Ultralight vs Drone ( Why do Drones have much tighter regulations)

Okay, the sheriffs helicopter that also lands on the lawn next to a restaurant for lunch.

hahah - thats awesome

Reactions: BigAl07
Ok I understand not ALL, cases do they fly above 500 feet. But that's the exception to the rule. So using that logic you should not fly your drone at all because of one of the rare situations you are taking about because they can be well below 400 feet. Your missing the point of this post and to be honest I'm done talking about it. Have fun flying in your backyard!

One of the beautiful things about these 4 propped addiction devices is that it encourages you to get out into the middle of BF nowhere and go explore. Find a spot on the map you've never been to, go there, take pictures, find things, go camping, make a short film - enjoy life!

Like it's said on so many motorcycle forums; seems like a bunch of us need to get out a ride! (or fly in this case)

At the end of the day life has risks, we mitigate the best we can but stuff happens. Personally, I think if my P4 got into a fight with a helicopter the helicopter would win, the prop wash would lightly send my drone crashing to the ground. Maybe solving the how to fly a phantom upside-down question :)

I can't say I have anything relevant to add (yet), but I'm not sure that we can assume that there is less danger to the public with an ultralight than a drone, as some of the earlier posts allude to, and that only the pilot is at risk.

I say this because we have a park model trailer in a campground we enjoy in the summer. The park owner is an ultralight flyer... takes off right out of a hangar beside his house and out onto the water.

We stand on the beach and watch... If he loses control and flies into the beach in a busy day... 'nuff said.

As far as I know, he does need a license to fly, and I'll be happy to gather all the info he's willing to offer on the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I live on Lake Erie. Between ultralites, coast guard, sheriffs department, air National Guard, sea planes and private planes there's times I need a **** traffic cop.

I've had days where it was safer just to scrap my plans and fly another day.

Further to my earlier point, I have flown with him and I DO know that he is limited to day time only, and good weather only. There is DEFINITELY some sort of enforceable certification required.

Further to my earlier point, I have flown with him and I DO know that he is limited to day time only, and good weather only. There is DEFINITELY some sort of enforceable certification required.
It's my understanding that a lot of small plane pilots aren't certified to fly at night or instrument only. When I make long test flights with my drone I like to do it at night, seems like there is vastly less air traffic and I can see the screen much better. I'm not saying it's safer and trying to open another can of worms, just an observation.

From my CDN pilot/friend:

"In Canada you need a license to fly anything bigger than a drone. In the United States you can fly a part 105 ultralight without a license gross takeoff weight must be under 450 pounds."

Again, like I said in another post, fascinating diffs between US and Canada.

I guess I inspired him. 15 min later he sent me this with the caption "live right now":
4e2f6c47e7a6507f7e1e4754fe85c516.jpg

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Yes seriously ! It's all the more reason that a drone might be safer than some idiot flying ultralight. It has autonomous functions.

So Ultralight Pilots are idiots? Have you flown one? There is nothing like it, and I've ridden it just about everything.

Starman: The pilot of an ultra light can see what is around his airspace. A drone pilot is limited by FPV. When I'm on a commercial flight I take comfort in the 400' limit. Wouldnt want it any other way.

Sent from my SM-T550 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just the fact that this thread is here is proof enough of why drones have "Higher regulations" (they don't, actually). You exhibit your ignorance of the rules with your ridiculous arguments.

Point is. If you want to fly long distances, at high altitudes, etc. (by the way, ultralights don't fly at 15000 feet - more ignorance showing it's ugly face) - Get a pilot certificate and fly real airplanes.

We fly our toys for fun and because of the constantly displayed ignorance, should be subject to stringent rules - in my opinion, much more stringent than currently.

Before you make these ignorant statements, try reading FAR 103.

What seems ridiculous to me is that one can fly an ultralight "Paramotor" with a passenger and have no height restriction or license to fly. The premise is the FAA believes there is little chance of injuries to others if it malfunctions. However they fly at many thousands of feet and it occupys airspace with planes the same as a drone would yet drones can't fly above 400 feet. I would imagine that an ultralight would do way more damage it it collided with a plane. The requirements the FAA places on drones seems way overboard as compared to a much heavier ultralight with occupants.

With an Ultralight if you are really stupid you likely will only do it once. With a drone you will most likely not even be injured.

Power line inspection, growth clearing, bug spraying, etc. all do so under special exemptions to the FAR's and notams are issued.
Another point. How many people can ACCURATELY measure the height of an aircraft by looking at it. I have seen many posts about this where it is obvious that the aircraft is well above 500' but the poster swears they are lower. I don't dispute that pilots sometimes fly lower than 500', but seldom over populated areas. If you are griping about landing aircraft that "you can't even hear". GET THE HELL AWAY FROM THE AIRPORT. You have no business flying there with your drone.

Also the ultralight has ZERO autonomous flight controls. If you get it wrong in the UL you might die... in an R/C aircraft it could fly and fly and fly without your input.

Do we really need to have this conversation? Seriously?
Exactly right. If you're **IN** the airplane, ANY airplane, when something goes wrong, your life is on the line, and you're going to do everything possible to make sure it doesn't.

Very different with "drones". "Drone" cowboys fly their toys up into clouds and all manner of irresponsible scenarios with impunity. They walk away if one of them ends up going through the windshield of a real airplane that never saw it coming. Attempting to prevent that from happening is where all the nasty regulations came from.

Last edited:
A drone pilot is limited by FPV. When I'm on a commercial flight I take comfort in the 400' limit. Wouldnt want it any other way.
Just keep in mind, up there enjoying all that "comfort", that all airplanes pass right through "drone territory" taking off and landing. And even the 400' drone limit's not sacred; YouTube's full of drone videos where someone's flying one up 5-6000 ft, through cloud decks, attempting "altitude records".

What seems ridiculous to me is that one can fly an ultralight "Paramotor" with a passenger and have no height restriction or license to fly. The premise is the FAA believes there is little chance of injuries to others if it malfunctions. However they fly at many thousands of feet and it occupys airspace with planes the same as a drone would yet drones can't fly above 400 feet. I would imagine that an ultralight would do way more damage it it collided with a plane. The requirements the FAA places on drones seems way overboard as compared to a much heavier ultralight with occupants.

Please don't give the public and the FAA anymore ideas.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart