The FAA Revoked an Airplane Pilot’s License for Flying a Drone

That's how it works when you get an FAA Pilot License. Any type of "Aviation infraction" could result in loss of any flying privileges for a period of time (or perm). Same way with a Commercial Driver's License. If you do something while driving your personal vehicle it could very well have repercussions on your CDL as well.

Also you could lose flying privileges for infractions NOT associated with flying at all. A DUI/DWI is an example of this.

That's how it works when you get an FAA Pilot License. Any type of "Aviation infraction" could result in loss of any flying privileges for a period of time (or perm). Same way with a Commercial Driver's License. If you do something while driving your personal vehicle it could very well have repercussions on your CDL as well.

Also you could lose flying privileges for infractions NOT associated with flying at all. A DUI/DWI is an example of this.
Very true. Well said sir.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: BigAl07
I must have missed it what was his "Aviation infraction"
I can only "Guess" that it's because he was flying over a crowded area. It sounds like there were probably lots of people around and since he has an FAA Pilot's Certification he is expected to know and follow the rules and regulations to a "Tee". Even though the rules and regulations are almost impossible to fully understand and often times contradict from one to another.

As a noted Commercial Operator he would be expected to be able to operate in a manner that would not cause safety/regulations concerns. What bothers me is that since the NYPD threw out the ticket the "infraction" never happened. I guess they had pictures, video or something else to cause enough concern to warrant his temporary suspension of privileges.

I can only "Guess" that it's because he was flying over a crowded area. It sounds like there were probably lots of people around and since he has an FAA Pilot's Certification he is expected to know and follow the rules and regulations to a "Tee". Even though the rules and regulations are almost impossible to fully understand and often times contradict from one to another.

As a noted Commercial Operator he would be expected to be able to operate in a manner that would not cause safety/regulations concerns. What bothers me is that since the NYPD threw out the ticket the "infraction" never happened. I guess they had pictures, video or something else to cause enough concern to warrant his temporary suspension of privileges.

He said he was nowhere near the crowd of people......

“I was right there on the beach over private property—at the same time, they had their hot dog thing going on a block or two away,” ........“I did not fly over their hot dog thing or anywhere near it."

He said he was nowhere near the crowd of people......

“I was right there on the beach over private property—at the same time, they had their hot dog thing going on a block or two away,” ........“I did not fly over their hot dog thing or anywhere near it."

But I would imagine they had something more tangible than "He said" going against him or they would not have revoked his license for 90 days.

Did you see the video Doink?

I doubt at the NY seashore there was only one crowd of people.

Even so, often these aircraft don't just plummet, they 'flyaway' so the 'risk area' may not just be under the flight but also in proximity which is the basis for the stand-off or distance stipulations in the guidelines.

Reactions: BigAl07
'In October 2015, Quinones got a letter from the FAA informing him that the agency was suspending his license to fly manned aircraft commercially for three months because of the incident, which is notable, because the punishment has never happened before or since.

“If you fail to surrender your [pilot’s] certificate to FAA counsel as required by this order,” the letter Quinones got reads. “You will also be subject to further legal enforcement action, including a civil penalty of up to $1,100 a day for each day you fail to surrender your certificate.”'

There's a big difference between "a block or two away" and flying over the event. Someone is not telling the truth. Where's the video?

Always record when flying and keep the telemetry. If anyone asks questions, you have a verifiable record.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl