The new no fly zones keep growing

I have to plead ignorance of how the NFZs are established or how the app/aircraft/etc receives them. I'm new to drone flying but mildly familiar with flight restrictions as I work in the fire service with some involvement in local airports and with a number of helicopter services. Hope you can get it figured out!

today I went flying in a park outside the new stadium no fly zone and realized there is a newer, larger no fly zone around the city. That wasn't there yesterday.

This new zone pretty much restricts flight in most of the places I fly in the city, parks and open areas. My p3 is basically useless to me now.

My question is, how do I get around these no fly zones? They obviously aren't in the software or firmware. I even tried flying with autopilot without any luck.

Is there a way to hack these new ridiculous no fly zones?
Unfortunately this is a direct result of actions of some that have no business with any of this technology in their hands. Like who didn't see this coming? Some have absolutely no common sense at all and the rest of us have to pay the price. I will say that there are way more restrictions.

today I went flying in a park outside the new stadium no fly zone and realized there is a newer, larger no fly zone around the city. That wasn't there yesterday.

This new zone pretty much restricts flight in most of the places I fly in the city, parks and open areas. My p3 is basically useless to me now.

My question is, how do I get around these no fly zones? They obviously aren't in the software or firmware. I even tried flying with autopilot without any luck.

Don't worry. In few days you will be able to fly on other planets (Moon, Saturn e.t.c.) not here in the Earth!

Reactions: hot dog

Tomic, where are you in Canada. I am in eastern New Brunswick near Moncton and so far have only NFZ around the airport.

Tomic, where are you in Canada. I am in eastern New Brunswick near Moncton and so far have only NFZ around the airport.

He mentioned the SkyDome a while back so I'm gonna throw a dart at Toronto... ;)

That explains it, just part of the local blackout of Blue Jays games. If they didn't do it everyone in Toronto would be flying over the Dome just to avoid World Series ticket prices.

Q: what happens if you are a professional and need to fly within these zones for work? How can you do your job if the unit is locked out?

Seems like DJI need to add in a feature where you can regain the use for the expensive bit of hardware you just bought.

I'd personally say what they are doing is questionably legal as you haven't signed an contract agreeing that your hardware can be limited artificially by DJI (I agree and am ok with this before purchase); it's like a Ferrari that can do 300 km/h but is limited to ALWAYS doing the speed limit even when you take it to a track day.

What happens if you try and fly without GPS? If the satellite link is sending the NFZ info then perhaps that is worth testing?

Q: what happens if you are a professional and need to fly within these zones for work? How can you do your job if the unit is locked out?

Seems like DJI need to add in a feature where you can regain the use for the expensive bit of hardware you just bought.

I'd personally say what they are doing is questionably legal as you haven't signed an contract agreeing that your hardware can be limited artificially by DJI (I agree and am ok with this before purchase); it's like a Ferrari that can do 300 km/h but is limited to ALWAYS doing the speed limit even when you take it to a track day.

Interesting point. My fire station is just a mile or two outside the 5 NM radius of a general aviation airport (interestingly enough, not shown at all on the no-fly zones list from DJI, even though it's the tenth-busiest airport in the country). We're actually in the first response plan for emergencies at said airport, so we're well versed in operations near and on the aerodrome. Naturally we wouldn't fly the UAV near there without explicit authorization (and wouldn't expect to get it in 99.9% of cases). But in those 0.1% of situations where we had legitimate reason to fly, and got appropriate blessing from Nav Canada etc., if this airport was in the no-fly database, I guess we'd be out of luck.

I'm not sure how to hack zones, and to be honest I never would. As mentioned already it will lead you into a lot of trouble and probably arrest. It would also give other members of this great hobby a bad name and cause even more of a clampdown by the FAA/CAA.
But if we don't fight back you'll be filling out flight logs, need a license and physical and maybe even drug testing. For christ's sake, these are 2# Quads. Seems everytime some fun,new hobby emerges the regulators are on it like a shot. Jail Time? Cmon folks. We're not talkin' 2000# + aircraft.Seems a lot safer than filling the skies with full size aircraft and copters that have killed alotta pilots and civilians on the ground. I'll prefer outlaw than cow tow to what I think is a lotta BS. Sorry.

Reactions: hot dog
Seems like this thread has been hijacked from how do I hack around the NFZ and fly anyway, to thou shalt not fly in any NFZ ever.

In the interests of answering the original question, you can put a "Pope Hat" made of tin foil over the top of the P3, which will block the satellites, and allow you to fly in full manual mode, with the "Pope's blessings"! If it can't see satellites, it wrongly assumes you are somewhere you can safely fly! :cool:
Fly safely, and be careful!

Seems like this thread has been hijacked from how do I hack around the NFZ and fly anyway, to thou shalt not fly in any NFZ ever.

In the interests of answering the original question, you can put a "Pope Hat" made of tin foil over the top of the P3, which will block the satellites, and allow you to fly in full manual mode, with the "Pope's blessings"! If it can't see satellites, it wrongly assumes you are somewhere you can safely fly! :cool:
Fly safely, and be careful!
And when you are pulled over for flying in a NFZ you won't be able to claim ignorance.

That sums it up....we we!com cannnadannans down in Florida still. Sorry about the vapor air restrictions what city or what ever you call them?

Just curious since you mentioned Florida: I'm in south Miami, are there many restrictions down here? Getting my P3P this week, and would hate if they blocked everywhere!

(I mean besides airports)

These were established because of people who have disrespected the previous rules and regs. remember 911,,,,,guess what could be done with a drone of our size and capabliities.....I dont like it either but keep doing things we should not and the Feds will keep cracking down...get a life and keep things safe for all of the rest of us!!!!.

Thank you, I have researched the laws. For a drone under 2kg that is not been flown ep commercially I am allowed to fly my drone in these areas. The restriction is dji not the law

You keep mentioning DJI...not there call....get a different drone then..I like my DJI, has preferomed well....and does what I tell it....!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl