Ultralight vs Drone ( Why do Drones have much tighter regulations)

Whoa!! Hold the phone there. I have almost 500 hours of flight time in a foot-launched ultralight (a.k.a. a hang glider) and I can tell you absolutely you are required to have a license, and there are just as many restrictions. The difference is the FAA decided to let non-profit, national organizations administer the licensing process. In my case, it is the The United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association (USPHA). My flight instructor and license administrator is a flight-safety engineer at Boeing. Part 103 and part 107 have some differences and many similarities. And I am required to take actual flight tests with or near my instructor, as well as log flight time. Ultralights are every bit as restrictive.

Reactions: BigAl07
Whoa!! Hold the phone there. I have almost 500 hours of flight time in a foot-launched ultralight (a.k.a. a hang glider) and I can tell you absolutely you are required to have a license, and there are just as many restrictions. The difference is the FAA decided to let non-profit, national organizations administer the licensing process. In my case, it is the The United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association (USPHA). My flight instructor and license administrator is a flight-safety engineer at Boeing. Part 103 and part 107 have some differences and many similarities. And I am required to take actual flight tests with or near my instructor, as well as log flight time. Ultralights are every bit as restrictive.

Thank you for your input and insight.

It's odd that no license is required for UL for you guys over there - here in Sweden, UL requires a regular UL-pilot's license, with some aspects (such as radio beacon navigation) removed.

We're talking about 9 months of theory (meteorology, navigation, aerodynamics, aeroplane mechanics, airspace regulations, radio communication, human factors etc) followed by a summer season of practical flying lessons (minimum 20 hours), first in dual command with a flight instructor, followed by 5 hours of solo flight. Some distance navigation flying is also required. You need to pass a written exam in every topic, plus a practical flying test for a dedicated flight instructor.

To be allowed to fly a passenger, you furthermore need to have a certain amount of solo flight time registered and a certain number of starts/landings during the last 90 days.

Last edited:
As said earlier, I do believe, like drones, Ultralights need a license. There are also natural tendencies, called staying alive, that motivate Ultralight pilots to learn and practice safe procedures. At one time, I thought that if you are using FPV goggles, you should be able to fly without a "spotter" after your are well above local obstructions. You would be where you can't crash into anything. But ... the issue turns out to be other aircraft. They can't see a drone. This, "not being seen" danger, does not exist with the Ultralights. Do aircraft fly below 500'? I have seen emergency landings in central NH on lakes and on grassy fields. So the answer is ... it happens.

You can be faceless and remain anonymous with a drone. These drones are now affordable and so easily accessible that some pilots would just crash and abandon their aircraft.

The "operative" word for restricted airspace in many cases is "populated areas". in non-populated areas you can fly as close to the ground as you want. Military, bush pilots, spray pilots,etc repeatedly fly well below 500 ft

Another reason for restrictions on drones is they are not in "direct" control and rely on remote devices to control their device and see and avoid

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart