Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Tennessee Drone Regulations

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations' started by Nickster, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Nickster

I was thinking of taking my P3S with me to Dale Hollow Lake over the weekend. I looked and TN has some very vague drone law where it basically says any quadcopter video or images are illegal. I would love some thoughts on this since it is an awesome lake and I would love to get some good photos and video with it. If this law did get enacted, then how is anyone flying there as a hobby?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

2. tcope

Comment on what? Without being able to read the actual regulation its all guesses.

The First Amendment places a pretty broad blanket over the right to film and take photos. It does not matter if its from a drone.

3. Nickster

4. Energy Guy

The law seems to refer to harassment of hunters and fishermen. If you are not planning to harass sportsmen, I wouldn't be worried about enforcement. Has it actually been enacted?

Also that registration website is not an official government site. I wouldn't register through them. I don't know for sure but, they may be skimming data from naive people who land there and give them their personal information.

5. Pharm

Your link doesn't say anything about it being illegal to shoot pictures or videos from a drone. It says it's illegal to take pictures or videos of people on private property which is questionable. That means I can't take a picture of my family in my own yard ( with or without a drone.) If I was near Dale Hollow, I'd make sure my drone was registered, I'd fly it safely, and I'd fly it all over Dale Hollow Lake. I wouldn't hover over anyone but other than that, have fun! I'm near Nashville, BTW.

#5 Pharm, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    Mike_Flys and Nickster like this.
  6. Nickster

Thanks for that. I registered with FAA in December. I figured it might be a phishing site, especially when it said the exact same thing for every state around it (I am in Ohio). I saw a YouTube video pop up from 2 days ago too. I would definitely not be hovering over people I don't know or low. Hoping I can get some good ones of us skiing and tubing! Or checking out the lake, like you said.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app