TRAVEL WARNING: Don't take your drone with you, even tourist

Re: TRAVEL WARNING: Don't take your drone with you, even tou

Mingalaba. I'll either be in Vientiane or Hanoi on the 23rd, depending on the time of day. If my Phantom gets confiscated on my entry into Burma, I'll post up here on 10 November.

I am crossing africa on a motorbike with mine, have had no problem so far! maybe that's because they don't search you when you are crossing on a motorbike though ;)

I wanted to add two things that add to this topic:

Guy says [Nicaraguan customs confiscated his P2+H33D+GP3+.](http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2209395) He was supposed to pick it up on his way out of the country, but the office was closed so he just left it there. You can read the thread to make your own impressions about this. Why in the world he left his Gopro on the Phantom to be confiscated, I don't know.

[Drone registration in Philippines.](http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2212838) Things may be changing soon in a bad way. Anyone going there should monitor the situation, as things appear in a state of flux.

cghammachi said:
I am crossing africa on a motorbike with mine, have had no problem so far! maybe that's because they don't search you when you are crossing on a motorbike though ;)

What countries did you cross so far? Southern African countries have some agreement to make crossings easier. I forgot the name of the agreement. I also rode around quite a bit on a motorcycle in RSA, Zim, Botswana, Namibia, Moz - but if you go further North, border checks can get much more painful.

Med2Miami said:
@knuckles a quick google revealed this: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/37 ... -of-drones

I've never been so I dont know how they are in customs in terms of baggage inspection, so you may get through (or not) more easily... The implications of flight, however, are another story and are somewhat detailed in the story linked.

ps: enjoy and send us some footage!

My antivirus detected a trojan on that site, just so everyone knows.

Hi I´m new to this forum and I have some concerns about taking my Phantom 2 with a H3-3D gimbal on a longer trip.

I will be flying out of Sweden to Newark, from Newark to Fort Lauderdale and then board a cruise ship (I have the document that I need to bring the drone onboard the ship). I will be visiting:
Aruba
Bonaire
Grenada
Barbados
St. Lucia
Br. Virgin Islands
St. Kitts
Dominica
Antigua
St. maarten
On the way home I will be flying: Fort Lauderdale - Newark - Norway - Sweden.
My biggest concern are the U.S airports, if I get stopped in the security/customs on the Islands I would just walk back to the ship and leave the drone.
My plan is to buy a backpack and bring it as a carry on.
Backpack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYln1NwfopY

What are your experiences when bringing a drone into these countries?

ExtraKim said:
My biggest concern are the U.S airports, if I get stopped in the security/customs on the Islands I would just walk back to the ship and leave the drone.

US airports are easy and predictable. You will have no problems at all unless you're bringing it a ridiculous number of batteries that exceed the allowed carry-on amount. It's the other countries that can be hit or miss.

Thank you for the reply. As I said, the Island will probably not be a problem since I can leave it on the ship if they don´t let me bring it into the Island.

A few months ago we made a journey to southern Africa - from South Africa to Zimbabwe, Botswana and Namibia, in all four countries I was filming with my Phantom - in this thread I have aerial videos of this tour. There are also some of my experience.

Borders S.A. - Zimbabwe (Beitbridge), absolutely terrible experience, where we were robbed of $ 150, but Customs us our car did not view. In this country I flew twice on only one very lonely place, with the approval of the local Rangers.

Borders Zimbabwe - Botswana, our auto customs viewed, but the plane suitcase did not want to open. In Botswana, I flew again with Phantom on a deserted places (Makgadikgadi Pan and Okavango Delta), again only with the approval of the local Rangers.

Borders Botswana - Namibia, customs officers did not view the our car. In Namibia, I flew again a few times, again at remote locations, far away from any civilization.

Generally in these countries is not to fly over or near populated areas, certainly not in the cities.

Italy

I took it as hand luggage and filmed all over Italy for 2 weeks no problems.Flew into Naples and out of Verona, no issues with security.

BaldEagle said:
If anyone has any information on Nepal, I'm headed out there in November and was thinking about taking my Phantom with me.

Tks.

Hey Bald Eagle, have you been to Nepal yet, and if so how did you get on? I'm heading there mid-Dec

adanac said:
Great topic but hard to read due some formatting and grammar issues. Start new paragraphs when necessary. Don't use this:......

Hahaha! Yeah some people are using words I don't see very much.

*Googles 'afaik?'*

'as far as I know'

Thanks Google.

Interested in Croatia for next year. Any locals here?
Will be travelling by car through Austria and Slovenia.

I have brought my P2V+ to the following countries and flown w/o issue:

Mexico
Belize
Honduras
Grand Cayman
Thailand

I'll be bring to Taiwan and Singapore at the end of the year. I don't expect to encounter problem, but will report back.

Fyod said:
Interested in Croatia for next year. Any locals here?
Will be travelling by car through Austria and Slovenia.
Bosna And Croatia no problem :)
I flew in the last summer in Bosnia and Croatia, and there was no major problem.
Only once on us a one local shepherd took Kalashnikov (!) because I had supposedly frightened his cattle . But otherwise fine :)
Look on my Y.T. channel Balkans 2014 - flying with Phantom multi-rotor

gamechanger said:
Clipper707 said:
Hey Max (gamechanger) I'll be there in November as well. I'm planning on flying in Bagan and Mrauk U, perhaps Mawlamyine and Hpa-An. I'll be in Yangon on 10 and 11 November.

This will be my second trip to Burma, but my first trip with a drone.

Have fun :)

I'm going to burma on November 23. Bagan with a drone would be very nice to film. I was born in Mawlamyine :) , can't remember a thing about Mawlamyine though. Born in Mawlamyine , grew up in rangoon

Hi , did you manage to use your drone in Myanmar? I am going in December 2014 and I am very curious if you can take the drone into Myanmar and if you can use it eg. in Bagan and Mandalay. Hope to hear from someone who recently travelled to Myanmar and used his drone. Hope you made it to use your droin on your trip to Myanmar!

Take your drone to Myanmar.

Airports
I just returned from SE Asia and brought my drone in and out of Yangon International Airport. Additionally I flew local airlines on 5 different flights within Myanmar: Yangon, Mandalay, Nyaung Oo, and Sittwe. Airport security never batted an eye.

National Police
I had an encounter with the Myanmar National Police that started with a lot of scrutinization and ended with a demo flight and a happy handshake. Your mileage may vary.

Story to follow. I'll post a country report. I was there from 10 - 21 November.

Myanmar warning

Thought you should know about this, if you're bringing your bird to Myanmar. A friend of mine sent me this pic, taken at Yangon International Airport. He was pretty sure my Phantom would be confiscated. Based on Geert's posts, I was pretty sure it wouldn't and considered it an acceptable risk to take it there

I'm glad I did. Your mileage may vary.

Attachments

• DSC05118.JPG
    DSC05118.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 970

Wow, that's pretty brutal English for what's supposed to be an official government sign.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20