Unstable flight

The adventures of Trolly Troll Face
images.jpg

Just take the same chunk out of the other three. Use the broken one to make a line across the other blades then cut equal bits off -
Jobs a gougon

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The only difference to me seems to be the red ones are a little lighter and different material. Did a side by side and they were same size. They do okay except when making quick directional moves that's when it goes inverted. Happened 5/6 times I tested theory. Only reason I prevented it the one time was due to fact I quickly jolt forward as it was attempting to back flip

Surprising...........Just shows there's a lot more to a simple propeller than meets he eye............. every angle/width etc had got to be just right or it doesn't work. Fortunately, the genuine ones really aren't that expensive. I'm always surprised how the tips break off as you can bend them as far as they go and they're still ok. .

They do okay except when making quick directional moves that's when it goes inverted.
So they do OK apart from the fact you can't control your drone with them.

Get some DJI props. If your drone still can't be controlled you've got bigger problems you need to address, like you've damaged something in one of your many crashes.

Hopefully you have not accidentally changed your expo and gain settings. Go into the App and be sure they are all at default setting. You can tame or make AC totally unstable changing them. Don't do anytbing but default yet.

Keep in mind that different materials will have different properties so it's very possible there is some type of blade flex/torquing going on in that maneuver. This changes the blades (possibly in one area more than another hence the tendency to flip).

There is a LOT of R&D that goes into blades (more than you'd think) and even thought the DJI OEM blades are a compromise between cost, performance, and durability they are a sure fire way to get predictable and stable performance from your aircraft at least from the blade perspective.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Keep in mind that different materials will have different properties so it's very possible there is some type of blade flex/torquing going on in that maneuver. This changes the blades (possibly in one area more than another hence the tendency to flip).

There is a LOT of R&D that goes into blades (more than you'd think) and even thought the DJI OEM blades are a compromise between cost, performance, and durability they are a sure fire way to get predictable and stable performance from your aircraft at least from the blade perspective.

not much hope for some.......:)

There is a LOT of R&D that goes into blades (more than you'd think) and even though the DJI OEM blades are a compromise between cost, performance, and durability they are a sure fire way to get predictable and stable performance from your aircraft at least from the blade perspective.

From now on I'm just going to copy and paste this answer when people ask me why I use OEM blades.

Reactions: BigAl07
From now on I'm just going to copy and paste this answer when people ask me why I use OEM blades.

On one of my aircraft I've got over 300 hours on a set of blades and other than some "bug juice" that stained them they look and perform like brand new. They've even done some "leaf whacking" on a couple of occasions and came through unscathed.

On one of my aircraft I've got over 300 hours on a set of blades and other than some "bug juice" that stained them they look and perform like brand new. They've even done some "leaf whacking" on a couple of occasions and came through unscathed.

Actually, I don't know why you WOULDN'T use OEM blades... it's impossible to save enough on aftermarket blades to make it worth the gamble.

Unless you really like a different colour (which IS kind of cool to help determine direction at a glance, from a distance).

Actually, I don't know why you WOULDN'T use OEM blades... it's impossible to save enough on aftermarket blades to make it worth the gamble.

Unless you really like a different colour (which IS kind of cool to help determine direction at a glance, from a distance).

It comes from several different areas really. Back before Flight Controllers handling everything we could change/improve the power of our aircraft with better props.

A) Cool "unique" look

*Not worth the risk or loss of performance

B) Desire for increased performance
*With these Flight Controller enabled aircraft performance is restricted/controlled by the FC and as such you'll see little to no real increase. It's like putting Racing Fuel in a car with a very restrictive electronic governor installed.

C) Desire for increased durability
*The blades are designed to "give away" in many instances as opposed to transferring that torque deeper into the aircraft where the damages could be more drastic, harder to repair, and more expensive. Consider them somewhat "expendable". Many of us learned this flying Collective Pitch RC copters. We made the blades more durable and this transferred the torque/energy into the head assembly which was a major PITA to work on with my big fat clumsy fingers LOL.

D) More money than you know what to do with LOL
* In this case I'll give you my PayPal information so you can FRIEND me some $$

It comes from several different areas really. Back before Flight Controllers handling everything we could change/improve the power of our aircraft with better props.

A friend of mine flies an ultralight and always has a variety of props on the wall in his barn/hangar. Complains about the price, but buys more anyway. I've asked him why, and he's answered, but I never really "got it" until now...

A friend of mine flies an ultralight and always has a variety of props on the wall in his barn/hangar. Complains about the price, but buys more anyway. I've asked him why, and he's answered, but I never really "got it" until now...

When you have the ability to control the throttle yourself (in the Phantom you're asking for more thrust and the FC handles the rest) you can see a significant performance boost with different props. When working with RC airplanes most of us have at least a dozen alternative props for each engine/motor we use.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
When you have the ability to control the throttle yourself (in the Phantom you're asking for more thrust and the FC handles the rest) you can see a significant performance boost with different props. When working with RC airplanes most of us have at least a dozen alternative props for each engine/motor we use.

Sounds a little like DJI is the Bill Gates of the drone world. They each took something that was typically only engaged by the elite, the skilled, the committed…

But they found a way to take that and make it more user-friendly, affordable, and easier to understand… And the popularity exploded when the novice could manage it.

I have experience with this. Before I lost my drone in Costa Rica I had white OEM props in the front and black OEM in the back and it made my flying experience so much better!

I cannot help but feel the whole thread is a gigantic TROLL catching the unwary into a posting trap !!

Had me laughing anyway !!

"Gone fishing !"

Nigel

I have experience with this. Before I lost my drone in Costa Rica I had white OEM props in the front and black OEM in the back and it made my flying experience so much better!

Good to know, that's what I figured!

To me, the idea of putting "red" in the front of the drone is counterintuitive… I always expect red to be at the back. But if you can't change the fact that the red lights are in the front, and they come with red stripes around the arms, then if I do install my prop guards they will be red, and red propellers would make everything that much more noticeable!

BUT...

I think I have decided against installing my prop guards, and DJI doesn't make red props, so there goes that plan… [emoji53]

a58bbea343e955fdb0cf86a3b4830986.jpg

I know the obvious answer to this is yes but just wanna double check. One of my propellers is chipped like this and I went to go play with the bird around the yard and it does not want to stay in one position when I release controls no matter which flight mode I'm in as soon as I release I find it drifting up and down and backwards I've tried moving the chipped blade from front to back and vise versa. Can anyone confirm this is 100% my issue or do I am I have compass issues as well.

Even if your drone flew with the propeller in your photo, it would be unbalanced. That would cause undue wear and tear of the bearings in the motor. Why do this? Propellers are inexpensive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka