Tracking device

I bought one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Real-Time...5?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3f187029eb for £29.99 (UK), added a £10 pay as you go sim card, velcroed it to the underneath of the Phantom and it's perfect.

I can call it and it sends me a text with its lat/long (seems to be accurate to a few feet) and I can also text it and get it to send me it's position every x seconds (if I wanted to track its route).

Hope I don't need it in a real situation, but it does make me feel more confident as a complete newbie.

Regards,
David L

Jakethedog said:
I got the pocket finder kind of large but will blend in with the phantom , we attached to a buddy plane than he put it down about 3 miles always and we tracked it quick and easy . We were at the desert so it was not in a populated area in case some one want to bust my ball of a dangerous thing we did , the most dangerous thing we did was scare a lizard ,but I apologized to the lizard and gave him a cricket and donated a few dollars to his sons collage fund than we tracked it with no flaws . Althought this does not fix the runaway problem it lets me find my $1400.00 bill hopefully , a lot of the other ones I have resourced have a very short range most only to 400 ft which is useless I can see it from there . The other one I ordered is ham freq. which is a 5 mile range , I'm waiting for it to show up so I can test it , the company of pocket finder claims it will not interfere with the onboard GPS .

Good info. Thanks! Keep us updated too. I'm trying to imaging mounting a pocket finder to a phantom and am having trouble picturing it's position... Do you have a pic?

I will get my replacement phantom tomorrow and than I will mount it to this one and take a picture my first phantom was possessed and did what it wanted it took off and missed my wife's head by less than a inch and the other flight it hit the windshield in my truck and broke it so I didn't trust it at all , at night it would start up and spin around and say red rum and spit fire ha ha I will keep,you posted

Ugh. Looks like the Blutracker is delayed again. Two more months before it ships.

Might have to try out the Garmin GTU-10. eBay has $100 refurbished units.

The tracker and gimble installed this is the pocket finder with a 2 axis gimble I found on the Internet

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 834
Adam said:
Ugh. Looks like the Blutracker is delayed again. Two more months before it ships.

What? I just got this email from them yesterday!

Thank you for contacting Stick-N-Find. I have researched your order and found that your order has been processed correctly and is expected to ship within the next few days. Due to the high order volume and shipping limitations, delivery has been slow. We are working diligently to make sure our customers receive the product they have ordered and paid for in the most timely manner possible. You will receive shipping and tracking information as soon as your order ships.
We greatly appreciate your patience and value your business. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.
Best regards,
Jimmie M.
http://www.sticknfind.com

Hmmmm... they are beginning to lose whatever credibility that was remaining...

Sac D said:
Adam said:

What? I just got this email from them yesterday!

Thank you for contacting Stick-N-Find. I have researched your order and found that your order has been processed correctly and is expected to ship within the next few days. Due to the high order volume and shipping limitations, delivery has been slow. We are working diligently to make sure our customers receive the product they have ordered and paid for in the most timely manner possible. You will receive shipping and tracking information as soon as your order ships.
We greatly appreciate your patience and value your business. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.
Best regards,
Jimmie M.
http://www.sticknfind.com

Hmmmm... they are beginning to lose whatever credibility that was remaining...

pocket finder and garmin are starting to sound better and better.....

So I did a little bit of digging and found out the following:

Garmin GTU 10:
GPS Unit : $199.99
Standard service plan: $49.99 (annual)
"Deluxe" service plan: $4.99 (monthly)
First year total: $309.86 (before taxes)
Annual cost there after: $109.87 (before taxes)

PocketFinder people/pet:
GPS Unit: $149.95
Service plan: $12.95 (monthly)
First year total: $305.35 (before taxes)
Annual cost there after: $155.40 (before taxes)

Also for people that have the osd you can use the itelemetry which is real time and hooks to your phone and does the same thing that the GPS tracker does and it's free , but the cost for the osd is 229.00 and 8.00 for the cord to the phone and also you need fpv receiver and transmitter 250.00 no monthly fee so the set up is $487.00 that is another route to take which I already have and didn't pay to much mind of how much I have invested . Holy crap in this quad for more than I thought I would ever have but oh we'll it's just money and were having fun right . I will be testing the itelemetry to see if its worth doing from what I have seen it works great fingers crossed . And to be honest fly away is real low on my list now that I have educated my self on how important to keep this unit calibrated .i have done some fights and noticed a little more drift in GPS and some slow reactions on the quads part , so I recalabrated it and it was rock solid after the calibration , so that shows me to do it often and use commen sense goes along way , the problem is that aim like a kid I just want to fly and not do my chores . I will let you all know how it goes . George

Garmin GTU 10:
Annual cost there after: $109.87 (before taxes

The first year of service is "FREE"
The second year is $49.99 unless you add the $4.99 monthly "deluxe" plan which shouldn't be necessary. (how many times a week can you lose your Phantom)
So $49.99 per year.

Some people that fly model rockets fly the Garmin Astro 330 dog locator. It has a 5 mile range and no monthly fees. It's a bit pricey, but if you want to fly in areas with no cell coverage, or no GSM phone, this may be a good choice.

auck said:

Garmin GTU 10:
Huh?

Shouldn't that be $49.99/yr or maybe $59.88 (12 * $4.99).

pwright said:
auck said:

Garmin GTU 10:
Huh?

Shouldn't that be $49.99/yr or maybe $59.88 (12 * $4.99).

the $49.99/yr is their basic plan. the $4.99/month is the "Deluxe" add on to get similar features as the pocket finder - for comparison.

Audaciter said:
The first year of service is "FREE"
The second year is $49.99 unless you add the $4.99 monthly "deluxe" plan which shouldn't be necessary. (how many times a week can you lose your Phantom)
So $49.99 per year.

you are correct. i sit corrected. :)

I picked up a GTU 10 refurb for $100 shipped on eBay, includes one year service. 100 bucks for the device and tracking capability for a year sounded like a good deal to me. After a year, there'll be something better anyway....

I had researched this tracking topic a couple of weeks ago and thought that the concensus opinion was that the MarcoPolo was the way to go. So i ordered one and am awaiting delivery.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl