Universal dampened camera mount

Some footage from my camera, on the mount.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bj_50Xw9wI[/youtube]

Wifi camera's will be an option for the phantom vision but that is not the case for phantom 2 owners (wifi is going to disturb the controllers signal).

Isn't there a way to make a video transmitter have 1 extra output for a servo similair to the rx100 mount from droneexpert?

chrisverst said:
Isn't there a way to make a video transmitter have 1 extra output for a servo similair to the rx100 mount from droneexpert?

A video transmitter can't control a servo or anything else like that, as it doesn't receive any signal, it only broadcasts. I believe the droneexpert mount uses the 7th channel on the NAZA for tilt, and the remote shutter control is triggered by a separate remote control device kind of like the one used for car alarms.

Ok i bought the mount time to do some testing. if people are intrested i can write a small review about it it looks solid on first hand.

chrisverst said:
Ok i bought the mount time to do some testing. if people are intrested i can write a small review about it it looks solid on first hand.
ah, did you buy the new Dronexpert mount for the sony? yes write a review, please.
thanks

nah i bought the 3d printed mount for under the phantom + i'am probably gone use a servo to control the shutter button :) this all will cost me neto 100 euro instead of the 825 euro from droneexpert.... which is actually twice your drone cost.

chrisverst said:
nah i bought the 3d printed mount for under the phantom + i'am probably gone use a servo to control the shutter button :) this all will cost me neto 100 euro instead of the 825 euro from droneexpert.... which is actually twice your drone cost.
which mount did you buy.. I too want to put my sony under the phantom :)

I'm assuming you bought mine. I just had a reply in another thread about this. It seems I didn't make something clear enough in the past. The full (heavy) mount is designed to work with the vision dampening balls, by stretching them laterally so that they are more taught.

There is a thread somewhere, with a servo controlled shutter release on a DIY camera mount. If you want I can try and find it for you.

Sorry for the lack of updates on this. My printer has not been functioning well lately and so I haven't been able to prototype the new swivel attachments as thoroughly as I'd have liked.

mate ur doing a great job,

where in australia are u ? l am working on placing a RM100 mk2 under my phantom too :)

see u have some great mounting pieces available, how do i get some mate,

thanks

I've limited info of RC stuff but I have a lot of it,

reckon it would not be too hard to hook up a small servo to the shutter switch similar to the drone guy's with a single button remote sender, much like a key fob :)

what do you think, just think it could be attached & held in place with car badge mounting tape.

Wifi is too risky with the Phantom & the range is poor as well, radio trigger is the way to go.

Also with the sony RX100 etc FPV is simple through the actual camera via HTML connection

cheers :)

Crashmaniac; I'm in Western Melbourne.

As far as I know the RX-100 II is the best model for flying due to weight.

There's 2 ways to get them; either buying the plastic parts only from Shapeways, or buying from the eBay listing. With the latter option you may still need to source 6 DJI Vision dampening balls.

I've thought about using the Vision servo for a number of purposes, from turning the mount to triggering cameras. The problem is that producing something that works with triggers that are often in different locations is quite difficult. There is a thread somewhere, where someone developed a mechanical switch for a compact camera.

The P2V uses 2.4ghz for control and 5.8ghz for video, so it's not too risky a prospect, since as far as I'm aware, Sony and Samsung Wifi cameras use 5.8ghz as well. What do you mean by HTML connection?

MonsieurAnon said:
Crashmaniac; I'm in Western Melbourne.

As far as I know the RX-100 II is the best model for flying due to weight.

There's 2 ways to get them; either buying the plastic parts only from Shapeways, or buying from the eBay listing. With the latter option you may still need to source 6 DJI Vision dampening balls.

I've thought about using the Vision servo for a number of purposes, from turning the mount to triggering cameras. The problem is that producing something that works with triggers that are often in different locations is quite difficult. There is a thread somewhere, where someone developed a mechanical switch for a compact camera.

The P2V uses 2.4ghz for control and 5.8ghz for video, so it's not too risky a prospect, since as far as I'm aware, Sony and Samsung Wifi cameras use 5.8ghz as well. What do you mean by HTML connection?

Yes sorry, just a typo, l meant HTMI connection. yeah l'm looking at making some sort of radio trigger.
So you don't sell the mount brackets ex Melb do you ? how long does it take get them then ?
where or how did you find the Centre of Gravity was using the RX100 ?

my phantom is an older model V1.1.1

cheers

I did mock up something similar to your mount but finding it is still a bit shakey with the RX100,
thought of making a platform mount going between the extended legs I'm using, similar to that Dronexpert guy,
as that may give more support ? what do you reckon ?

tried using a carbon fibre one using a Fujifilm F800 but that vibrated too much :)
worked out that l had the side hangers the wrong way & so they were flexing ?

check foto attached

Attachments

• DSCN3402a.jpg
    DSCN3402a.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 424
Yes sorry, just a typo, l meant HTMI connection. yeah l'm looking at making some sort of radio trigger.

I believe there is a few solutions for electronic / IR triggers that you can DIY, as well as the mechanical ones I mentioned. I haven't done this yet myself though, as I take continuous shots for photogrammetry.

So you don't sell the mount brackets ex Melb do you ? how long does it take get them then ?

I assume you mean in Melbourne, and I haven't yet. I've only sold 5 on Shapeways so far, but I'd be more than willing to arrange for pickup or to post one. Shapeways can take a few weeks because they print after you order, but I have a few mounts sitting around already, although they are in PLA so they have slightly different properties to the Shapeways ones.

where or how did you find the Centre of Gravity was using the RX100 ?

I use a Samsung NX-1100 and I approximated it by balancing the camera on my finger and drawing a crosshair where I thought it would be. It doesn't need to be completely centralised, and in fact you want to mount it forward a little, due to the Phantom's rearward distribution of weight.

my phantom is an older model V1.1.1

So far as I understand, the Phantom 1 has different locations for screws, compared to the Phantom 2, and I have not yet accommodated that with my mount. If you could provide me with a precise diagram of the available holes on the bottom, I could modify the design for you.

I did mock up something similar to your mount but finding it is still a bit shakey,
thought of making a platform mount going between the extended legs I'm using, similar to that Dronexpert guy,
as that may give more support ? what do you reckon ?

The concern I have with mounting something to the legs is that this normally does away with dampening, which makes long-ish exposures very impractical. Your mount looks very solid though. I imagine you could get rid of a lot of the shake by getting the right dampening balls.

thinking a platform mount may not need much dampening as the legs can flex a little, which just may assist, maybe ? lol

Flex is not necessarily a good thing in this scenario, as it can cause induced vibrations; basically like some kind of feedback loop where the IMU is constantly fighting and adding to the problem.

Quote : " So far as I understand, the Phantom 1 has different locations for screws, compared to the Phantom 2, and I have not yet accommodated that with my mount. If you could provide me with a precise diagram of the available holes on the bottom, I could modify the design for you."

Oh wow, that would be cool,

i will try to make up a image with the hole positions measured then. Or l am thinking it would not be too hard to make new mounting screw holes l guess ?

can u PM me the cost of a mount that you have available with you thanks,

hey MonsieurAnon,

sorry mate, but i am confused, you said to go to
to shapeways link or ebay to purchase a mount, but when i went there i could not find your stuff ?

unless of course you are mortarArt or senorfreebie ?

So how do i buy one of the mounts you offered me ?

cheers

The image of the hole positions may not be necessary if I can find the information online. I'll get back to you, and possibly send you a sample to get the ball rolling.

The mount costs $65 + shipping if bought directly from me. I am senorfreebie on eBay and MortarArt on Shapeways. With the former, I take all the profits and include screws, but not dampening balls, and with the latter, you receive only the plastic parts, I receive less than $20, and you'll have to wait for printing and shipping from the USA.

I cannot sell you either at the moment though, as they're fitted for the Phantom 2 ... note that this is the Phantom 2 Vision mods section of the forum. We need to resolve the mounting issue first.

MonsieurAnon said:
The image of the hole positions may not be necessary if I can find the information online. I'll get back to you, and possibly send you a sample to get the ball rolling.

The mount costs $65 + shipping if bought directly from me. I am senorfreebie on eBay and MortarArt on Shapeways. With the former, I take all the profits and include screws, but not dampening balls, and with the latter, you receive only the plastic parts, I receive less than $20, and you'll have to wait for printing and shipping from the USA.

I cannot sell you either at the moment though, as they're fitted for the Phantom 2 ... note that this is the Phantom 2 Vision mods section of the forum. We need to resolve the mounting issue first.

ok that's cool , keep in touch,

cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl