Understanding distance

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm very new to drones and new to this forum.

I just purchased a Phantom 3 Standard and have taken it out for a spin two or three times - the first on 'beginner mode' and second time I removed the 'max distance'. However, I've only flown the drone as far as the video signal - once it started breaking up I came back. Why? Because I'm scared of losing £450!

What I want to ask is, if I fly the drone beyond video distance, can I still control the drone without worry (obviously as long as the remote is still in signal) and will I get a warning once the remote signal is about to drop? Also, if I do lose signal, will the drone automatically return home or will it just stay in place until I go closer and pick up signal again?

I live in North Wales so it's quite rural here but we do have lots of mountains and trees about which I understand can affect signal quality. But we have so many places I can take the drone, I want to get over this 'fear' and learn to enjoy flying greater distances than 50-100m.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks.

Oh - here are the first two flights I made from the park opposite my house (beginner mode)

Nice scenery!

Reactions: CaptnSpaulding
Welcome to the forum. Yes you will have a warning upon signal loss at such time the phantom will return to home, also known as RTH. You will find that information as well as many other discussions and viewpoints in this forum.

Reactions: CaptnSpaulding
Welcome to the forum. Yes you will have a warning upon signal loss at such time the phantom will return to home, also known as RTH. You will find that information as well as many other discussions and viewpoints in this forum.
Thank you :)

if I do lose signal, will the drone automatically return home or will it just stay in place until I go closer and pick up signal again?
By default, your Phantom will return home when the remote controller signal is lost for 3 seconds. However, you can change that behavior in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-RC-Signal-Lost.jpg

Reactions: JamesO
By default, your Phantom will return home when the remote controller signal is lost for 3 seconds.
And the first couple of times it happens, those are the longest 3 seconds you'll ever experience...:eek: o_O

haha thanks guys! I finally took it beyond video feed distance - only by a few meters to see how I coped :D - and it was fine. I did lose it at one point but luckily my kids are a bit more eagle eyed than me.
I'm working my confidence up as I want to fly my bird towards an island nearby which I've never been to. On this island is an abandoned house and I'd love to check it out. I'd say it's out a good quarter of a mile, but yeah that's my first goal!

Just got a 32gb Samsung Evo Plus card today so might take it for a spin later to see if it works :)

Reactions: Squirrel!
Wanna see something badass?

Get the Litchi app. Setup a test waypoint mission around the perimeter of your house/property. Begin the mission. Turn your remote control OFF...yes, OFF. Watch your bird. It will continue on and complete the mission and then land (or hover or go back to the beginning (1st) waypoint) depending on how you set it up.

Or, if you want a freebie...Fly the bird about 200' away from you at about 75 feet up. Be certain to have your RTH height already set to clear any obstacles before takeoff. Then, turn the remote off. RTH should kick in and the bird will ascend to your predetermined altitude and then fly to you, and land from where it took off. It's pretty dang sweet!

Try it and then have confidence to set a waypoint mission (using Litchi) for the island, be certain the battery has a fresh & full charge, before taking off. It will fly just as I gave you in the Litchi statement above. However, when signal is lost, even though the video continues, the part of flight with signal loss, WILL NOT be recorded by Healthy Drones until the signal is restored.

The Litchi app will allow you to fly the drone a predetermined route even if you loose the video/remote signal.
Always set your first marker near the take-off location higher than any obstacles, then plot the other points on the route.
Watch a few youtube videos about the app before your first flight.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl