Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

It's like buying Digital Insurance, for future Firmware upgrades... ;-)

Better to be prepared, like a good Boy Scout.

RedHotPoker

Buying an iPad Air 2 64 GB Cellular, is like already ready Freddy!?!

In preparation for FolloW Me, POI, Ground Station-Way Points.
And any other incidentals 'Inclouded' in the next best FirmWare update.

Money in the bank, Hank.

I should have been in sales,
Instead of delivery.

I do wonder about the next new iPads, the ones not yet released?
What kind of processor power and HD memory capacity they may hold.

RedHotPoker

Buying an iPad Air 2 64 GB Cellular, is like already ready Freddy!?!

In preparation for FolloW Me, POI, Ground Station-Way Points.
And any other incidentals 'Inclouded' in the next best FirmWare update.

Money in the bank, Hank.

I should have been in sales,
Instead of delivery.

I do wonder about the next new iPads, the ones not yet released?
What kind of processor power and HD memory capacity they may hold.

RedHotPoker
I'm waiting it out. I had SIM issues with my cellar air 2 so I returned it. Gonna wait to see what kind of new iPad apple releases. Either I'll get one of the new ones or a cheap air 2 cellular.

Buying an iPad Air 2 64 GB Cellular

Unfortunately (at least for followers of the iReligion), Apple doesn't really care about "customers interested in firmware updates". Their biggest (read, most important to them) importance is convincing their 'loyal iSheep' to purchase their "latest & greatest" each, and every, time they release an updated version...and that's something they've accomplished quite well, as people continue to purchase the newest iPhone/iPad every time they release one.

I'm not saying that every iDevice-user upgrades annually, but I'd estimate it's incredibly safe to assume that at least 3 out of 4 (maybe even higher) of them do. Does Apple make outstanding products? You bet they do. Does Apple take care of their customer's problems as quickly, and as satisfactorily, as possible. Again, that's a big 10-4. But, even knowing these things, there's no denying that Apple is also the most greedy tech company known to humankind.

Nevertheless, I wish you the best of luck with the iPad you'll be getting. To me, it doesn't matter whether you're using Android or iOS devices...if you're flying your P3 (back, even the Inspire 1, if I could afford it), have as much fun as possible. The next "best news footage" not shot by a news crew will probably be done by someone flying a DJI drone. :-D

I actually upgrade my iphone ever 2 years. I'm still using a 16 GB iPad 2, which I mainly use for reading books on flights and control my gopro stuff. I was thinking of the mini to use on my drone and to use with dash command in my vehicles, since the iPad is so huge to use in a vehicle lol.

Unfortunately (at least for followers of the iReligion), Apple doesn't really care about "customers interested in firmware updates". Their biggest (read, most important to them) importance is convincing their 'loyal iSheep' to purchase their "latest & greatest" each, and every, time they release an updated version.
Please, lets not let another "which tablet" thread degrade into an Android / iOS schoolyard name calling session. We can do better.

Reactions: JoBe
Acer iconia.... Seems to be working, but once I cache a flight to my acer, it will crash after the recording stops... I did find that if I delete the cached video from the folder, All is well again no more crashes.

Acer iconia.... Seems to be working, but once I cache a flight to my acer, it will crash after the recording stops... I did find that if I delete the cached video from the folder, All is well again no more crashes.

Same issue, frustrating as hell, especially when out in the field, trying to get video for a client.

Gave up and switched to an iPad Mini 2. Can't say the video is any less laggy, but all in all appears to be smooth, and don't have to worry about random crashes.

Something several people have discovered is that, by turning off the cache, you'll improve the performance of the app, as well as the tablet. Additionally, you'll eliminate (or, worst case scenario, severely limit) the app crashes & tablet reboots.

Reactions: CodeRed
I'm just waiting for Apple to introduce their new iPad. Either I'll get that or a deeply discounted iPad Air 2.

I've now used 4 android devices and they all made flying a sketchy experience with laggy FPV. I've used the following:

- Note 3
- Note 4
- Nexus 9
- Asus Zenpad Z580C (the 2Gb zenpad 8")

All of those were laggy. I have zero issues with an iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6. Both were smooth as butter.

Last edited:
So Does the samsung Tab S 8.4 work with the p3p?

I've now used 4 android devices and they all made flying a sketchy experience with laggy FPV. I've used the following:

- Note 3
- Note 4
- Nexus 9
- Asus Zenpad Z580C (the 2Gb zenpad 8")

While I can't speak for the first three, I do find it interesting that your Asus ZenPad S 8.0 Z580C showed lag in the video. There are a few of us in here, myself included, who have the Z580C, and have found it to be virtually lag-free. I also have a Nexus 7 LTE (currently in the possession of Asus, for repair), that, while not completely lag-free, does have less lag than most other Android tablets. Before giving up entirely on Android tablets, you should consider the Nexus 7 (2013), or even the nVidia Shield. If you do decide to go with an Apple device, you should consider the iPad Mini 2 or 3, as their size is better than a full-sized iPad.

While I can't speak for the first three, I do find it interesting that your Asus ZenPad S 8.0 Z580C showed lag in the video. There are a few of us in here, myself included, who have the Z580C, and have found it to be virtually lag-free. I also have a Nexus 7 LTE (currently in the possession of Asus, for repair), that, while not completely lag-free, does have less lag than most other Android tablets. Before giving up entirely on Android tablets, you should consider the Nexus 7 (2013), or even the nVidia Shield. If you do decide to go with an Apple device, you should consider the iPad Mini 2 or 3, as their size is better than a full-sized iPad.

I had an Air 2 and I loved the size. I just had to send it back because it was defective.

I'd like to be able to use the Zenpad Z580C if I could but I can't figure out why it was so laggy. I shut down all running apps and made sure only the DJI app was the only thing running and still no luck.

I'm not willing to buy it and downgrade everything just to run DJI GO. None of that craziness is necessary on the iPad or iPhone.

Apple is going to announce their iPad mini 4 this September. I will wait and see what they are offering. Not to mention the price on the mini 2/3 will drop quite a bit after mini 4 got announced if you don't wanna spend the extra cash for a brand new tablet. And consider the mini 3 doesn't even have any hardware upgrade over the mini 2. It is simply a mini 2 with Touch ID and gold color to choose from. IMO, it is not very future proofing.

I like the mini size over the iPad air. It is more balance on the controller.

The DJI website says on recommended devices: "This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus".

So does that mean the app works better with iPhone 5S or iPhone 6 / 6+ than with iPads or Android devices?

Is there any noticeable difference between ipad Mini 2 and iPad Mini 3, or the iPad Air and iPad Air 2, for example less lagging or something like that?+

Last edited:
I'm waiting it out. I had SIM issues with my cellar air 2 so I returned it. Gonna wait to see what kind of new iPad apple releases. Either I'll get one of the new ones or a cheap air 2 cellular.

That is weird. I took the sim out of my nvidia shield and cut it down to micro size and slipped it into my new air 2 cellular and booted it up and it worked straight away.

That is weird. I took the sim out of my nvidia shield and cut it down to micro size and slipped it into my new air 2 cellular and booted it up and it worked straight away.

My iPad was defective. It worked great for a week the suddenly it stopped reading the SIM. It's gone now so just waiting for something new... Or another ipad air 2.

The DJI website says on recommended devices: "This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus".

So does that mean the app works better with iPhone 5S or iPhone 6 / 6+ than with iPads or Android devices?

Is there any noticeable difference between ipad Mini 2 and iPad Mini 3, or the iPad Air and iPad Air 2, for example less lagging or something like that?+

First, there are Apple devices (cell phones, as well as tablets) that work better than other models, and the same applies ttyl Android devices. As far as I'm aware, there's no "device that beats them all." (Thank you J.R.R. Tolkien)

Regarding the iPad Mini 2 vs 3, technically, there's no difference. With the exception of the fingerprint reader built into the Mini 3, they are the EXACT same. Knowing that, the question to ask is, is it worth paying $100 extra just for a lousy fingerprint reader?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119