Video seems jerky

Reaction score
I recorded this yesterday and was pretty disappointed in the way it turned out. It seems, to my eyes, that it is stuttery or maybe my eyes cant keep up with what is happening. I set up the mission and had intentions of cutting it up and recompiling the best looking shots but I barely found anything salvageable.
The only time things looked clear is if the quad paused for a second and the picture seemed to focus.
The camera settings are the same as my other videos. The only thing I can think of is maybe I was flying too fast at that height.
I realize my horizon needs adjusting too haha.

Pretty windy about 15mph and sun was in and out.
100-200 feet high mostly (fly back that went up to 350 or so...and then the pond was at 10ft)
recorded 4k @24fps
ND8 lens filter
Cruising speed was 15mph and that was used for the most part.
SD card was a Lexar Pro 1000x SDXC 65GB UHS-II/U3
All the camera settings were on Auto

Thoughts?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Can't help specifically, but that looks jerky to me (I run a P3A). Does it look like that when played on the PC? I use VLC, seems to play anything.

@phanomevan i'm pretty sure that the gimbal was working but it's worth checking.
@gingerblocke It looks just as bad when playing from the file on the PC.

Also going to edit my post that the wind was pretty high, about 15 mph.

I'm new to video but I read everywhere that the shutter speed should be set manually to double fps rate.
Why don't you give this a try and also try a version in lower resolution. Maybe another try with switching to NTSC with 30fps?
Then you have something to compare.
Good luck!

I recorded this yesterday and was pretty disappointed in the way it turned out. It seems, to my eyes, that it is stuttery or maybe my eyes cant keep up with what is happening. I set up the mission and had intentions of cutting it up and recompiling the best looking shots but I barely found anything salvageable.
The only time things looked clear is if the quad paused for a second and the picture seemed to focus.
The camera settings are the same as my other videos. The only thing I can think of is maybe I was flying too fast at that height.

100-200 feet high mostly (fly back that went up to 350 or so...and then the pond was at 10ft)
recorded 4k @24fps
ND8 lens filter

Thoughts?

Try 4k@60fps and you will see a huge difference,

Reactions: JxBx80
I've never been a fan of 24fps for drone film in almost every situation. Give 4k at 30fps with shutter speed of 60 a try. I've also never really needed 60 fps either. I really think 30fps is the sweet spot for most aerial filming. You're wise to use the ND filter but a big reason why it's useful is to allow you to dial down the shutter speed, so don't forget that setting. It's best not to choose auto, most especially when you're using an ND filter.

I'm going to try a couple test videos tonight from the same Litchi Waypoint mission. I think Filmora will allow me to combine 2 videos side by side into one video so I can compare the two.
I'll do:
1) 4k/30fps with a shutter speed of 60
2) 4k/60fps with a shutter speed of 120

Since @MaxHam someone said to set shutter speed to twice the fps
But, @shockwave199 , you said I could reduce my shutter speed with the ND filter?

P.S. I wish i could open the apps (Go or Litchi) and adjust my camera settings without the drone having to be on :confused:

recorded 4k @24fps
ND8 lens filter

Thoughts?

You're going too fast. If you have a pixel that has to travel 8 pixels every frame and your shutter speed is freezing each frame to within 2 pixels, then each frame is going to jump ahead 6 pixels and look 'stuttery'.

Slow down. Get your gimbal set up to buffer out changes in pitch smoothly. Use the ND filter to make your shutter speed slower, as others have noted. But mostly... slow down on everything. That means you will end up throwing away more footage for a given length of the final piece, but the result will be much more pleasing.

I'm going to try a couple test videos tonight from the same Litchi Waypoint mission. I think Filmora will allow me to combine 2 videos side by side into one video so I can compare the two.
I'll do:
1) 4k/30fps with a shutter speed of 60
2) 4k/60fps with a shutter speed of 120

Since @MaxHam someone said to set shutter speed to twice the fps
But, @shockwave199 , you said I could reduce my shutter speed with the ND filter?

P.S. I wish i could open the apps (Go or Litchi) and adjust my camera settings without the drone having to be on :confused:
If you're in auto your shutter speed is mostly likely very high. One of the things an ND filter is good for is the ability to drop that high shutter speed down to twice the frame rate, or close to it.

I did 2 flights last night using the same Litchi Waypoint mission. Top video was 60fps, bottom was 24fps
I did this to see the difference in the frame rate to see if that was what was making my video jittery. I did the flying much more slowly and that helped in both videos to reduce jitter. I can see a difference and the 60fps looked much better (plus the lighting from the first video was a little nicer so that helped).

More concerning to me was the glitching of the Litchi app; It was not performing as I programed. It starts off ok but when it got too far away, it started to loose signal and the camera/gimbal started doing weird things. Even worse, the app actually crashed and closed on my phone mid flight.

> at 2:30 mark on the 2nd video the camera started just doing whatever it wanted and eventually just hung there the rest of the flight.
> at 4:30 mark on the 1st video started glitching and the camera kept panning up and down.

More concerning to me was the glitching of the Litchi app; It was not performing as I programed. It starts off ok but when it got too far away, it started to loose signal and the camera/gimbal started doing weird things. Even worse, the app actually crashed and closed on my phone mid flight.

In your YT video the difference is really hard to tell.
Regarding the app crash:
Looks like you are on Android - maybe even with 7.0/Nougat?
That I would be more concerned about at the moment. I got rid of the problem by switching to Ipad Mini4.

You'll find here numerous threads dealing with that issue.

In your YT video the difference is really hard to tell.
Regarding the app crash:
Looks like you are on Android - maybe even with 7.0/Nougat?
That I would be more concerned about at the moment. I got rid of the problem by switching to Ipad Mini4.

You'll find here numerous threads dealing with that issue.
iPhone 6+, here. Yesterday was the first day I've ever had a problem with Litchi and it happened 3 different times. I love that app and it scares me. What happens if next time it just falls from the sky?

Reactions: salgiambruno
Well - as much as an app crash is very scary you still have the RTH function available on your remote.
An app crash doesn't mean your remote has lost connection to the AC.
And it doesn't mean the home point in the AC is lost.

I had an app crash in mid-air once (Android 7.0) and in the flight recording I saw later that after I started the app again a home point was recorded.
I thought it recorded a new home point (being over water and in in mid-air) which could have been fatal if I had triggered RTH.
But with the help of Alan-the-Beast and Msinger I realized the INITIAL home point was still in the system. It was just re-approved in mid-air once the app ran again.

Do you have the latest firmare/software versions?
Two weeks ago Litchi issued a warning about a bug asking people not to use certain flight modes.
It is solved by now. Read here at Litchi on Facebook. Don't know why this funny name comes up:
Kinakailangan ang Pagtiyak sa Seguridad

Last edited:
Yes, make sure your p4p system and litchi app are all current. However if they are and there's still this problem I'd be very concerned and not fly litchi at the moment. Litchi claims the latest dji firmware fixed all the issues but who knows. I'd be cautious and keep reading litchi Facebook group to keep track of current standing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen