FAA Regulations--Please Read

working in an official capacity.

If you look at his posts, it looks very much like he was/is here in an official capacity. He said in his posts he was on this site to investigate a report of someone who had flown to 3,000ft near JFK. He said the FAA received complaint(s) in reference to the thread below and he was tasked with investigating it.

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/p3-altitude-record-980m.41963/

NOTE: It appears all evidence of the flight have been purged from the thread by the OP.

Reactions: Ti22
Would you identify yourself in a public forum if you were treated with all the hostility he received? I can imagine being an FAA inspector may have moments where it's like being an IRS agent.

I hope he comes back. The "welcome" we showed him was shameful. I feel like we threw away an excellent resource, even if it was unofficial.

If you look at his posts, it looks very much like he was/is here in an official capacity.

No. If he was here in an official capacity, he would have identified himself and his position up front. Government officials don't introduce themselves using nicknames when they are working. They provide official ID.

Personally, I don't know what to think of Govman. I have no reason to believe that he isn't who he says he is. An faa.gov email address isn't proof, though. I have a friend that consults for the FAA that has an email account with the FAA. And I am not in the military, but I have a mail.mil email address.

I am certain, though, that he was not working when he posted here. The FAA wouldn't have someone post to a forum like this anonymously. Generally, everything published publicly by someone in the government has to be peer reviewed and approved for release. Having someone post extemporaneously in an online forum is not how things are done in government.

I don't know if his intent was to troll or not. But, like a troll, he said things that he would have or should have known to be contentious. I try to ignore trolls, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt and replied to something he said.

Since 90% of my post that started this digression has been ignored, I will try to summarize what were the more important things that I said.

1) The FAA has historically done a good job of balancing recreation and commercial interests while keeping the airways safe.

2) I think that education is a critical and effective tool in helping us to fly safely and avoid trouble. But, what is taught needs to be accurate. Even if your overall message is good, inaccuracies and obvious exaggerations are more likely to get you ignored than listened to.

3) The FAA guidelines are a good thing that we should follow.

-- Roger

Does anyone know if govman has gone to another forum? RCgroups, multirotor, DJI guys ?

I can reach out to him. I think he was here in an official capacity to investigate a specific incident. Maybe I can get him to come back in an unofficial capacity.

Airliners don't fly that low, but Helos and Light Aircraft do..

As a drone operator, the FAA has said your cool to fly up to 400agl. They did that so if you listen to them, then you won't be breaking any other FARs and maintaining a 100foot buffer between you and other legally flown manned aircraft.

The 4 hardened metal motors on a phantom will tear apart the compressor section of a turbine..

You don't know what your talking about and your making statements to suit what works best for you.
This is going to sound dumb, but define AGL (Above Ground Level). I live in a hilly area. 400 AGL is very different in the valley than on a 300' hill. How do we ensure we are legal at all times in this situation? Is AGL from the takeoff point, or is it real time? If real time, and in a hilly area, how can a person ensure conformance without something to measure AGL (not GPS or Pressure Altitude) real time?

There when no such thing as a dumb question when it comes to aviation safety. It is only dumb if you don't ask and assume. If you really want to be safe, and professional, and an example to others. Purchase an aviation terminal area chart. This will give you all the 'agl' and 'msl' altitudes for obstructions. Yes it is 'real time' meaning in a hilly area 400 AGL may change depending on the topography.

Reactions: Buzz313th
There when no such thing as a dumb question when it comes to aviation safety. It is only dumb if you don't ask and assume. If you really want to be safe, and professional, and an example to others. Purchase an aviation terminal area chart. This will give you all the 'agl' and 'msl' altitudes for obstructions. Yes it is 'real time' meaning in a hilly area 400 AGL may change depending on the topography.
You can also print charts off of www.skyvector.com and its current and free.

The funny thing is that I really am an FAA inspector. But even if I were not, have you gone to www.faa.gov/uas? Have you done an internet search for the "Pirker Case"? The facts are what they are regardless of who I claim to be.

What facts? You are incorrect in your statement that they are laws, they are only guidelines. Your point is taken that if you flagrantly operate outside those guidelines you may, I repeat may be subject to legal action. We didn't just fall off the banana wagon, most of us here understand what is reasonable and safe. You keep harping about the Pirker Case. I guess you don't understand how the justice system works, you are supposedly innocent until proven guilty.

Reactions: Ti22
A large airliner such as a Boeing or an Airbus is not designed to withstand ANY impact once in the air [/QUOTE said:
BS. Bird strike right into the engine intakes and cockpit. I'm not saying I'm not responsible when flying. But your statement is full of holes Mr Troll.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic