This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

Hey db, would finding a 2.4ghz 5W booster have the same boost has having a 2.5W on each antenna?

At your max distance, would you still have video with only 1 2.4ghz antenna?

Adding another could be a hassle, and would likely need to get that 6800 mAh and split it between 3 boosters.
I think youre likely to get the same range from (1) 2.5w booster that you would from (1) 5w! Thats JMO, someone else may feel diff. I used 4W & didnt see any diff than 2.5W!
I use a 4600mah split 3 ways and it runs (2) 25-30 min flights so i guess a 6800 would run 1.5 hrs

Amps are way overrated. They will increase distance only marginally, and even then only if you have obstacles (trees, houses etc). For distance flights, they will increase it maybe by 10%, but not much more.
Also, 2.5W, 3W, 4W, it won't make any difference. Extra power increases signal, but also increases noise. So you will see no difference between 3W or 4W or 2x2.5W. The new 3W Sunhans are actually the best compromise.
So don't expect much.

Amps are way overrated. They will increase distance only marginally, and even then only if you have obstacles (trees, houses etc). For distance flights, they will increase it maybe by 10%, but not much more.
Also, 2.5W, 3W, 4W, it won't make any difference. Extra power increases signal, but also increases noise. So you will see no difference between 3W or 4W or 2x2.5W. The new 3W Sunhans are actually the best compromise.
So don't expect much.
I agree with most everything you say here but early in this thread i do the dbs unboosted in clear LOS flight paths and I never got 30,000 to 40,000 like i did w/ boosters in same path. That being said boosters are not a substitute for good aiming[emoji41]

DB is right of course. He's the expert. ;)

Here's what I gather from seven months of reading threads like this:

1) You need a good solid mod. No mistakes, no "hey that's probably close enough" deals. You need all the right tools beforehand, and you need patience. And you'll make some mistakes and have to buy new boards or whatever. When you're done, it has to be perfect or better than perfect.

2) You need a good directional antenna.

3) You need to aim it perfectly. Precisely. Exactly. Whatever word you want to use. Holding the controller at your hip is probably not good enough.

4) Then and only then should you be thinking about amps, and at that point, taking in all the above, the amp will help fairly significantly, provided you have very limited if any interference (which hopefully would be mostly solved with your directional antenna). But with this relative increase in range, you're probably not going to see God or anything. My point is, the first three things above are much more important than the amp.*

5) Testicles. Sorry, but that's part of it. That means you don't head back the instant you lose FPV. You don't head back the second you see a big red DISCONNECTED on the app. You push it bit further. Maybe it'll reconnect. What about wind and battery percentage? Those two things kinda work together. Nice head wind means you can afford to use some extra battery. Do the math. Take a chance. You gotta be willing to risk losing your aircraft if you want good distance. Otherwise you're not gonna push it to the edge.

*Finally - re amps, with an initial amp mod of say 2.5 watts, you're increasing power from 100 mw to 2500 mw, so that's a significant increase in raw power. So you should expect a decent range increase. But to move from 2500 mw to 4000 mw, percentagewise, that's really not much of an increase. Your range will increase, but only by a very little bit. Maybe something like 10-12 % range increase.

Last edited:
I like it Mark! ( but there are experts among us on this forum, however I am not one of them! I am experienced though as I've tried everything)
And you hit it with the "Testies" part!
I think aiming is the most important part, back when I first started chasing distance me and my buddy would have the same set ups and he's a good pilot, but I'd stand next to him and watch them fly out and he wasn't getting what I was getting numbers wise, and I noticed his aim technique was just different than mine. I noticed when you're out far and your signal is"locked in"you'll know it, you can just feel that it's locked in you got it aimed just right. And a signal that's locked in will go two miles further

Dude, if you can jump out 40000 feet with a relatively new aircraft, you qualify as an expert. ;)

The first time I read that I was sure you added too many zeros by mistake :p

Reactions: dirkclod
I think youre likely to get the same range from (1) 2.5w booster that you would from (1) 5w! Thats JMO, someone else may feel diff. I used 4W & didnt see any diff than 2.5W!
I use a 4600mah split 3 ways and it runs (2) 25-30 min flights so i guess a 6800 would run 1.5 hrs

Okay so I I would be fine sticking with the 4600mah, if I spit three ways? As long as I charge after every flight or two? Also these connectors in order to run duel 2.4's?

Amazon.com: Sunhans DC Power Adapter: Computers & Accessories

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Pack-...147_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=11PT61X0E351QJ8CFHZ9

Any reason for three way instead of just a splitter, besides just prepping for future upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

DB you experiment has made me decide to return my Argtek when it gets here tomorrow. Gonna start with the stock dbs. I've read back through this thread and heard you talking about aiming being key. If I go just dbs mod and am holding my RC at my waist like normal, is 10,000' reachable? If so I'm interested in doing some flying around at distance not just straight line as far as I can go.

