Tripod mode is amazing

Thank you! I guess I should learn the camera settings first anyways. ;) Practice,Practice,Practice. Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app
Hey King Dad,

Here is the standard dope on ND filters. To get the most "cinematic" look to your video, try to shoot so that your shutter speed is 1/(2x your frame rate). So, for 60 fps, you would want 1/120 sec. If you are already there, you don't need an ND filter.

No way for us to know which one you need (ND4, 8, 16, 32, etc), because it will vary by the amount of sun and time of day, etc. Polar Pro makes sets of 3, specific to the drone. Their P4P filters are just shipping now: Phantom 4 Pro - Cinema Series - Shutter Collection

BTW, that link also has a chart so you can estimate which one you are going to use. For example, for really bright conditions an ND32, and at dawn an ND4 (or 8).

For still photos the ND filters are not a requirement, unless you are going for some special effects.

Then there are polarizers. These deliver dramatic effects, but are hard to use to great benefit on video. The reason is that the effect depends upon the angle to the sun. If you do a 180 degree yaw, for example, then the exposure and strength of the effect will change during the shoot.

Last edited:
I hope someone could video the interior of a palatial building, from hall to hall. Museums would be off-limits for sure, but there are other impressive interiors or jaw-dropping botanical gardens as well. In Tripod mode with the right music, needless to say.

Hey King Dad,

Here is the standard dope on ND filters. To get the most "cinematic" look to your video, try to shoot so that your shutter speed is 1/(2x your frame rate). So, for 60 fps, you would want 1/120 sec. If you are already there, you don't need an ND filter.

No way for us to know which one you need (ND4, 8, 16, 32, etc), because it will vary by the amount of sun and time of day, etc. Polar Pro makes sets of 3, specific to the drone. Their P4P filters are just shipping now: Phantom 4 Pro - Cinema Series - Shutter Collection

BTW, that link also has a chart so you can estimate which one you are going to use. For example, for really bright conditions an ND32, and at dawn an ND4 (or 8).

For still photos the ND filters are not a requirement, unless you are going for some special effects.

Then there are polarizers. These deliver dramatic effects, but are hard to use to great benefit on video. The reason is that the effect depends upon the angle to the sun. If you do a 180 degree yaw, for example, then the exposure and strength of the effect will change during the shoot.
Thank you. Very informative. I appreciate the info

I was shocked it didn't. tripod leaves it open to degrade fast.
how to get into tripod mode.
Would have liked to see more of the water park myself. If the fountain was it, I know why it went under.
I will go back soon (as soon as it stops raining here) and get more footage. I'll post it here .

Wow! That video almost has me going out to buy a P4P. Really cool stuff. The possibilities in tripod mode, such as in a forest, or a canyon, or even ina cave or mine (with lighting of course). Then in post speed up the playback......

It's rumored some of these features will come to P4 soon, however today, if you enable OA on the P4, and then set the EXPOs settings to the max non linear setting in the graph (I think that's .20 in the digital setting field), you can somewhat duplicate the tripod mode with slow flying, and slow movements, simply by using small stick inputs. The slow flying of KingDad's Rock-a-hoola video can easily be duplicated in this way, until "Tripod" functionality finds it way into the P4 GO app.

This response is not worth your time writing, " I suggest you read the manual". A quick answer would have been more inline with the forums objective of being helpful to newbies, or a pilots lack of knowledge.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
If you give a man a fish, you will feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you will feed him for a lifetime.

Reactions: brolland
i suggest you read the manual.
I agree we should all read the manual. Personally I usually skim through it and only refer back to it if I am stuck or want to see if there is anything I am missing. Bedtime or rainy day reading for me.

These forums, in my humble opinion, are here to show others what you have done and how you have done it. To see what others have come up with too. We all have to start somewhere and to save us delving in to the manual for each little thing a quick question on here often solves a problem and makes life easier.

It does not take much longer to say "Select P" at the rear of the machine and select Tripod than " suggest you read the manual". There is no such thing as a daft question if you do not know the answer. We should not put people off asking. No doubt the guy will become very proficient and we will all be asking him questions in the future. So basically if you have a question do not hesitate to ask, we may not know the answer as we have our limits. So ask away.

P.S Before anyone gets offended etc. I am NOT knocking SmurfN's reply. :)

Reactions: SmurfN
I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion to read the manual, but it's very easy. Here are the steps:

1. Make sure that P mode is selected (physical switch on the RC, options are A, S & P)

2. In the DJI GO4 app, tap on the RC icon on the left of the screen

3. Select Tripod Mode

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
What does RC stand for? (remote controller?)

Hey King Dad,

Great info, Barking Deer. I don't have the P4P yet, but sold my Mavic in anticipation of getting one soon. Appreciate the ND tips!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart