Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

The FAA Revoked an Airplane Pilot’s License for Flying a Drone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by datincan, Jun 3, 2016.

1. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

That's how it works when you get an FAA Pilot License. Any type of "Aviation infraction" could result in loss of any flying privileges for a period of time (or perm). Same way with a Commercial Driver's License. If you do something while driving your personal vehicle it could very well have repercussions on your CDL as well.

Also you could lose flying privileges for infractions NOT associated with flying at all. A DUI/DWI is an example of this.

N017RW and captainmilehigh like this.
  2. captainmilehigh

Very true. Well said sir.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

BigAl07 likes this.
  3. Dr. Dave

I must have missed it what was his "Aviation infraction"

4. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

I can only "Guess" that it's because he was flying over a crowded area. It sounds like there were probably lots of people around and since he has an FAA Pilot's Certification he is expected to know and follow the rules and regulations to a "Tee". Even though the rules and regulations are almost impossible to fully understand and often times contradict from one to another.

As a noted Commercial Operator he would be expected to be able to operate in a manner that would not cause safety/regulations concerns. What bothers me is that since the NYPD threw out the ticket the "infraction" never happened. I guess they had pictures, video or something else to cause enough concern to warrant his temporary suspension of privileges.

5. Doink

He said he was nowhere near the crowd of people......

“I was right there on the beach over private property—at the same time, they had their hot dog thing going on a block or two away,” ........“I did not fly over their hot dog thing or anywhere near it."

6. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

But I would imagine they had something more tangible than "He said" going against him or they would not have revoked his license for 90 days.

7. snerd

It was a huge annual event, on Coney Island, with tons of cops around. He chose to fly somewhere "near" it, close enough to be seen. Lesson learned. Hopefully.

Jason Porembski and BigAl07 like this.
  8. N017RW

Did you see the video Doink?

I doubt at the NY seashore there was only one crowd of people.

Even so, often these aircraft don't just plummet, they 'flyaway' so the 'risk area' may not just be under the flight but also in proximity which is the basis for the stand-off or distance stipulations in the guidelines.

BigAl07 likes this.
  9. Sagebrush

'In October 2015, Quinones got a letter from the FAA informing him that the agency was suspending his license to fly manned aircraft commercially for three months because of the incident, which is notable, because the punishment has never happened before or since.

“If you fail to surrender your [pilot’s] certificate to FAA counsel as required by this order,” the letter Quinones got reads. “You will also be subject to further legal enforcement action, including a civil penalty of up to $1,100 a day for each day you fail to surrender your certificate.”'

10. FASTFJR

If your going to be stupid you better be tough

BigAl07 likes this.
  11. Jason Porembski

Worst off was this with an AR Drone?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

12. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

There's a big difference between "a block or two away" and flying over the event. Someone is not telling the truth. Where's the video?

Always record when flying and keep the telemetry. If anyone asks questions, you have a verifiable record.

13. skidiver

After reading the entire FAA document in the referenced article, apparently he was flying the drone for commercial purposes without a 333 exemption.