DB you experiment has made me decide to return my Argtek when it gets here tomorrow. Gonna start with the stock dbs. I've read back through this thread and heard you talking about aiming being key. If I go just dbs mod and am holding my RC at my waist like normal, is 10,000' reachable? If so I'm interested in doing some flying around at distance not just straight line as far as I can go.

I think thats a resonable expectation Dmize! I didnt stay on the dbs unboosted for very long but if you look back to post #12 I got from 8-16000 dbs unboosted w/ the average being 10,000.
Good luck sir, and you can always add stuff later but dbs is a great start[emoji41]

BTW Guys, if someone's looking for those 'better' blue RG402 cables (originally suggested by dirkclod - thank you!),
that chinese ebay seller ships them very fast. I ordered them last tuesday March 29, and got them this morning Aprl 6, thats only 9 days from China to NJ.
He is a lot cheaper that other ebay sellers and has more options.
I hooked mine up today, im gonna try and test tomorrow to see if i notice any difference.
(here is what it looks like - promise not to laugh at my RC, i designed the bracket myself :eek:)
IMG_1377.JPG IMG_1366.JPG

Edit: add ebay links if anyone interested and wants to check em out:
$3.99 free ship:
RG402 Semi flexible cable SMA plug to RP-SMA male 90 degree Right Angle Low Loss

$5.30 incl shipping (not sure what the diff is)
SMA male to RP-SMA male both right angle RF lot RG402 Semi Flexible blue Cable

Angled to straight plug:
SMA male to RP SMA male right angle RF lot RG402 Semi Flexible blue jumper Cable

Last edited:
BTW Guys, if someone's looking for those 'better' blue RG402 cables (originally suggested by dirkclod - thank you!),
that chinese ebay seller ships them very fast. I ordered them last tuesday Apr 29, and got them this morning Aprl 6, thats only 9 days from China to NJ.
I hooked mine up today, im gonna try and test tomorrow to see if i notice any difference.
(here is what it looks like - promise not to laugh at my RC, i designed the bracket myself :eek:)
View attachment 49743 View attachment 49744

Hey just wondering, did you get the 6 or 8 inch cables?

Okay so I I would be fine sticking with the 4600mah, if I spit three ways? As long as I charge after every flight or two? Also these connectors in order to run duel 2.4's?

Amazon.com: Sunhans DC Power Adapter: Computers & Accessories

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Pack-...147_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=11PT61X0E351QJ8CFHZ9

Or you can buy this one:
2.5mm x 0.7mm Male Plug to 5.5mm x 2.1mm female socket DC Power Adapter cable
Any pay $4.00 total instead of $14,

and this one:
1:3 DC Power Splitter Cable Cord 1 Female to 3 Male 5.5x2.1mm Port Pigtals 12V
and pay $4 instead of $16

$30 for 2 cables from REXUAV is a little to much if you ask me, when you can get 2 of the exact same on ebay for $8 total including shipping.
Its just a suggestion tho, obviously everyone can spend their $$ however they wish.

Hey just wondering, did you get the 6 or 8 inch cables?

I got them all in 6. I think in this case with the wires shorter is better (thats not what my wife says),
so the signal doesn't need to travel longer (i think it makes sense)... the original 8" DBS & amps cables were too long & messy for my set up.
but its better to measure and double check to make sure they are going to be long enough for your set up.
or maybe do 8" from controller to amps, and 6" from amps to antenna

Reactions: dirkclod
Or you can buy this one:
2.5mm x 0.7mm Male Plug to 5.5mm x 2.1mm female socket DC Power Adapter cable
Any pay $4.00 total instead of $14,

and this one:
1:3 DC Power Splitter Cable Cord 1 Female to 3 Male 5.5x2.1mm Port Pigtals 12V
and pay $4 instead of $16

$30 for 2 cables from REXUAV is a little to much if you ask me, when you can get 2 of the exact same on ebay for $8 total including shipping.
Its just a suggestion tho, obviously everyone can spend their $$ however they wish.

I had no idea, REXUAV did ship fast at least. Thnaks for the suggestion, I'll remember to check ebay as well on these parts!

that chinese ebay seller ships them very fast. I ordered them last tuesday Apr 29, and got them this morning Aprl 6, thats only 9 days from China to NJ.
View attachment 49743 View attachment 49744
That remote is no laughing matter NJ!

ITS BADDASS! Let us know!

I had no idea, REXUAV did ship fast at least. Thnaks for the suggestion, I'll remember to check ebay as well on these parts!

OK, no prob, they are also US based sellers and ship fast, so for next time def check ebay first!
I always check ebay just to see what the average price is. Especially if you need more than one wire/cable etc, some ebay sellers bundle them up for a better deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4