This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

Just took it for a run this evening! It did good, w/ this flight path I wasn't amazed! But it DID keep strong enough signal for one complete DJI log! With lesser antenna setups when the signal is lost for even two seconds the DJI log usually breaks into seperate flights/logs! This antenna holds it together. Here's an image from a previous flight showing the narrow path I'm aiming through, now that its summer the leaves absorb signal from this path.View attachment 58313
Heres what I ended up with! I just flew flat out til the first signal loss then didnt try to fight it!View attachment 58314View attachment 58315
I want to clarify that statement, I DIDNT even get a total signal loss just a weak signal message! I already decided I would turn back at 55% so the signal prob could've been recovered

**** that's great... over 6.5 miles on a Standard!!! did you do that boosted or just straight power from the extreme?

Boosted, I'll test antennas out unboosted, but if I'm going for a long distance I'll boost an antenna whether it needs it or not! Last thing you need on the standard is to be 7 miles out and lose signal for three or four minutes

Reactions: phxbird57
Just took it for a run this evening! It did good, w/ this flight path I wasn't amazed! But it DID keep strong enough signal for one complete DJI log! With lesser antenna setups when the signal is lost for even two seconds the DJI log usually breaks into seperate flights/logs! This antenna holds it together. Here's an image from a previous flight showing the narrow path I'm aiming through, now that its summer the leaves absorb signal from this path.View attachment 58313
Heres what I ended up with! I just flew flat out til the first signal loss then didnt try to fight it!View attachment 58314View attachment 58315
Great work so far DB, is 55% a good number to turn around when starting out? Not sure I'll get to 35k but I wanna make the leaderboard! Those panels look nice and durable! I Like the look of your new cables too.

Great work so far DB, is 55% a good number to turn around when starting out? Not sure I'll get to 35k but I wanna make the leaderboard! Those panels look nice and durable! I Like the look of your new cables too.

The further out you are the more you got to pay attention to how low your percentage is, if you're only 20,000 feet out you'll make it back turning around at 55% with some room to spare. For example, and keep in mind this is with the battery mod, when I go out 50,000 feet I know I can't go lower than 50% and with those numbers I need to be able to fly back at least 35 mph. At 34 mph it takes 1% Per 1000 feet, if that makes any sense

Got a chance to take the standard out with the terminator extreme this morning in a decent flight path! It wasn't 100% bars the entire trip but I never lost signal and had perfect preview and satellite image.
I think part of the problem was I had these huge cranes directly in front of my flight path
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1467815284.337471.jpg

I turned around at 60% just to keep it safe but I had plenty of battery
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1467815363.012464.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1467815398.849543.jpg

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I had an Oh **** moment right at the end of the flight! I was within 1000 feet and starting the land when I got motor max speed errors, and the aircraft started spinning around three or four times, even though I straightened it out it was trying to autoland directly over a large cornfield! I've had this happen only on the standard when I load it down with too much batteries/weight!
With some half skilled, half luck piloting I managed to bring it over to the pasture I was standing in. Here's where the lesson begins! It landed upside down and still had preview and safe to fly GPS, so without shutting the controller off I walked over to it and when I picked it up the motor started to spin again and I was 500 feet away from the controller,so I had no way to dissarm the motors!! All I could do is hold it with one hand while trying to unplug the external XT 60 connectors and shut off the main battery with one hand! I managed it but it wasn't fun. I'm just glad I was able to Pilate it over to the pasture or else it would've landed in 8 foot tall corn that looks like a jungle[emoji41]
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1467816428.099137.jpg

I popped a new battery back in and took it for a spin, everything is running fine

I had an Oh **** moment right at the end of the flight! I was within 1000 feet and starting the land when I got motor max speed errors, and the aircraft started spinning around three or four times, even though I straightened it out it was trying to autoland directly over a large cornfield! I've had this happen only on the standard when I load it down with too much batteries/weight!
With some half skilled, half luck piloting I managed to bring it over to the pasture I was standing in. Here's where the lesson begins! It landed upside down and still had preview and safe to fly GPS, so without shutting the controller off I walked over to it and when I picked it up the motor started to spin again and I was 500 feet away from the controller,so I had no way to dissarm the motors!! All I could do is hold it with one hand while trying to unplug the external XT 60 connectors and shut off the main battery with one hand! I managed it but it wasn't fun. I'm just glad I was able to Pilate it over to the pasture or else it would've landed in 8 foot tall corn that looks like a jungle[emoji41]View attachment 59105
I popped a new battery back in and took it for a spin, everything is running fine
Have you ever notice how much of a signal you loss over a field like that?

Have you ever notice how much of a signal you loss over a field like that?

I dont see it as much w/ lightbridge, but I do think the combination of those crane towers and all of the leaves this time of year played a factor in the Wi-Fi system of the P3S dropping bars here in there and then regaining them. I'm guessing it also has an effect what it so leafy out on the Wi-Fi system of the P2V+

With some half skilled, half luck piloting I managed to bring it over to the pasture I was standing in. Here's where the lesson begins! It landed upside down and still had preview and safe to fly GPS, so without shutting the controller off I walked over to it and when I picked it up the motor started to spin again and I was 500 feet away from the controller,so I had no way to dissarm the motors!! All I could do is hold it with one hand while trying to unplug the external XT 60 connectors and shut off the main battery with one hand! I managed it but it wasn't fun. I'm just glad I was able to Pilate it over to the pasture or else it would've landed in 8 foot tall corn that looks like a jungle[emoji41]View attachment 59105

Nice goin DB way to wrestle that bird down hahaha!

Nice goin DB way to wrestle that bird down hahaha!

Thanks, the real fight was when I picked it up and the motors started spinning full speed! Trying to unplug two XT 60 connectors with one hand[emoji41] lesson learned is do a CSC to shut down the motors before you walk away from your controller

Could you imaging trying to unplug the xt60's without the dielectric grease on there lol!!

Got a chance to take the standard out with the terminator extreme this morning in a decent flight path! It wasn't 100% bars the entire trip but I never lost signal and had perfect preview and satellite image.
I think part of the problem was I had these huge cranes directly in front of my flight pathView attachment 59102
I turned around at 60% just to keep it safe but I had plenty of batteryView attachment 59103View attachment 59104
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
DB, you'd say the Extreme has a better ability to penetrate through objects over the Term and the Max?

DB, you'd say the Extreme has a better ability to penetrate through objects over the Term and the Max?

Havent done penetration tests w/ the extreme and p3a, but the 5.8 panel is pretty good over the 15 turn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31