Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Video recovery

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by chessman, May 25, 2016.

1. chessman

Hey all. I recall someone mentioning on here about a video recovery program for videos which fail to 'close out'.
    Could someone point me in the right direction for this please.
    Yesterday I done some video around the remains of a Priory. I did nothing different than normal, but do have a habit of turning the bird off before stopping the video via controller. I do this a lot and never had an issue.
    This time I can't play the footage. It's corrupted in some way.
    3.5gb file so definitely all there, but I think I may need a tool to fix it.

Thanks in advance

2. Reed L

rumor has it to just put the sd card back in as is then start everything up and then close it out yourself by turning the camera on and off again but... I've never done this myself.

Tony Clixby likes this.
  3. Trackman1

I have tried two different softwares to repair the file like you mention.
    Both required a similar file for comparrison. Then they went about their repair.
    Neither one worked.

I had also tried putting card back in the camera before the software repair. Nothing happened.

4. chessman

I'll have a go but going by the second post I'm not holding my breath.
    I thought there was proven software for this. It'll be a shame if I can't recover this.
    Will update once I get home.

5. Reed L

I actually did have it happen after a crash... I forgot... lol. After one crash I really wanted the footage from, I had a corrupted file when the battery came out during a crash. The large 15 minute 4K file just showed up as a white screen. So I started the UAV up again and the file was completed and worked fine except... You loose the last 15 seconds or so. You should be fine after starting it up.

6. Oso

Oso

^^ This has worked for many people and it's what I tell people whenever this same question comes up. Most don't even need to turn the camera on and off, just the Phantom.

Here's one from a couple of days ago.
    Video file Corrupt

7. Ed209

Reed L likes this.
  8. chessman

Strange goings on...
    So I insert the sd card into the bird...
    Fire up Go app and P3...
    P3 goes through gimbal calibration then a few seconds later goes limp. Camera looking straight down at the table.
    No response from rc gimble wheel.
    I reboot twice and get the same thing. Like a flaccid appendage within 10 seconds....
    Then on forth attempt I notice on the screen "repairing video files". It's been like this for 15 minutes now. Still the gimble will not respond from any attempt to control it from either the rc wheel or tablet screen.
    I'm hoping this will sort itself out.
    If I pop a blank sd card in the slot everything is fine, so this behaviour is definitely to do with the corrupted file. Weird.
    The motors will start but the gimbal is completely paralysed while this message is on screen.

Attached Files:

9. chessman

Ok the "repairing video files" message disappeared.
    I turned off the bird and put the sd card in the tablet.
    I can report that this process most certainly did NOT repair the file. Back to the drawing board.
    On removing the sd card from the bird all functions returned to normal... It's like it enters the twilight zone the moment it has the sd card inserted with the damaged video file.
    I'll try that software else I can see a format coming on.

10. 4wd

4wd

The software which *might* help is called recuva,
    As mentioned if it's just the last file the phantom might complete the job and close properly even hours/days later if you realise.

Always try to stop the recording at least a minute before you switch off as a lot of data can be buffered.