Use a Futaba 10CG on a P2?

Reaction score
I've searched all over this forum to see if I can use my new Futaba 10CG (helicopter) radio for my P2. I don't see hardly anything about it so I'm a bit concerned if this radio will work for me. The 10CG didn't come with a receiver so I was hoping I could talk directly to the stock P2 receiver. Now the 10CG uses FASST technology and it sits between the 8 FGand the 14FG so knowing all of that, I took the plunge and bought it. I could of had the airplane or helicopter version. I thought the P2 was sort of like a helicopter, so I got that one.
Now please don't tell me I tossed $450 away or I will need a bunch more stuff to make it work. I closed my eyes and hit submit hoping I did enough research. Ok... Tell me anyway. I need to know :)
Does anyone know what I need to set the 10CG to operate my P2. Does anyone know what parameters to set this radio for optimum control?
Thanks Y'all.

Well I can't answer all of your questions but will pass on what I can...

The 10CG is a fine choice especially if you plan on continuing in the hobby. You'll have extra channels to grow with for future functions. The difference between Air and Heli versions come down to the location or more accurately the type of switch in the auxillary or programmable positions so no problems there.

The P2's OEM receiver uses DJI's DESST protocol which is directly compatable with Futaba's FASST so you can 'bind' directly with no reciever changes required until if/when you need more channels.

As far as programming, it will be VERY similar to that of the 14SG so if you look around here, YouTube, etc., you'll find all you need. Member ianwood has gone over this extensively for the 14SG so I'm sure you'll have no problems once you get going.

Good Luck!!!

Thanks for the reply back on this radio. This info is much appreciated.
I'll give it a go!

I use my 10CG with the Phantom 2 and it's great, like advised above I found a video on a similar controller and it was pretty easy to setup. I removed the plate from inside the controller that stops self centering on the throttle stick to make it more like the stock P2 controller.

John.

Steelej said:
I use my 10CG with the Phantom 2 and it's great, like advised above I found a video on a similar controller and it was pretty easy to setup. I removed the plate from inside the controller that stops self centering on the throttle stick to make it more like the stock P2 controller.

John.

That's a good point I could not address either.

It may depend on where you live too, i.e. country, as to how the radios are shipped.

I've heard that in the US it may require a part from Horizon Hobbies to allow self-centering while in other regions it is as you described.

To be clear I live in the U.S. and have a T10J. That required me to get a [free] part from Futaba (Horizon) to make my left stick self-center.

just the thread I've been looking for! I have the Heli version T10 CHP that I had from the heli days which isn't much of a difference. Please let me know if it direct binds. To my understanding buying a separate receiver will be necessary in order for this radio to work with the P2.

As it's a FAAST transmitter you shouldn't need to use a seperate receiver but you'll only have access to the channels that the P2 stock receiver provides. Clearly if you want to utilise those couple of extras you'll need to fit a 10 channel receiver.

There are guides for various Futaba tx/rx combos here
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11788

You should be able to get something working using a combination of the guides. As N017RW stated, ianwood has covered the 14SG config extensively so start there and see how you get on.

I think the general advice for using an after market transitter is that the aircraft version is prefereable to the heli version however, as long as it does what's needed.... it shouldn't matter.

GREAT HELP! Thanks much.
I got some studying now. I'll let you know what I find.
Great forum!

N017RW said:
I've heard that in the US it may require a part from Horizon Hobbies to allow self-centering while in other regions it is as you described.

To be clear I live in the U.S. and have a T10J. That required me to get a [free] part from Futaba (Horizon) to make my left stick self-center.

Just FYI - Futaba is distributed by Hobbico, not Horizon. Hobbico service will provide you with a free spring if you ask them for it.

The Futaba Service Center address is:

Futaba Service Center
3002 N. Apollo Drive, Suite #1
Champaign, IL 61822

Telephone: 1-217-398-0007. Available Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm U.S. Central Standard Time.

Bill M.
Team Futaba

Thanks,

Confused it with my Spektrum stuff.

I just received the centering spring kit from hobbico. You can also send in your remote they will install it for you for $20.

mountaindr3wz said:
I just received the centering spring kit from hobbico. You can also send in your remote they will install it for you for $20.

And while its there why not have them give it a once over to make sure it is in peak condition if you have had it awhile!! :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl