Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

Just an FYI. The mini 3 is going to be $300 all weekend at Best Buy -- yet more signalling that a new mini is coming from apple. I am trying really hard to not buy one, I don't do apple either, but we'll see.

The ASUS 580CA is interesting for $300, as is the recently announced Predator 8. I am heavily invested in the android ecosystem, I hate the idea of a 1-off mini . . .

Regarding the iPad Mini 3, you are correct...it is only $300...BUT, that is ONLY the Wi-Fi version. The cellular version is also $100 off, but, even on sale at Best Buy, it's still $430. The cellular version I picked up wss $300, saving me $130 off Best Buy's "sale" price, or $230 off their regular price. Like I said, you can find brand-new 16GB cellular-connected iPad Mini 2 for only $300 (give/take a few $$$), if you check Amazon.

As for the "heavily invested in the Android ecosystem", the same applies to me. I have a Galaxy S6, Asus ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580C), Nexus 7 (2013) LTE, and Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition)...plus I have an Asus ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580CA) on pre-order from B&H Photo.

Either way, I wish you luck in whatever decision you make. I dislike Apple almost more than anyone I know, yet, where a tablet for my P3P was concerned, in the end, I chose to make the intelligent & logical decision, and ignore my feelings about Apple.

If I go cellular, Verizon may be an option. The Mini2 is $229 with a 2 year contract for data I am already going to use (the 3 is $100 more). Just have to see how this works with all the other devices I have with them. May result in no real pain for me being tied into them . . .

If I go cellular, Verizon may be an option. The Mini2 is $229 with a 2 year contract for data I am already going to use (the 3 is $100 more). Just have to see how this works with all the other devices I have with them. May result in no real pain for me being tied into them . . .

Just curious, but, do you already have a tablet (or even a phone line) that's currently connected to Verizon, but which you rarely (or never, at least currently) use via 3G/4G? The reason I ask is this. Using my Nexus 7 LTE as a perfect example, I realized that, since I moved a few months ago, my data usage was virtually non-existent. I've had a few KB of data each month...only due to accidentally turning off Wi-Fi...but, realistically, I've only been connecting it via Wi-Fi. I simply called Verizon, and had them switch the line from the SIM card in the N7, to the microSIM inside the iPad Mini 2.

It's not costing me anything extra, and I still have use of both tablets. The only difference is, now the N7 acts as if it's a Wi-Fi only device. I manually turned off cellular connectivity (via 'Settings'), but chose to leave the SIM card inside. That way, if the iPad ever has problems bad enough that I can't use it to fly (yes, I bought AppleCare for it, but getting to an Apple store could take a few days), I can simply call Verizon, and have then swap SIM info until the iPad were to be replaced (then have Verizon swap them back again). I consider my N7 my "P3P backup tablet plan".

I have 2 kids and a wife with phones on the plan. I have a tablet (POS) they gave me when my wife got her iphone 5s :mad:. I actually need a new tablet, because the POS they gave me is near end of life.

That is a big reason I'd prefer to not go apple, this tablet will also be my daily driver for my tablet fun. To your point, I have a 4G sim for it, but I never use it. I always have wifi when I want to use a tablet. Worst case, I can hot spot my phone.

To save the $200, big red will want to lock me into some sort of data plan for 2 years. My hope is to have that data plan be part of the shared data plan for the other 3 phones. The family will use the data, I won't -- unless to your point I have to. Nice to have the ability if I need it.

I run a Note 4 right now, with unlimited data :D. I will keep that plan as long as I can . . .

I went with WiFi only thinking that I could always HotSpot from my iPhone 5S to update in the field. Also if I need to use a GPS enabled device for certain features I'll use my 5S at that time (follow me etc)

cheap CHUWI HI8 works fine (and excellent table with dual OS, 1920x1200 and bright screen).
Would be nice an app too working with W8.

regards

Does a tablet have to have cell service in order for it to properly with the app?

