Tripod mode is amazing

Just for reference I cannot seem to find anything referring to tripod mode in the manual this is possibly be a new feature added in a firmware update

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

page 26. remember, P4P is a seperate manual from P4 manual
upload_2017-1-19_10-53-21.png

Well that's why didn't see it because I've only got a p4

So it's not my lacking of learning then that's why I asked the question

The only way to learn is to ask questions and hopefully get The right answers

First time flying in Tripod mode. Super stable. I'll admit I need some practice. I was really nervous flying so close to things, especially branches.

I like this video, it would go perfectly in a 'Life After People' type of show. Good work!

That looks like a fun place to shoot...where is it? It also looks like the kind of place you want to have a friend with you when you shoot :)

Sent from my VS995 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Newberry Springs California, Lake Dolores/Rocka-Hoola Waterpark. Yes my .45 was with me :) Also my wife with her Taser and pepperspray. We are always protected like that, especially with all the equipment we have with us when we go on our adventures ;)

Phantom 4 pro with 4 batteries
Phantom 4 with 4 batteries
Nikon D7200 DSLR
Nikon D5000 DSLR
Sony A6000 Mirrorless
All with multiple lenses

It is pretty creepy there. I kept getting an uneasy feeling like someone was watching us. We went back today, didn't use the drones, we used our Nikons. It's funny because I have the better drone and she has the better Nikon and we share the Mirror less sony A6000 camera. But both times we didn't see any people, thankfully. But I can imagine junkies and gangs hanging there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Big Al KY
i suggest you read the manual.

I belong to several forums and like most folks, I tend to find these types of remarks totally unnecessary. If you read something on this or any other forum, don't be an arse. They were looking for some simple help. Help them or simply don't remark...making statements that can seem derogatory can have a tendency to drive membership away. I totally agree that a manual should be read but how many of us opened the box, went for the short version of "how to get this Drone in the air so I can have fun"! And I'm sure there's a lot of experienced folks here that still have not read a manual from front to back.

All I'm saying is don't be a smart ***. Help folks who ask questions.

Sorry, I'll shut up now!

Last edited:
I've only logged one flight with my new P4P, but honestly I was a little surprised by the lack of stability I saw with tripod mode. There was a slight breeze and I was over grass (maybe not as good for locking on downward vision?), but it was definitely drifting.

I'm looking forward to testing more.

At the risk of someone telling me to RTFM, is there a way to slow down tripod mode even more?

I always look up Youtube for Tripod mode videos and have it bookmarked in descending upload order. If artistically executed and accompanied by the right music, they impart a calming effect.

I've only logged one flight with my new P4P, but honestly I was a little surprised by the lack of stability I saw with tripod mode. There was a slight breeze and I was over grass (maybe not as good for locking on downward vision?), but it was definitely drifting.

I'm looking forward to testing more.

At the risk of someone telling me to RTFM, is there a way to slow down tripod mode even more?
Was it at night? Sensors dont really work i have tested infrared work about 80 percent of the time at night. Anyways u can go in to the app look for "exp" settings maybe tone it sown a tad so ita not as touchy? Dont quote me i think expo settings and such are where sensor state and gain is. Also guys if u are in tripod mode and want to get a little closer to something but sensors wont let u, u can map "narrow sensing" to one of your "c1 or c2" buttons. This is in the remote section. Basically sensors will stop u but if u hold down button u have it mapped to narrow sensing will let u get a little closer, pretty cool

Last edited:
I belong to several forums and like most folks, I tend to find these types of remarks totally unnecessary. If you read something on this or any other forum, don't be an arse. They were looking for some simple help. Help them or simply don't remark...making statements that can seem derogatory can have a tendency to drive membership away. I totally agree that a manual should be read but how many of us opened the box, went for the short version of "how to get this Drone in the air so I can have fun"! And I'm sure there's a lot of experienced folks here that still have not read a manual from front to back.

All I'm saying is don't be a smart ***. Help folks who ask questions.

Sorry, I'll shut up now!

This is a typical attitude among veteran members over at the DJI forum, dont understand why the admins there cant build a nice forum with nice people, its just pathetic, especially since its Dji official forum.

Once you get the hang of it, you can also play around with gain & expo tuning to achieve smoother handling with yaw and rudder, even at higher speeds.
Im never gonna trust these sensor systems Dji uses, there are so many limitations that potentially can get you into trouble when they fail to work, ive noticed the tendency already when testing it, you can see the craft starts to act nervously and hesitating, enough examples around now to prove it fails, and if you read the manual, you will find a a whole page of limitations to these sensors, and thats ironic, since Dji promote this as one of the main features...
My advice is, practice and practice, become a good pilot, then you wont need any of these shady systems anyway.
Dont get me wrong, its great when it works, but once it doesnt, which i guarantee you it will sooner or later if you use it allot, it will get you into expensive trouble.
Maneuvering this little craft is not that hard, practice is all it takes, find a large open area where there are no people looking at you and get confident :)

This response is not worth your time writing, " I suggest you read the manual". A quick answer would have been more inline with the forums objective of being helpful to newbies, or a pilots lack of knowledge.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
I agree, that long of a response is not worth the time writing. It should have been shorter....

RTFM ! :D

Reactions: David_Cambridge
Newberry Springs California, Lake Dolores/Rocka-Hoola Waterpark. Yes my .45 was with me :) Also my wife with her Taser and pepperspray. We are always protected like that, especially with all the equipment we have with us when we go on our adventures ;)

Phantom 4 pro with 4 batteries
Phantom 4 with 4 batteries
Nikon D7200 DSLR
Nikon D5000 DSLR
Sony A6000 Mirrorless
All with multiple lenses

It is pretty creepy there. I kept getting an uneasy feeling like someone was watching us. We went back today, didn't use the drones, we used our Nikons. It's funny because I have the better drone and she has the better Nikon and we share the Mirror less sony A6000 camera. But both times we didn't see any people, thankfully. But I can imagine junkies and gangs hanging there.
Rocka-Hoola Waterpark is iconic. I've driven by there a hundred times over the last 25yrs and watched it evolve, in and out of business. I've always wanted to stop there and fly it. I might do that when I attend NAB in April.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94