The Ridge

OOO

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is a test video. Should I use these types of transition effects? Do they look any good?

Thanks

3rd version

Last edited:
Reactions: The Springs
You have some very nice takes however the fast yawing and zooming transitions are off putting (for me) and the inverted footage doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: OOO
You have some very nice takes however the fast yawing and zooming transitions are off putting (for me) and the inverted footage doesn’t make sense.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I'll delete the video and remake it.

007: It was gone before I could see it.

As a general rule, don’t use any gimmicks in editing if you want a professional look. Less is more. You, especially, have a really good eye for composition and interesting filming techniques (think “leaf blowing” for example). Plus only include genuinely interesting subject matter. Again, less is more.

As a general rule, don’t use any gimmicks in editing if you want a professional look. Less is more. You, especially, have a really good eye for composition and interesting filming techniques (think “leaf blowing” for example). Plus only include genuinely interesting subject matter. Again, less is more.

I'll remake it. This forum is my school, my library. Thank you so much!

Last edited:
I'll remake it. This forum is my school, my library and you are my teachers.Thank you so much!

your vids are really good man but unfortunatly i dont get much help on here, well feedback anyways ha. Get more comments and help on my Youtube channel as well as inspiration from other channels.

Shame as this should be the best place for all us Drone enthusiasts.

your vids are really good man but unfortunatly i dont get much help on here, well feedback anyways ha. Get more comments and help on my Youtube channel as well as inspiration from other channels.

Shame as this should be the best place for all us Drone enthusiasts.

Thank you! I don’t know exactly why you think so but this forum helped me a lot. I did not see anyone who was not helped here in need of help. I wish I could help you but you are more experienced than me. Have a wonderful weekend and all the best for 2018!

African Wildlife and With The Birds:
Thank you very much for your help. Please take a look and let me know your thoughts. I have made the changes you have suggested.

The opinions of others are nice but what is most important is your progression in your own creative process and realising your own vision.

I was disappointed to see you took your video down after only one critique. What I like many won’t and what others think is fantastic might not appeal to me. We all have different tastes.

The opinions of others are nice but what is most important is your progression in your own creative process and realising your own vision.

I was disappointed to see you took your video down after only one critique. What I like many won’t and what others think is fantastic might not appeal to me. We all have different tastes.

Thanks! I think this reaction can also be considered as a part of my progress. Learning! Actually I was not happy with first one and just wanted to see one more opinion. What do you think about colors? (I’m color blind).

Last edited:
007: The first thing I would say is “Be your fiercest critic”. You’ll then know where/when something isn’t quite right. And therefore get better and better. We’re frequently reshooting footage at the moment, to get it spot on - at least whenever possible. Some top film directors routinely do 50 takes or thereabouts!

I would begin the music with the title, either immediately or very soon afterward. For me, it currently starts too late and the initial silence doesn’t work (although I can see your reasoning).

Being detailed, I would slightly shorten your fourth sequence (bird flying). You’ve correctly decided to cut just after the bird has gone out of frame, but waited a bit too long (in terms of frames or split seconds) before making the out point.

Some of your later shots seem to suffer from underexposure. The foreground is very dark - which is fine if you’re wanting a silhouette effect (but I’m not sure it’s best here). The downside is a washed-out background. My question would be “Which is the most important subject matter?” and then get that correctly exposed.

As for colour, when you’re filming natural landscapes, I’m definitely of the view to work during the golden hours - the first and last hour(s) of sunlight. Nature’s warm colours are hard to beat and should need little or no colour correction (ideal for you). We’re currently getting up at 4.45am and mainly flying/filming between 5.30am and 6.30am to capture the best morning light.

To repeat what I said a while back, you definitely have the potential to be a top professional cinematographer when at your very best (if it wasn’t for your actual worthy work). So keep pushing, pushing, pushing - without crashing, of course.

007: The first thing I would say is “Be your fiercest critic”. You’ll then know where/when something isn’t quite right. And therefore get better and better. We’re frequently reshooting footage at the moment, to get it spot on - at least whenever possible. Some top film directors routinely do 50 takes or thereabouts!

I would begin the music with the title, either immediately or very soon afterward. For me, it currently starts too late and the initial silence doesn’t work (although I can see your reasoning).

Being detailed, I would slightly shorten your fourth sequence (bird flying). You’ve correctly decided to cut just after the bird has gone out of frame, but waited a bit too long (in terms of frames or split seconds) before making the out point.

Some of your later shots seem to suffer from underexposure. The foreground is very dark - which is fine if you’re wanting a silhouette effect (but I’m not sure it’s best here). The downside is a washed-out background. My question would be “Which is the most important subject matter?” and then get that correctly exposed.

As for colour, when you’re filming natural landscapes, I’m definitely of the view to work during the golden hours - the first and last hour(s) of sunlight. Nature’s warm colours are hard to beat and should need little or no colour correction (ideal for you). We’re currently getting up at 4.45am and mainly flying/filming between 5.30am and 6.30am to capture the best morning light.

To repeat what I said a while back, you definitely have the potential to be a top professional cinematographer when at your very best (if it wasn’t for your actual worthy work). So keep pushing, pushing, pushing - without crashing, of course.

Today we were exploring a new canyon and a cave system, and I've just come back home now. Sorry for answering late. It is very unusual for me to get such a detailed comment about my videos. I read your comments very carefully and noted all take home messages. I will try to do my best to follow your suggestions.

1) Regarding with music: I agree with you.
2) Long clip: Actually, I have followed your previous suggestions and restricted the duration of all clips to 5 seconds, except that one. I just wanted to show that bird a bit more [emoji57]
3) Underexposure issue: My primary purpose was to show those cliffs as a silhouette and they were intentionally underexposed. You’re probably right and this may not be a good example of silhouette effect.
4) Many thanks!

Last edited:

With The Bird and African Wildlfe:

As I mentioned in my first post, this is a test video. I want to use some transition effects in my videos but it should be eye-friendly and it should not deteriorate overall look. I'm trying to find a sweet spot between the two. I have followed your suggestions and revised the video one more time.
1) Transition effects: Most of the transition effects were removed
2) Duration of clips: I have ben trying to shorten duration of my clips since my first video and finally I did it! I think it is way better.
3) Exposure issue: I was trying to show those cliffs as a silhouette and they were intentionally underexposed.
4) Colors: I never trust my eyes regrading with colors.
5) Music: I changed background music.

Please let me know is it getting any better. Again many thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
I really like some of the transitions, especially 0:11 and 0:23. Both made me wonder "wait, was that actually one continuous, fast-forwarded shot?"

Others are a little awkward. 0:36 looks like a powerpoint transition, and 1:04 seems like a jump transition that could work between other shots, but here you didn't really jump far.

I really like some of the transitions, especially 0:11 and 0:23. Both made me wonder "wait, was that actually one continuous, fast-forwarded shot?"

Others are a little awkward. 0:36 looks like a powerpoint transition, and 1:04 seems like a jump transition that could work between other shots, but here you didn't really jump far.

Thanks Dylan! I have almost every transition pack for FCPX in the market. But if you don’t use them properly it won’t work. As I mentioned above I’m trying to find a sweet spot without effecting overall look. I’ll take same time but eventually I’ll learn how to use them :)

0.23: This is a continuous shot, splitted into two part and connected with transition effect.

Last edited:
Today we were exploring a new canyon and a cave system, and I've just come back home now. Sorry for answering late. It is very unusual for me to get such a detailed comment about my videos. I read your comments very carefully and noted all take home messages. I will try to do my best to follow your suggestions.

1) Regarding with music: I agree with you.
2) Long clip: Actually, I have followed your previous suggestions and restricted the duration of all clips to 5 seconds, except that one. I just wanted to show that bird a bit more [emoji57]
3) Underexposure issue: My primary purpose was to show those cliffs as a silhouette and they were intentionally underexposed. You’re probably right and this may not be a good example of silhouette effect.
4) Many thanks!
007: 2) I agree with the longer length. I was only suggesting to shave off a fraction at the end. Yes, wait until the bird has gone out of frame, then cut. But it lingered for a few frames or maybe up to 1 second too long after the bird had gone.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor