This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

I should note, that with my set ups in the past my 5.8 was usually a long helical for control. I always paired that with a mushroom type antenna on the aircraft, and this worked well boosted out past 45,000 feet. With my flight this morning, because I didn't think the mushroom type antenna bird side would mix very well with the panel antenna control side, I put a fpvlr 5.8 dipole on the a/c. I've used the 2.4 dipoles with DBS and found them to be a great combination for Wi-Fi, but I haven't tested the 5.8 much, so this could've been a weak link in my flight. I think before testing much further I'm going to put the stock 5.8 antenna back on the a/c and see how that works with the terminator extreme 5.8

I got set up last night to fly going westbound which is a great flight path for the standard. However as soon as I got set up and ready to take off it started sprinkling. I covered the aircraft up and waited five minutes but it was only getting heavier so I packed it up. This morning I could no longer fly west because of wind direction, so I was forced to fly east. I've told you before in this flight path there's a couple towers and a water tower and I always get major interference with the standard or P2V+ wi-Fi
No matter what boosted set up I've tried with the standard in this flight path I've never been able to get past 18,000 feet. View attachment 57731
This was a very messy flight filled with errors on my screen saying"strong interference be careful when flying long-distance"
But I was able to go past the 18,000 feet and continue on, though my video feed was breaking up most of the trip after that. I let it go all the way out till 30,000 feet and let smart return home kick in. It may not look like a good run to some of you reading this but in this path control signal is usually lost between 2 to 3 miles and the bird automatically comes home. When that happens it usually breaks your DJI flight log up into two or three flights. My control signal is lost a couple times but came back so fast that this was all one continuous DJI flight log. So while not a good flight path for a Wi-Fi p3standard test. It did prove that this 5.8 panel blew away every 5.8 control antenna I've tried yetView attachment 57732View attachment 57733
Here's the mess if you want to look at it[emoji41]
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
Good work so far man, did you have your boosters on then or were you able to get it connected without? You gotta get that birdside mod removed?

Good work so far man, did you have your boosters on then or were you able to get it connected without? You gotta get that birdside mod removed?
I didn't have the right adapters to do it without the amps so I used amps. I'm going to take it back to complete stock

Reactions: phxbird57
I should note, that with my set ups in the past my 5.8 was usually a long helical for control. I always paired that with a mushroom type antenna on the aircraft, and this worked well boosted out past 45,000 feet. With my flight this morning, because I didn't think the mushroom type antenna bird side would mix very well with the panel antenna control side, I put a fpvlr 5.8 dipole on the a/c. I've used the 2.4 dipoles with DBS and found them to be a great combination for Wi-Fi, but I haven't tested the 5.8 much, so this could've been a weak link in my flight. I think before testing much further I'm going to put the stock 5.8 antenna back on the a/c and see how that works with the terminator extreme 5.8
Seems to me, you might also experiment with a rubber ducky instead of the stock 5.8. I'm not quite convinced what is best - the rubber ducky or the dipole...

Quick question. Anyone try those China clover leaf antennas? And is a clover leaf the way to go on the drone side? And what is the P3S connection? SMA or RP SMA

Quick question. Anyone try those China clover leaf antennas? And is a clover leaf the way to go on the drone side? And what is the P3S connection? SMA or RP SMA
The connection inside the standard is U.fl . So you need to run a pigtail to the outside then you can use the Cloverleaf. But the cloverleaves only going to be any kind of effective if you use a helical for the 5.8 control

Reactions: Mark The Droner
These pics were requested.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466603870.654914.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466603908.377575.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466603917.141934.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466603925.880099.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466603935.061954.jpg

Now keep in mind, if these brackets or panels look a little"used" ,beat up or mis-matched, that's because these were Wills personal panels he used for testing. The production run of these terminators will be in a better shape.[emoji41] I happen to know that BeauS has the set up in the mail right now so he can chime in on his unboxing if he likes.

The connection inside the standard is U.fl . So you need to run a pigtail to the outside then you can use the Cloverleaf. But the cloverleaves only going to be any kind of effective if you use a helical for the 5.8 control

What would I use if I am looking at a terminator or a itelite?

Oh ok, will just leave the drone side alone. Maybe install a backup battery :)

These pics were requested.View attachment 57834View attachment 57835View attachment 57836View attachment 57837View attachment 57838
Now keep in mind, if these brackets or panels look a little"used" ,beat up or mis-matched, that's because these were Wills personal panels he used for testing. The production run of these terminators will be in a better shape.
emoji41.png
I happen to know that BeauS has the set up in the mail right now so he can chime in on his unboxing if he likes.
Db do you know if the production version going to have the SMA female or are they going to need the adapter also. Or can Pcdeveloper2014 answer it.

Took the standard and the terminator extreme with 5.8 panel for run up in a better flight path. My only issue was I forgot my 2.4 boosters and left them on another controller. So to make it work I did the 5.8 panel boosted and the 2.4 panels were unboosted and I had to use the 4 foot cables on the 2.4 unboosted panels. I only made it 18,000 feet before signal was lost. The Wi-Fi 2.4 got weaker and weaker. The boosted 5.8 panel however was 100% strong the entire trip. I suspect the weak signal was due to loss with long cables unboosted. Horizon said they intended boosters with these long cables. Only future testing will tell for sure.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466700041.116180.jpg

Took the standard and the terminator extreme with 5.8 panel for run up in a better flight path. My only issue was I forgot my 2.4 boosters and left them on another controller. So to make it work I did the 5.8 panel boosted and the 2.4 panels were unboosted and I had to use the 4 foot cables on the 2.4 unboosted panels. I only made it 18,000 feet before signal was lost. The Wi-Fi 2.4 got weaker and weaker. The boosted 5.8 panel however was 100% strong the entire trip. I suspect the weak signal was due to loss with long cables unboosted. Horizon said they intended boosters with these long cables. Only future testing will tell for sure. View attachment 57956
Thats still great for standard!!

Took the standard and the terminator extreme with 5.8 panel for run up in a better flight path. My only issue was I forgot my 2.4 boosters and left them on another controller. So to make it work I did the 5.8 panel boosted and the 2.4 panels were unboosted and I had to use the 4 foot cables on the 2.4 unboosted panels. I only made it 18,000 feet before signal was lost. The Wi-Fi 2.4 got weaker and weaker. The boosted 5.8 panel however was 100% strong the entire trip. I suspect the weak signal was due to loss with long cables unboosted. Horizon said they intended boosters with these long cables. Only future testing will tell for sure. View attachment 57956
I agree with Pro. That is great for a standard.

Any flights today DB with the standard and extreme!?!

Any flights today DB with the standard and extreme!?!
Just took it for a run this evening! It did good, w/ this flight path I wasn't amazed! But it DID keep strong enough signal for one complete DJI log! With lesser antenna setups when the signal is lost for even two seconds the DJI log usually breaks into seperate flights/logs! This antenna holds it together. Here's an image from a previous flight showing the narrow path I'm aiming through, now that its summer the leaves absorb signal from this path.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1467005666.178770.jpg

Heres what I ended up with! I just flew flat out til the first signal loss then didnt try to fight it!
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1467005820.969328.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1467005866.925835.jpg

Reactions: seb evans and BeauS

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z