TRAVEL WARNING: Don't take your drone with you, even tourist

Re: TRAVEL WARNING: Don't take your drone with you, even tou

Anyone been to Philippines with it? I'm expecting it would be fine but I haven't yet tried

http://www.riot.ch/legal-information-ab ... ommercial/ this may include all/most of what we talk about here...

The comment about brazil (1st comment) is in line with what we have seen here, but commenter says specifically this applied to COMMERCIAL applications...they are applying the law to hobbyists... for all I know it isnt even a law yet...just a proposal text, but which customs agencies are already using as law (as common in brazil and other less developed environments)...

@knuckles a quick google revealed this: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/37 ... -of-drones

I've never been so I dont know how they are in customs in terms of baggage inspection, so you may get through (or not) more easily... The implications of flight, however, are another story and are somewhat detailed in the story linked.

ps: enjoy and send us some footage!

Med2Miami said:
@knuckles a quick google revealed this: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/37 ... -of-drones

I've never been so I dont know how they are in customs in terms of baggage inspection, so you may get through (or not) more easily... The implications of flight, however, are another story and are somewhat detailed in the story linked.

ps: enjoy and send us some footage!

Thanks for the info. I've only had good experiences traveling there in the past. I'll plan on taking my drone my next trip in the future though. That was always on my mind when I was buying one. I'm sure I will be chased by a crowd of kids most places I fly. :)

Med2Miami said:
Hi Guys, thanks for all interest and responses... I will try as best I can to add all relevant info tonight to the main thread.

@Ian, could you give me details on what documentation that would be? I have express normatives from the "local FCC" (ANAC - national agency for civil communications), dictating that drones are to be held at the border unless they have an ANAC certification sticker/number affixed to them... I have this in writing and heard verbally from the customs offices as well as on numerous reports *by brazilians*...

Yes, drones operate very heavily here in civilian use, in journailsm and pleasure use, but afaik these guys are concerned "they dont know" how they entered.... Maybe being foreigner got you a blind eye in customs, but from what I was told at Sao paulo airport customs they are really coming down hard on any form of drones and have been given the orientation to detain all drones without certification number (there is even a website you can consult the anatel "certified" drones...apparently only AR Drones, purchased from 1 specific importer are certified...everything else banned.... what constitutes a drone is also a bit unclear to me at this point.... single-rotor heli with cam? not sure? octo? not sure? quad-cop, probably most common so thats definiterlty a "no-no"...)

I suppose if you can get a certification from ANATEL (similar to an FCC homologation) for your drone, you can theoretically bring it without issue, but this is a lengthy expensive process usually left to mfgrs/official importers...

Will update main post asap...

rgds

I flew in to India and had no troubles with it!

Good to know andersonpaac, can you give a bit more details? did you get stopped by customs at all? did you go through x-ray? if so did they enquire about it at all, or did you just go unnoticed?

rgds!

Med2Miami said:
Good to know andersonpaac, can you give a bit more details? did you get stopped by customs at all? did you go through x-ray? if so did they enquire about it at all, or did you just go unnoticed?

rgds!

Yep , I went through customs and through the x ray. No questions asked whatsoever. There were 3 people at the customs area. Probably thought it was a toy .
Additional, I took the p2v+ as cabin luggage.

Although I have also taken my Phantom to Myanmar without any issues, it is actually illegal to bring anything remote controlled in or out of the country and you risk confiscation if they do find it (and realize what it is).

dapperdan said:
Although I have also taken my Phantom to Myanmar without any issues, it is actually illegal to bring anything remote controlled in or out of the country and you risk confiscation if they do find it (and realize what it is).

Thanks for the update dapperdan, when you took it in did you have it x-rayed by customs (not airport security going out / although in some places this may also be an issue?) could you please give details?

I wonder if I can get a table up in the main thread... and maybe ask the mods to clean the other posts once we are dont condensing all the posts into the main post...

I really dont want me / or anyone else to be losing drones...I felt "robbed" as I purchased locally, paid the local price, to the best of my knowledge paid all taxes, etc, and still got knobbed in the end due to a "technicality" I wasnt aware of... (Yes, I know, ignorance isnt a defense), but I never checked the FCC's website before I packed my bluetooth speaker antenna in my luggage and visited the US...for all I know it wasnt certified? but still customs didnt "confiscate it" without apparent recourse...

I had zero problems traveling into and out of Italy, France and Germany. My P2V+ was in a backpack and went through the normal airport carry on security 6 times.

I was asked twice what it was and only asked to remove it from the backpack once.

No one had any issues with it and there was no question they knew what it was each time.

Great Info! Keep it coming!!!

If you can also specify if its Customs x-ray screening or Scurity xray screening?

best rgds!

I'm also intersted in venezuela and argentina (more out of curiosity)....

As far as I can remember there was no customs x-ray in Myanmar - just the usual security scan/x-ray.

I can also add that I have travelled to Sweden and Norway with it without issues as well as Australia and NZ. Both Aus and NZ have extensive customs x-ray but they are mainly looking for alien plants/food etc. They asked what it was, shrugged and let me pass. Scandinavian customs checks are pretty much non existent but I doubt I would have had any issues.

I am just about to DHL the Phantom to Uganda as I have too much luggage for my next trip and need send some stuff ahead of time. I'll let you know how that works out.

If anyone has any information on Nepal, I'm headed out there in November and was thinking about taking my Phantom with me.

Tks.

Sort of related to this topic - how do you travel with your drone? Do you check luggage and hope none of the baggage handlers steal it? Or do you bring it on board the plane? If so, any problems with security?

I had no problems going into and out of Italy, nor flying in Italy (archaeological sites). Don't try flying in cities.
I had paperwork from the archaeological superintendencies and my university on hand just in case though.

I've had no problems flying with it domestically in the USA.

In terms of traveling, I had the phantom in a hard case that I carried-on. I would not trust the baggage handlers/case manufacturers to be careful with it.

HarryT said:
It's fine to bring one to the UK, too. Just be aware of the law here: don't fly above 400', and don't fly within 50m (150') of people or buildings.

I'm quite sure there is no height limit in the UK - check out Simon Newton's video on UK law: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djS3Q0d7CcU

Also, the following is extracted from the CAA, and quoted on http://www.fpvuk.org/fpv-law/:

"(4) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft which has a mass of more than 7kg excluding its fuel but including any articles or equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight, must not fly the aircraft:
(c) at a height of more than 400 feet above the surface unless it is flying in airspace described in sub-paragraph (a) or (b) and in accordance with the requirements for that airspace."

The key thing is that the Phantom is less than 7kg so it has no height restriction.

dapperdan said:
As far as I can remember there was no customs x-ray in Myanmar - just the usual security scan/x-ray.

I can also add that I have travelled to Sweden and Norway with it without issues as well as Australia and NZ. Both Aus and NZ have extensive customs x-ray but they are mainly looking for alien plants/food etc. They asked what it was, shrugged and let me pass. Scandinavian customs checks are pretty much non existent but I doubt I would have had any issues.

I am just about to DHL the Phantom to Uganda as I have too much luggage for my next trip and need send some stuff ahead of time. I'll let you know how that works out.

Did you fly in Myanmar? I'm heading there in a few months.

Wow, I'm surprise that you have been to burma.
Hope you like the stay while you were in burma. Any videos of it?

I'm a burmese citizen living in Canada right now.

I'll be going back to Burma this November and I'm also thinking of bringing my p2 with me

Max

dapperdan said:

Hey Max (gamechanger) I'll be there in November as well. I'm planning on flying in Bagan and Mrauk U, perhaps Mawlamyine and Hpa-An. I'll be in Yangon on 10 and 11 November.

This will be my second trip to Burma, but my first trip with a drone.

Clipper707 said:
Hey Max (gamechanger) I'll be there in November as well. I'm planning on flying in Bagan and Mrauk U, perhaps Mawlamyine and Hpa-An. I'll be in Yangon on 10 and 11 November.

This will be my second trip to Burma, but my first trip with a drone.

Have fun :)

I'm going to burma on November 23. Bagan with a drone would be very nice to film. I was born in Mawlamyine :) , can't remember a thing about Mawlamyine though. Born in Mawlamyine , grew up in rangoon

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl