Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

Just upgraded to iPad Mini 4 64g with cellular. Video is clear, crisp and fast. No lag at all. Did channel hack from 8 to 32. Went 3500 ft with no video lag. Luv this bird.

...Did channel hack from 8 to 32. Went 3500 ft with no video lag. Luv this bird.

What's this channel hack of which you speak? I'm intrigued!
The best I get is about 1600' before it get low video signal warnings and framerate dropouts.

What's this channel hack of which you speak? I'm intrigued!
The best I get is about 1600' before it get low video signal warnings and framerate dropouts.

The 32 channel hack allowed us to go back to the original range of frequencies we had when the P3 first launched. The hack permits us to manually select any of the full 32 channels, but the hack does not allow automatic selection of the extended channels. Also, not all countries allow the hack, so most people outside of the US set their device to US to allow for the custom option to be enabled on the channel selection page.

Note - the legality of using the extended channels has been questioned. There were some epic threads on it when the hack first emerged. You can decide that for yourself of course. I have the hack and it works well though I rarely need it. I can usually find a quiet enough stock channel, but everyone has a unique situation. Sounds like you are in a noisier area since you can only get 1600'.

You use android devices, right? If you decide to install the hack, be careful to put the extracted file in exactly the location shown in the instructions. It has been common for android users to put the file in a similar sounding but incorrect location.

Good luck sir!

RC Groups - View Single Post - Official Phantom 3 Professional / Advanced ***Owner's Thread*** First post has FAQ

More channels hack

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe and Elmojo
A copy-paste of my post from another topic considering tablets (Nexus 7) to be more accurate:

This is for all people having Nexus 7 2012. (1st gen. laying around).

I had this tablet around for 3 years, almost 2 years it was laying around dead (couldn't charge or turn it on) and forgotten. Since i bought P3 Pro i decided to save some money and bring it back to life, and i did (ask me if you want to know how).

Then i started reading how it will not be sufficient for operating this craft due to its hardware limitations. After reading some more, i found a way to overclock its processor and GPU. So i did that.

What you need to do is:

• if upgraded, downgrade to KitKat 4.4.4. (maybe this is not necessery) and DJI Go 2.6.0 (or latest) as 3rd party software - you can not install it through google play
  • to overclock it (let me know if anyone is interested and i will find links i used in this process) You can overclock CPU from 1.2Ghz to 1.6Ghz and give it lowest frequency at 1Ghz.
  • install only apps you really need, keep OS as clean as you can
  • in developer options under geeky stats (before every flight) turn of everything running in foreground and background you don't need (specially google chrome-ram devourer)
  • in app - turn off screen capture (recording on the device)
  • set HD video link to custom channel (of your desire) at 4.Mbps

Yesterday i flew with this setup and it got me easily 1km (0.621371 miles) at 50m hight, will try more these days.
It had a lag but if was very, very, very small and totally flyable and comfortable 1080p @50fps

This takes some time (1-3 hours) depending on user, but it is a $ saver if you are on a budget.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: TrevorTron
God info Oso, thanks!
I'll look into that when I can. Sounds like I need to do the hack, since I'm not getting much range.
It's odd, since I live in a fairly rural area, with only my own wi-fi and whatever cellular is in the area.
Otherwise, my neighborhood is virtually empty, EM-wise.

Reactions: Oso
Is there anyone using these two mobile for dji go??hows the performance??
1. Xiaomi Note Pro
2. Huawei Honor 7
I have Huawei Honor 7 and Phantom 3 Pro. Initially, 17 flight ok. Then, at the beginning of March 2016 required an update, as a result of the RC does not work and Honor 7 can not view any Camera view.

Tablets and phones that work well DJI GO

Overview

There are a wide variety of Apple and Android devices available. It's important to make sure you're using a device that is powerful enough in order to prevent the DJI GO app from lagging, freezing, and/or crashing during use. The following list includes devices recommended by Phantom Help (), devices recommended by DJI (), and other devices that are most often recommended by Phantom pilots.

[H][/H]

Apple Devices

iPhone 5s (4 inches)
iPhone 6 (4.7 inches)
iPhone 6 Plus (5.5 inches)
iPhone 6s (4.7 inches)
iPhone 6s Plus (5.5 inches)

iPad Air (9.7 inches)
iPad Air 2 (10 inches)
iPad Mini 2 (7.9 inches)
iPad Mini 3 (7.9 inches)
iPad Mini 4 ― (7.9 inches)

►► iPad Pro ― (12.9 inches)

Note:
Both Wi-Fi only and cellular iPad Air/Mini/Pro models are compatible. Only cellular models have GPS. You do not have to enable the cell service in order to use the GPS. The DJI GO app currently only requires GPS on an Apple device when using the Follow Me feature or to reset the home point to your current location if you've moved elsewhere after taking off.

Note: Tablets wider than 6.75 inches (including the case) will require an extender to be installed on the remote controller mount. The iPad Air will fit without case. This extender is designed well and will securely hold your tablet in place.

Note: Your Apple device will work better out of the box if you follow these tips.

[H][/H]

Android Devices

►► Acer Iconia Tab (8 inches)
►► Acer Iconia Tab (10.1 inches)

►► Google Nexus 5 (5 inches)
Google Nexus 7 [2013] (7 inches)
Google Nexus 9 (8.9 inches)
►► HTC One (4.7 inches)
Huawei Ascend Mate 7 ― (6.8 inches)
Huawei P8 Max ― (6.8 inches)
►► Lenovo A3500 (7 inches)
►► Lenovo Tab S8-50 (8 inches)
Nubia Z7 Mini (5 inches)
Nvidia Shield K1 (8 inches)
►► RCA Voyager II ― (7.1 inches)
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (5.7 inches)
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (5.7 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy Note 5 ― (5.7 inches)

►► Samsung Galaxy S4 (5 inches)
Samsung Galaxy S5 (5.1 inches)
Samsung Galaxy S6 (5.1 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge (5.1 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 ― (7 inches)

►► Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 ― (10.1 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite (7 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (7 inches)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 705c ― (8.4 inches)

►► Samsung Galaxy Tab A ―(8 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy Tab A ―(9.7 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro (8.4 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro (10.1 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro (12.2 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 ― (8 inches)

Smartisan T1 ― (4.95 inches)
►► Sony Xperia Z2 (5.2 inches)
Sony Xperia Z3 (5.2 inches)
Xiaomi Mi 3 ― (5 inches)

Xiaomi Mi Pad ― (7.9 inches)

Note: Tablets wider than 6.75 inches (including the case) will require an extender to be installed on the remote controller mount. This extender is designed well and will securely hold your tablet in place.

Note: The DJI GO app currently only requires GPS on an Android device when using the Follow Me feature or to reset the home point to your current location if you've moved elsewhere after taking off.

Note: Your Android device will work better out of the box if you follow these tips.
It was nice to find a list of devices to use with the DJI Go app, thank you. However, I have tried a number of different tablets on this list and found that they are not compatible. Unless I am doing something wrong. I was trying to stay inside a reasonable budget considering the tablets only purpose will be FPV viewing. In my experience I have found that the Lenovo S8-50, Voyager II and Google Nexus said they were not compatible when attempting to download the app. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? My next tablet purchase will most likely be a Samsung, seems that most people have had luck with those. Thanks again.

It was nice to find a list of devices to use with the DJI Go app, thank you. However, I have tried a number of different tablets on this list and found that they are not compatible. Unless I am doing something wrong. I was trying to stay inside a reasonable budget considering the tablets only purpose will be FPV viewing. In my experience I have found that the Lenovo S8-50, Voyager II and Google Nexus said they were not compatible when attempting to download the app. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? My next tablet purchase will most likely be a Samsung, seems that most people have had luck with those. Thanks again.
I use an iPad, but I have read several times in this very thread and others that some Android tablets may appear at first to be not compatible, but they work okay if you side load the app.
Perhaps that would help in this case, especially if you are trying devices that msinger has on his list as you noted you were.

Last edited:

I guess I was lucky. At first I did not know about these compatibility issues, I just happened to have an unused Xperia Z1 phone- stuck the app on that and it it ran like a dream. Only problem was the small screen. Then, after buying a larder tab I discovered that it is quite a demanding app. So, although it is possible to side-load onto an apparently incompatible device, don't be surprised if you have lag or crashing (of the app) problems.
I ended up with a Samsung Tab S2 (after discovering that the iPad mini 2 was a bit dim) and, although it "works" it doesn't feel as smooth as the Sony did. Great display though :)

The nVidia Shield K1 is tough to beat. It's only $200 from Amazon, rocks the DJI app with no issues, has built-in HDMI-out (which works great for sharing your flight with a crowd via an external TV), and fits the remote holder with no issues.
If you're trying to keep to a budget, that's the one I'd recommend.

Not to be "that guy", but have you read any of this thread?
Have you tried searching for "zenpad 8"?
There's lots of info out there. You'll probably get a quicker answer that way...
Short answer: not very well. It seems to suffer from video lag.

Got the chance of a cheap Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Anyone know if they are ok with the go app. I don't fly over 1k away.

I don't know what processor that unit uses, but my Xperia Z1 Compact (phone) worked flawlessly. Screen was just too small unfortunately.
If you do get it, let us know how it goes please?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor