Universal dampened camera mount

Awesome!

Where did you source the screws from?

Any chance you could measure the width of the nuts for me? I've got finger screws as part of some of the other options, and I don't want to be too inconsistent.

That's great news. It shipped really quickly.

But there's more! I finally got the heavy mount to fly stably with my camera. There's a bit of material for me to put together and a duct tape fix to implement in the 3D model before it goes on sale, but I should have it up on shapeways very soon, because it actually works!

Thanks heaps for the measurements. That's actually larger than the nuts I have as reference so I'll have to increase the size.

No problem! And I forgot to mention that those are nylock nuts, so probably wider (and definitely taller) than a standard M3 nut.

Does the heavy version work with the same mounting plate on the body?

Hi,

Just wondering which one of your mounts to buy. I have a Vision Plus and I want to mount a small Canon (A2400 IS) so it is facing directly down at the ground. I would also be nice to mount it facing forwards as I can see illustrated in most of your photos. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

MonsieurAnon said:
I've updated my Phantom Vision mount for tripod cameras to fit the Phantom 2 fuselage and it is now available for sale on shapeways. This mount is suitable for cameras up to 150g and parts for it will be compatible with a heavier mount that I'm still refining.

Shapeways link

Optional GoPro attachment

Note that this mount is capable of carrying dual GoPros.

Development thread

674x501_1885874_2605559_1398054825.jpg

674x501_1885874_2605558_1398054825.jpg

674x501_1885874_2605560_1398054825.jpg

OI Photography said:
No problem! And I forgot to mention that those are nylock nuts, so probably wider (and definitely taller) than a standard M3 nut.

I would like to facilitate everyone's nut needs ;)

OI Photography said:

Not exactly; the heavy version uses 6 dampeners, and is closer to the center of the fuselage, since heavier cameras need to be closer to the center of gravity. You will be able to fit the 4 dampener lite mount to the 6 dampener heavy, but not the other way around.

OI Photography said:
Hi,

Just wondering which one of your mounts to buy. I have a Vision Plus and I want to mount a small Canon (A2400 IS) so it is facing directly down at the ground. I would also be nice to mount it facing forwards as I can see illustrated in most of your photos. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

The Phantom 2 lite mount should be fine for you. It handled a heavier camera than you're planning on using, during testing. At the moment, I don't have a solution for downward facing cameras; although I do plan on making a rotating join between the tripod bar and dampener attachments, which will be sold as a separate item. I just haven't quite figured out the mechanics of it, as I've been occupied by tests on the heavy mount. If you'd like I can probably look at producing a hack solution at some point tonight; but it will only work on right angles, rather than being adjustable.

Sounds good.

Are you likely to come up with a tilting solution that will hold RX100 mk2 ?

A goldmine, I would think.

MonsieurAnon said:
OI Photography said:

I would like to facilitate everyone's nut needs ;)

OI Photography said:

Not exactly; the heavy version uses 6 dampeners, and is closer to the center of the fuselage, since heavier cameras need to be closer to the center of gravity. You will be able to fit the 4 dampener lite mount to the 6 dampener heavy, but not the other way around.

OI Photography said:
Hi,

Thanks,
Mark

The Phantom 2 lite mount should be fine for you. It handled a heavier camera than you're planning on using, during testing. At the moment, I don't have a solution for downward facing cameras; although I do plan on making a rotating join between the tripod bar and dampener attachments, which will be sold as a separate item. I just haven't quite figured out the mechanics of it, as I've been occupied by tests on the heavy mount. If you'd like I can probably look at producing a hack solution at some point tonight; but it will only work on right angles, rather than being adjustable.

A hack sounds interesting. Let me know what you come up with. BTW there are two Phantom 2 lites on Shapeworks with different prices. Whats the difference?

Stereojet; there's a few things on my list for improving the mounts, now that the heavy mount is stable. I'm happy to take suggestions as to what people think is a priority.

I want to make a quick release mechanism, update the designs of the fuselage mount, so that they use less plastic and are just as sturdy, make the tripod bar rotatable at take off, then via the Vision servo.

The mount that will be suitable for the RX100 will be available very soon. I'm printing a demo model at the moment, as prototyping is complete. I also need to find time for some video editing. I will be selling all parts as spares, so if you buy the mount, you can get the upgrades later, so that it can be rotated. I also have a surprise in the works that will make all of this easier to fit under your Phantom.

Wharfbanger; ask and you shall recieve:

yUaVmTl.jpg

If you want my mount you will need:

The Phantom 2 Universal mount lite

or

The same as above, with thumbscrews and a goPro mounting

and

The horizontal camera adapter

The latter portion being made especially for you.

MonsieurAnon said:
Stereojet; there's a few things on my list for improving the mounts, now that the heavy mount is stable. I'm happy to take suggestions as to what people think is a priority.

I want to make a quick release mechanism, update the designs of the fuselage mount, so that they use less plastic and are just as sturdy, make the tripod bar rotatable at take off, then via the Vision servo.

The mount that will be suitable for the RX100 will be available very soon. I'm printing a demo model at the moment, as prototyping is complete. I also need to find time for some video editing. I will be selling all parts as spares, so if you buy the mount, you can get the upgrades later, so that it can be rotated. I also have a surprise in the works that will make all of this easier to fit under your Phantom.

Wharfbanger; ask and you shall recieve:

yUaVmTl.jpg

If you want my mount you will need:

The Phantom 2 Universal mount lite

or

The same as above, with thumbscrews and a goPro mounting

and

The horizontal camera adapter

The latter portion being made especially for you.

Just placed my order for your products (non-GoPro mount). Thanks for your design, looks like nice work!!

Awesome! Customer number 2!

I've put the full dampened mount up on shapeways, since it is complete; Here

Note that, at this stage, it is best suited to heavier cameras. My fix for dampening my Samsung NX1100 was to build stretch into the dampener sockets, which makes the mount more rigid; however this may result in lighter cameras being less dampened. There is 2 potential courses of action possible at the moment for people who want to put light cameras on their Phantom:

1. Use only the lite mount.

2. Use the full mount and add extra weight to it as appropriate.

Also worth keeping in mind is that my figures for weight are based entirely on what I have available to test with. I don't want to make confident statements about the mount that later turn out to be false. The 390g limit on the full mount is based on the fact that it successfully carries a camera that weighs this much. It is possible that heavier cameras will work, but at this stage I cannot guarantee that as a feature for the product, so you must proceed at your own risk.

The good news is that the RX-100 & Nex-5 are lighter than my test camera, so if that's your choice than you're in luck!

The bad news is that I've been neglecting my regular work to get these products on Shapeways. I'll be less communicative for the next 3+ days.

Great work so far on the mounts!!!

My own needs will go to a sony rx100 MK2 mount for my normal dji phantom 2.
If you got a finished model il be 100% sure about buying one for you.

For now GL with designing

Is this heavy weight mount able to rotate the y axis of the camera?
Or do i need to buy a Gopro adapter from rx100 to the gopro mount thing?

And do you have some pictures of the heavy mount of the phantom how it works etc...?

Btw im only looking to make still pictures with this mount is it needed to adjust the gains in my case aswell or do still pictures don't have so much effect on jello?

Is this heavy weight mount able to rotate the y axis of the camera?

Not presently. I plan on making pieces that make this possible, that will be available separately.

Or do i need to buy a Gopro adapter from rx100 to the gopro mount thing?

There's a goPro adapter for the rx100? That might work as a stop-gap, but you'd probably be running out of room beneath the Phantom.

And do you have some pictures of the heavy mount of the phantom how it works etc...?

There's some pictures of the prototypes, assembled and on my Phantom in this thread. I'll be putting together a more comprehensive package later on, with some video filmed from the mount, of the Phantom flying stably etc. etc. I am just a little time poor until Tuesday.

Btw im only looking to make still pictures with this mount is it needed to adjust the gains in my case aswell or do still pictures don't have so much effect on jello?

The notes on gains are only preliminary findings. I found that making the Phantom adjust for vibrations more slowly, made them reduce in intensity, but that was before I ironed out the actual sources of the problem. My successful flight used those figures, and I will be increasing them 10% at a time until I get a more responsive aircraft from today onwards, but I thought it was best that people knew what worked for my heavy camera. The changes may be completely unnecessary, but I can't guarantee it yet.

That said; if you're doing still photography it's not that relevant, so long as your settings on your camera are good. I recommend your highest non-grainy ISO, a large aperture and an automatic shutter speed ... this will encourage your camera to expose for short periods of time, making for higher quality results.

Guess what arrived yesterday from Shapeways :cool:

Gallery of initial assembly/installation: http://imgur.com/a/yYjoY

I'll finish it up today, need to figure out how I want to mount the go pro on it. Using the gopro tripod adaptor and a standard bolt isn't going to work due to the dimensions of the adaptor and how low it'll make the camera hang (too low for the stock gear). I'll just have to try your gopro mount after all...I feel silly because I didn't realize earlier that the one I ordered didn't have that with it lol.

You can't really tell from the pics, but the screw holes lined up perfectly with the ones on the body of the Phantom, and the tolerances were just tight enough to let the screws bite in to the material just a tiny bit but still go through with no problem...which is excellent for a 3D printed part like this. All other fitment so far seems to be perfect!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31