UNLOCKING - Help with "Verification" Please

Reaction score
Okay, I've had my P3 Advanced for a long time now and happily flown many, many times. But only now I've finally bumped into an area that needs Authorization in the App. I simply do not understand the verification part, and I hope someone can explain EXACTLY what is needed.

As a note, I have (of course) read the DJI instruction page (pretty useless because it lacks specifics - which I will explain below), and I have checked the various forums, and YouTube as well. I gather it is simpler than I must think.

On the DJI /flysafe/geo-system instruction page, it states the following ...

UNLOCKING ZONES
Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile phone number. DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service. Verification is free. A verified account is required only if attempting to fly in an Authorization Zone.

Can someone please explain the following:
1)
Since I am signed-in to my DJI Account on my desktop when attempting the "unlocking" process (say, a couple of days before the flight), why does it want me to verify my user account?
2)
If the Verification is free, why do they want a credit card, especially if providing it to some completely unknown third party; no freaking way, my friend!
3)
IF you can ever get this verification code, when and how is it applied or entered.

Perhaps I am making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I simply cannot find an exact explanation or demonstration of how this is done. Can someone please provide a step-by-step link to a real-life demo?

I shoot real estate and have my Part 107 cert, but this is the first time I've really needed to bypass the DJI constrictions even with FAA Airspace Authorization. Again, please excuse my ignorance, but after searching I remain completely confused. Feel free to laugh.

One more thing - unrelated, but I say it anyway:
It REALLY p****ses me off that DJI even has this crap. It is MY responsibility to fly safe, not theirs!!

It's all a bit 'nanny state' I agree, we have large MOAs that are fly with caution (the Irish air force has maybe 20 planes and choppers, and I've never seen one in a MOA) but the app still obstructs me..
I just use Litchi instead after I've checked Airmaps and UAV pilots, and checked for TRFs.

It's all a bit 'nanny state' I agree, we have large MOAs that are fly with caution (the Irish air force has maybe 20 planes and choppers, and I've never seen one in a MOA) but the app still obstructs me..
I just use Litchi instead after I've checked Airmaps and UAV pilots, and checked for TRFs.

Thanks! Are you saying that Litchi DOES NOT RESTRICT FLIGHT when you use that instead of DJI GO???? Really?!

I have been SO tempted to install Litchi because of the wonderful things said about it, but have not done so because I'm under the impression that it cripples some of DJI GO's features, like camera adjustments, course lock, home lock, fly home etc. (doesn't it?). Also, I thought the flight restrictions were somehow contained in the Controller firmware, not the App. I truly hope I am wrong in all these assumptions. ??

Yep, that's what I've found. I've never tried anywhere illegal, but anywhere there's a fly with caution on Go, Litchi is good to go. RTH is as per Go, waypoints, missions, POI's etc are way more comprehensive than Go, I'd really recommend it. Have a browse of their website and make up your own mind. You can even set up missions without flying them first. It's a competent and fully featured package, and worth every bean..

Reactions: GhostRdrTat
Yep, that's what I've found. I've never tried anywhere illegal, but anywhere there's a fly with caution on Go, Litchi is good to go. RTH is as per Go, waypoints, missions, POI's etc are way more comprehensive than Go, I'd really recommend it. Have a browse of their website and make up your own mind. You can even set up missions without flying them first. It's a competent and fully featured package, and worth every bean..

Thanks - will definitely check that, but I have the concern that even Litchi instructions for installation say to sign-in the DJI Servers...what's that all about??? Call me paranoid. So, the constraint isn't in the controller firmware, but only the GO App?

I believe Litchi is piggy-backed on to DJI Go, so I think it's verification of drone type etc. You'll need to have wi-fi on (or phone signal) to start with to verify that, but it's not intrusive. Like I say, Litchi does not restrict me, so I'm guessing software, not firmware (although 500m max altitude still applies). I'm not too au-fait with IT stuff, so forgive me if I appear to be fudging...

Litchi only needs internet connection the first time it is opened, I use litchi on two devices dedicated to only litchi so go isn't even in those devices and neither has a data plan so they are never even connected to the internet(only time is if I fly in a new area I connect to wifi to cache maps ) but that isn't very often. Litchi only needs to connect to internet the first time opened for a verification or something, happens in background. I was out of town when I purchased litchi didn't have my bird or anything I just installed, opened litchi, closed it and when I got back home took out bird connected to rc, connected device turned on litchi and started flying. No Internet at all.

Dang it! Just went to get the App for my Android (Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 - has worked flawlessly with GO, so should still be okay), and find I need to get another Play Card. They are back up to 24.99 USD vs my 20.80 balance, so I missed the sale. No worries - will do tomorrow.

I am wondering why the App includes a couple of it's several permissions though. Not a show stopper by any means, but why do they want your Contact list?

"Litchi for DJI Drones
VC Technology Ltd
$24.99
Version 3.9.2 can access:
In-app purchases
Identity
-find accounts on the device
Contacts
-find accounts on the device.
..."

Just curious, not paranoid about that. Oh, and WHAT are the "In-App Purchases" they refer to???

SOME APPS - as most everyone knows - do indeed harvest contacts and subsequently sell that information to third parties. I even had a 'free' "flashlight" (Torch) app that did just that a few years back. I'm sure Litchi has their good and honest reasons for each permission they list.

Dang it! Just went to get the App for my Android (Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 - has worked flawlessly with GO, so should still be okay), and find I need to get another Play Card. They are back up to 24.99 USD vs my 20.80 balance, so I missed the sale. No worries - will do tomorrow.

I am wondering why the App includes a couple of it's several permissions though. Not a show stopper by any means, but why do they want your Contact list?

"Litchi for DJI Drones
VC Technology Ltd
$24.99
Version 3.9.2 can access:
In-app purchases
Identity
-find accounts on the device
Contacts
-find accounts on the device.
..."

Just curious, not paranoid about that. Oh, and WHAT are the "In-App Purchases" they refer to???

SOME APPS - as most everyone knows - do indeed harvest contacts and subsequently sell that information to third parties. I even had a 'free' "flashlight" (Torch) app that did just that a few years back. I'm sure Litchi has their good and honest reasons for each permission they list.
I don't know what the in app purchases are, I've never seen anything in litchi app where I could purchase something. Actually I bet it's for healthy drones , if you do the gold package, I just have the free version of healthy drones, well once the one month trial of gold version expires it'll be the free basic version lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan