This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

BTW Guys, if someone's looking for those 'better' blue RG402 cables (originally suggested by dirkclod - thank you!),
that chinese ebay seller ships them very fast. I ordered them last tuesday Apr 29, and got them this morning Aprl 6, thats only 9 days from China to NJ.
He is a lot cheaper that other ebay sellers and has more options.
I hooked mine up today, im gonna try and test tomorrow to see if i notice any difference.
(here is what it looks like - promise not to laugh at my RC, i designed the bracket myself :eek:)
View attachment 49743 View attachment 49744

You sure that isn't designed by NASA.?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: SZNJ732
You sure that isn't designed by NASA.?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Haha , yes , definitely NASA design,
im getting ready for my "Challenger" mission.
The Challenger1.jpg The Challenger.gif

BTW Guys, if someone's looking for those 'better' blue RG402 cables (originally suggested by dirkclod - thank you!),
that chinese ebay seller ships them very fast. I ordered them last tuesday Apr 29, and got them this morning Aprl 6, thats only 9 days from China to NJ.
I hooked mine up today, im gonna try and test tomorrow to see if i notice any difference.
(here is what it looks like - promise not to laugh at my RC, i designed the bracket myself :eek:)
That Chinese dealer is really fast. You ordered on April 29 and you received them 23 days before you ordered them..... Lol just messing with you. It's funny.

This is NOT going to be fun [emoji22]
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1460038002.312519.jpg

Got the bird modded up for (part3) of the tests. Dipoles birdside ,dbs panel UNboosted,
Although I havent got pigtails yet
I had (2) so I went ahead and did (1) 5.8 and (1) 2.4 figure i'll give it a shot even though it's not all (4)dipoles its worth a test!
Took it out this morning all charged up and excited, it was a calm day for testing. It went out 12,600 feet and was dropping bars and then gaining them back from 2000 feet and on. Return to home kicked in and when it spun around I noticed rain in the Cameraview! It was a zero chance of precipitation! So needless to say I didn't try to spin it back around and see if I can push it past 12,600. And on the way back maybe because I have both dipoles on the rear of the a/c (although that shouldn't matter at 2 miles) I barely picked up reception until is almost all the way back to me.AHH, I HAD A PERFECT FLYING BIRD! This is exactly what I was afraid of. I wanted to follow through with these tests but the stock antennas with boosters took me so far my gut feeling said don't mess with it

Last edited:
And part two to that story. When doing the dipole mods and taking apart the shell, (you know how much trouble the P3 shell can be sometimes) once I had it apart I found screw holes cracked and busted apart (4) different ones!! So I did some repairs before reassembling, but now there's certain places on the arms where you see little cracks and you just know that it's not as tight as before I took it off. AHHH!! I HAD A PERFECT FLYING BIRD!

Hey controller looks awesome, I'm still on just my DBSmod going to be adding some boosters soon, where did you find the 6in blue rg402 with the right angle on one end. Can't find on eBay. Link by any chance? And even if they don't work better, those blue cables look way cooler. I'm also out of NJ, Freehold area.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

To each their own, but I would start with your mods in the order I did ,leave the bird alone start with controller antenna and then boosters and see how that works for you. In that flightpath I was consistently getting 30+ thousand feet with DBS boosted and stock bird. Now with that addition of the two dipoles, I got a paperweight that can take pictures

The RG 402's are good, I think the RG 58's have a better track record of not going bad on ya, i've never had the RG 402's go bad but I've read plenty of places where people have had that problem. And I've never had that problem with the RG 58's(thick black ones) I use Wi-Fi direct out of Cali, it's about a buck a foot you can order any length and any end you want on them. They build them and ship them quick.

Hey controller looks awesome, I'm still on just my DBSmod going to be adding some boosters soon, where did you find the 6in blue rg402 with the right angle on one end. Can't find on eBay. Link by any chance? And even if they don't work better, those blue cables look way cooler. I'm also out of NJ, Freehold area.

Hey there! thanks! Any good place to fly in Freehold?
This is the ebay guy: RG316 RG174 RG178 RG405, RG58 RG142 RG402 LMR195 items in bydpete store on eBay!
And thats the angled wire:
SMA male to RP SMA male right angle RF lot RG402 Semi Flexible blue jumper Cable
Another member recommended them (dirkclod).
I haven't tried them yet, the weather has been really crappy here, winds , rain..

Do you have link DB I searched for wifi direct with no luck.

This is NOT going to be fun [emoji22]View attachment 49767
Got the bird modded up for (part3) of the tests. Dipoles birdside ,dbs panel UNboosted,
Although I havent got pigtails yet
I had (2) so I want to head and did (1) 5.8 and (1) 2.4 figure i'll give it a shot even though it's not all (4)dipoles its worth a test!
Took it out this morning all charged up and excited, it was a calm day for testing. It went out 12,600 feet and was dropping bars and then gaining them back from 2000 feet and on. Return to home kicked in and when a spot around I noticed rain in the Cameraview! It was a zero chance of precipitation! So needless to say I didn't try to spin it back around and see if I can push it past 12,600. And on the way back maybe because I have both dipoles on the rear of the a/c (although that shouldn't matter at 2 miles) I barely picked up reception until is almost all the way back to me.AHH, I HAD A PERFECT FLYING BIRD! This is exactly what I was afraid of. I wanted to follow through with these tests but the stock antennas with boosters took me so far my gut feeling said don't mess with it

NOOO!!! But you can always go back to stock antennas tho, right?

Hey there! thanks! Any good place to fly in Freehold?
This is the ebay guy: RG316 RG174 RG178 RG405, RG58 RG142 RG402 LMR195 items in bydpete store on eBay!
And thats the angled wire:
SMA male to RP SMA male right angle RF lot RG402 Semi Flexible blue jumper Cable
Another member recommended them (dirkclod).
I haven't tried them yet, the weather has been really crappy here, winds , rain..

Is that the right angle one you ordered? It looks like it has an RP male on one end which I believe is reverse polarity and almost like a female, you can see on the pic there is no pin in the middle. The pic could be wrong. Is that the exact one you ordered? And it works?

Weather has been miserable here, I just started flying the phantom a week and a half ago and the weather has been the worst. I have a huge field next to my development which is connected to Reid Sod Farm, decent space minimal interference, no problems reaching 6000 feet with the DBS unboosted with still a pretty strong signal w/ video getting jumpy.

That Chinese dealer is really fast. You ordered on April 29 and you received them 23 days before you ordered them..... Lol just messing with you. It's funny.

Haha. yea i guess it was just another sleepless night n way past my bed time, staying up trying to invent the ultimate flying machine. and not paying attention to what the hell im typing lol..

Lol thanks my man. Next stop for me is batteries. This post has been huge help in modding the controller (and not touching the bird itself) I have no idea why I have to go so far but there is a voice that just keeps telling me further further every time I'm out.

Reactions: dirtybum

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94