Unlocking fly zones coming real soon?

I imagine this is a pre-emptive move on DJI's part as they are the biggest fish in the pond...probably bigger than all the other fish put together. Make no mistake if the government has its way they will force ALL manufacturers into something like this.
Exactly. At some point there will be restrictions of some sort by all companies. Maybe if you build it yourself you will be able to avoid the restrictions.

Reactions: Trackman1
I'm not a big fan of GoPro either but if their drone is better without all these restrictions, I'll take it.
What makes you think they won't have a similar system? I'm no fan of this thing either - it's intrusive and won't solve a bit of problems - but it is not being foisted on us by rational actors. It's the politicians that are hell bent on keeping everybody safe and cuddly next to their TVs.

DJI is afraid that without a detailed response from somebody not in the government that there will be strict geofencing that will be bolted into the UAVs. And I'm sure that if this happens, there will be substantial penalties for trying to outfox the system and it won't stop any terrorists. It might stop a few idiots because if there are no functional drones then there can be no drone problems. I'm not sure I agree with this view although I'd give it a reasonable chance of being right, but it's reasonable.

I think the DJI system can be tweaked abit to be "OK'. Not great, but OK. Increase the pre auth times to about a week. Perhaps make permanent, personal pre auth areas. Make it more robust so that server failures won't ground the fleet. I am also worried that DJI doesn't have the best track record for pumping out high quality software and that the inevitable glitches will really mess things up, but hell, maybe they will actually get their act together and so some software QA.

And these thoughts are doubled for GoPro. They can't even get camera firmware right after how many iterations?

Really, "mojo"? You sure speculate a lot.

Exactly. At some point there will be restrictions of some sort by all companies. Maybe if you build it yourself you will be able to avoid the restrictions.

....and it could be implemented much better. As I said prior, the intent might be good but the execution is ****. Look at the "green" warning zones in the map if you want to laugh.
Yep, implementation could be MUCH better, but to use your Green zone example, it is just saying that there are unusual things here to watch for but no action require to fly otherwise. Keeps Grandma happy (and reporters)

What if manufacturers are forced to build the limitation into all quad flight controller firmware? It may already be incorporated into DJI's NAZA/A2 controllers? Then you couldn't even build it yourself.

I can only go by the conversation I had with Nick Woodman at CES. They are not planning all these ******** restrictions.

What makes you think they won't have a similar system? I'm no fan of this thing either - it's intrusive and won't solve a bit of problems - but it is not being foisted on us by rational actors. It's the politicians that are hell bent on keeping everybody safe and cuddly next to their TVs.

DJI is afraid that without a detailed response from somebody not in the government that there will be strict geofencing that will be bolted into the UAVs. And I'm sure that if this happens, there will be substantial penalties for trying to outfox the system and it won't stop any terrorists. It might stop a few idiots because if there are no functional drones then there can be no drone problems. I'm not sure I agree with this view although I'd give it a reasonable chance of being right, but it's reasonable.

I think the DJI system can be tweaked abit to be "OK'. Not great, but OK. Increase the pre auth times to about a week. Perhaps make permanent, personal pre auth areas. Make it more robust so that server failures won't ground the fleet. I am also worried that DJI doesn't have the best track record for pumping out high quality software and that the inevitable glitches will really mess things up, but hell, maybe they will actually get their act together and so some software QA.

And these thoughts are doubled for GoPro. They can't even get camera firmware right after how many iterations?

Let's not get too conspiratorial here.

What if manufacturers are forced to build the limitation into all quad flight controller firmware? It may already be incorporated into DJI's NAZA/A2 controllers? Then you couldn't even build it yourself.

Fantastic for you "mojo". But it affects potentially millions of others around the world
They will be forced with tough choices. I have a feeling that some restrictions on quads are inevitable. This one will have minimal impact on most. A few clicks or a little bit of planning ahead.

Gold star for you!
Well Bully for me. I haven't had a gold star since winning the spelling bee for my class in the third grade. Mrs Flagler I told you I was destined for more wins.... Lol thanks .

Reactions: sticky photography
I was thinking with your tone and speculative logic that you were still in the third grade....

And this GEO system is not a "guess". Look at the complaints of the users using it now. It is a 10:1 ratio of people saying their experience is mostly ruined and yellow zones are essentially everywhere.
Exactly!!! why i started this thread... The yellow zones seem to have been generated using some crazy algorithm or input data from some crappy source. The zones are all over the place and sometimes on top an empty ocean space where i know there is absolutely nothing... unless DJI knows about some under water alien holding facility or another site for Area 51 or something..

Someone said it could be implemented better??? I really missed something.

Last edited:
Every time I have flown I have had coverage even when I was in the middle of the dessert. So that's no concern. DJI's servers haven't been down once when I was flying so that also doesn't seem huge. I have noticed that the zones are not well conceived.. But even then I the worst case scenario. It would add one click to my preflight process.

Meh.. Not concerned.
Do you travel outside the US? Do you have international roaming too? im in Canada and visiting Mexico next week for one week. I dont want to use my cell phone there and ramp up al the data charges in another country. Imagine if these zones were in affect as of now. I would be out of luck and would not be able to fly down there. Even if i unlocked for the first 3 days, i would be with no flights for 4 days..

Just like you can jail break your iPhone OS someone will jailbreak the firmware for DJI

Exactly!!! why i started this thread... The yellow zones seem to have been generated using some crazy algorithm or input data from some crappy source. The zones are all over the place and sometimes on top an empty ocean space where i know there is absolutely nothing... unless DJI knows about some under water alien holding facility or another site for Area 51 or something..
You do understand that aircraft can fly over water? And what at first blush looks like empty ocean is really a flight path?
But yes, the yellow zones seem to be a bit overdone. It would be much better if they relied on aviation sectionals - the same data that everybody else on the planet uses.

Do you travel outside the US? Do you have international roaming too? ..
Yes I do. And yes I did when I travelled.. Doesn't really matter because I don't need it to fly. It really isn't a problem today might be later but not yet. When it happens we can adjust to it. It hasn't yet.

I was thinking with your tone and speculative logic that you were still in the third grade....
So you are assuming and speculating about something that hasn't happened. You are assuming that the current version will be installed as is with the current flaws.... And I'm speculating? Then you send a childish insult.... You assume I'm still in the third grade?

"Mojo"- it is a much lower degree of speculation when DJI says they are doing something and actually releases their ******** in beta. Your logic is definitely around the third grade level, so it was a valid assumption. Being a schoolnight, you need to do your homework.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna