Tennessee Drone Regulations

I'm not sure if that lake is in a state park, but if you all are like me, the more solid information I can get, the better I can make decisions that keep me legal.

I had a conversation from a State Parks representative for Tennessee and he gave me the following information, which helped clear some things up for me, but the policy is clearly meant for manned aircraft. http://share.tn.gov/sos/rules/0400/0400-02/0400-02-02.20120320.pdf See the section on aircraft.

If you are going to film/photograph for commercial purposes, you will need to talk to the film commission and the park manager at the specific park. He stated it would be a case-by-case review. I have no idea on wait times for that review process.

Additionally, the department of Ag for TN is over State Forrests. Forestry Division - TN.Gov however, I couldn't really find anything there other than policies governing acts such as crop dusting.

I'm not sure if that lake is in a state park, but if you all are like me, the more solid information I can get, the better I can make decisions that keep me legal.

I had a conversation from a State Parks representative for Tennessee and he gave me the following information, which helped clear some things up for me, but the policy is clearly meant for manned aircraft. http://share.tn.gov/sos/rules/0400/0400-02/0400-02-02.20120320.pdf See the section on aircraft.

If you are going to film/photograph for commercial purposes, you will need to talk to the film commission and the park manager at the specific park. He stated it would be a case-by-case review. I have no idea on wait times for that review process.

Additionally, the department of Ag for TN is over State Forrests. Forestry Division - TN.Gov however, I couldn't really find anything there other than policies governing acts such as crop dusting.

Thanks for that info! That is some good reference material. It is a USACE TBA lake, so the corps own the lake. So, they will need to be contacted also.

Not sure if this was posted or applies to any of you but there is some spots approved by the USACE in Tennessee for UAVs. There isn't any approved locations down here in Georgia and I live 10 minutes away from one of their lakes [emoji17]

NR 16-020: Corps unveils policy for operation of unmanned aerial systems at Nashville District projects > Nashville District > News Releases
At least the Nashville District didn't outright ban them like they did in Georgia.

Reactions: DonJuanEstevan
That's what I was saying. I live right next to Allatoona lol
I took pictures of Lake Lanier a few years ago flying over in a Cessna. I would love to get some drone shots because the pictures aren't that great looking through airplane windows. I was very disappointed when I saw the ban.

I was thinking of taking my P3S with me to Dale Hollow Lake over the weekend. I looked and TN has some very vague drone law where it basically says any quadcopter video or images are illegal. I would love some thoughts on this since it is an awesome lake and I would love to get some good photos and video with it. If this law did get enacted, then how is anyone flying there as a hobby?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I was thinking of taking my P3S with me to Dale Hollow Lake over the weekend. I looked and TN has some very vague drone law where it basically says any quadcopter video or images are illegal. I would love some thoughts on this since it is an awesome lake and I would love to get some good photos and video with it. If this law did get enacted, then how is anyone flying there as a hobby?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I had stopped a couple weeks ago to fly my DJI phantom 3. I had stopped close to FT. loudon lake to get some shots of the lake and around. I had used up 2 batterys flying and as I was walking out I was approached by the TWRA. He informed me that I was breaking the law by flying in the area with it being TWRA land. He did go on to tell me that with special permission I could but unless I had prior consent it was not

Nickster, I live in Nashville and have bee flying my p3s for about 6 months now with no worries. I'm registered and fly around in the bells bend area. I just follow the obvious rules and no one has bothered me. If anything they are fascinated with it. Wide open spaces to fly in near the Cumberland river

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Hi Phil We are heading to Nashville on monday, ive never been to Nashville so dont know alot of the area, but was hoping to take the drone along, just not sure where to go when we get there thats close by to go fly to get some nice shots or video, you have any suggestions? We are thinking of driving to Graceland and place along the drive there thats okay to fly with good scenery? Ive heard the whole smokey mountain area is off limits is this correct? Just wondering if its a waste of time to bother bringing it, or there is some spots that a guy can fly thaats not to far out of the way?
\thanks.....oh by the way heading up there from Sask Canada
Sid

I do find it very odd that I can fly my plane over a national park to take pictures, but not my drone. My plane makes a lot more noise and would do much more damage in a crash.

I do find it very odd that I can fly my plane over a national park to take pictures, but not my drone. My plane makes a lot more noise and would do much more damage in a crash.

You can fly a drone over it.
You just can’t operate (take-off/land) from the grounds.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1