have been prompted by fear of drones in response to recent British government reports of near-misses with drones by aircraft around London.

If nothing else, it's another irresponsible use of social media.

Last edited:
Good. Night.

I just saw this on BBC.

• be visible at all times
  • be flown below 400 ft (122m)
  • not be flown over congested areas
  • those fitted with cameras should not be flown within 50m of people, vehicles or buildings.
"those fitted with cameras should not be flown within 50m of people, vehicles or buildings."
Then how the frick can you take off? LOL So you have to throw your drone 150ft into the air to takeoff. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:.....
I suppose it's the paranoia surrounding "snooping drones".

Reactions: pomonabill220
News journalism is so inept and agenda driven, that the closest thing to the truth is the obit column and I even double check it.

Reactions: Trackman1
If you stop and look at this is very clear to me that the pilot saw a UFO. (not the first time a pilot saw one) Weather is was form outer space or not he could not tell if it was a drone or plastic bag? Give me a break.

It's not just the idiot drone pilots that will get drones banned, it's the media. Everyone thinks the plane had a very dramatic collision, (because of the media :expressionless:) but like everyone's saying, it could have been a small, flying, white object.

I wonder what they blamed before the advent of the populist use of consumer drones..... "Brittania Flight 197 was hit by Charlie and The Chocolate Factories Elevator on approach to East Midlands Airport"

Dear Lord... Please give me strength!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94