From my understanding, cell service isn't required, but you really do want GPS. Even then, you'll probably still want data-connectivity, whether it's a carrier-connected tablet, or a tablet connected to your phone via Wi-Fi Hotspot, as you won't have any maps on the tablet...unless you preload them.

Of course, this only applies if you're using an Android tablet. As I discovered after trying out a Wi-Fi iPad Mini 2, non-cellular Apple devices do NOT have GPS, as Apple using a combination GPS/cellular chipset. If you want to use an Apple tablet, then you really do need a cellular version.

Reactions: Fplvert
I just now connected my brand new ipad mini 3 wifi only version to my Android Note 5 via hotspot. The ipad mini shows the exact location. I am moving around outside and the location on the ipad is following me.
It appears that the ipad IS getting location information from my phone when connected.
Am I missing something here? Where's the problem?

Well, I guess I did jump the gun a bit here, lol. I knew something wasn't right.
I drove around the block and the block and the location accuracy wasn't very good. I guess it get's the triangulated location from the celluar towers, not GPS data. I suppose it's good enough to get the maps when out and about but sure not good enough for follow me mode.
But I am sure most of you guys have already figured that out, lol.

I remember when I had an Android Phone / Tablet combo I used a GPS share app that when connected to the non-GPS tablet would provide location to the tablet via Bluetooth....I wonder if that would be possible across Platforms, Android Phone to iPad ?

Honestly, I don't think it will. When using a Wi-Fi Android tablet connected to a phone via the Hotspot or tethering (Wi-Fi or Bluetooth), the tablet, itself, has its own GPS chip, thus it knows it's location workout the need for any other device. The connection, technically, is for the map. Where Apple devices (ie. iPads) are concerned, the Wi-Fi only products (as I found out a little too late, but not too late to extreme it for a cellular version) do NOT have GPS, thus, even if you tether/Hotspot them to another device, they still will NOT have GPS.

Honestly, I don't think it will. When using a Wi-Fi Android tablet connected to a phone via the Hotspot or tethering (Wi-Fi or Bluetooth), the tablet, itself, has its own GPS chip, thus it knows it's location workout the need for any other device. The connection, technically, is for the map. Where Apple devices (ie. iPads) are concerned, the Wi-Fi only products (as I found out a little too late, but not too late to extreme it for a cellular version) do NOT have GPS, thus, even if you tether/Hotspot them to another device, they still will NOT have GPS.

I figured that out in the post just before yours ;-)

But, I know for a fact that one of my very first Android tablets did NOT have a GPS chip and I shared the phone's GPS data via an app and bluetooth.

what about the new Samsung Tab S2 coming out tomorrow in both 8&10" models. looks interesting.

I guess what really interests me the most is which tablet is most visible in the sun, I find using a hood does very little in terms of making things better unless I am flying mid day which I normally don't due to windy conditions
I would give up a little lag for better viewable tablet

Reactions: Nizar Ghosn
I guess what really interests me the most is which tablet is most visible in the sun, I find using a hood does very little in terms of making things better unless I am flying mid day which I normally don't due to windy conditions
I would give up a little lag for better viewable tablet
yap , a very good point to discuss ... !!! the iPad mini 3 "mine" very bad in the sun 360cd/m2 wish is awful .. i see my s6 edge "510 cd/m2" is a great substitute but small .. !!!

yap , a very good point to discuss ... !!! the iPad mini 3 "mine" very bad in the sun 360cd/m2 wish is awful .. i see my s6 edge "510 cd/m2" is a great substitute but small .. !!!
Funny I tried my S6 and yes a little better but with my 53 year old eyes forget about it. I'm going to pick up a anti glare protector to see if it helps the mini at all.
I also have an older note 3 same thing to small and needs a anti glare shield

Reactions: Nizar Ghosn
just wanted to add this info to this topic, samsung s3 tab 8gb 7in. Wi-Fi only does not work.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor