Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

The converter I posted the link to is an HDMI to 'composite' video.
I'm not using an HDMI to component video (which uses 3 RCA connectors marked Y, PB/CB and PR/CR).

Here are some pics of my set up running DJI Go on the $88 Proscan and sending it to the 5" composite monitor for the goggles, via an HDMI cable to the $12 HDMI to composite video converter, and on to the monitor via an RCA cable, with nothing attached to the converter but the HDMI and composite video RCA cables (no USB power cable at all).
The monitor does need 12V DC power (in the pics I'm using a wall wart, but in practice I use a small LiPo, and put it all in an old fanny pack).

View attachment 37568 View attachment 37569
Can you show how you wired this. I would like to do this wiyh my DIY goggles. Thanks.

@msinger please update the opening message.
Google Nexus 6 works with the P3S, only if on Lollipop. A Marshmallow update will lead to Disconnected/No Signal.

Do you need cellular on your device? What do you give up without it?

Thanks

Can you show how you wired this. I would like to do this wiyh my DIY goggles. Thanks.

I posted pictures of the connections here: Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

Be sure to get the 'exact' $10 converter from Amazon that I posted about in this thread (a few posts before the above referenced post) as it has been reported that others that seem to be the same (but aren't) will require a USB power, while the one I used is self powered.

It's simply using HDMI source from your table or whatever, which is connected to the converter via the proper HDMI cable, then using an RCA to RCA cable ... you go from the converter's 'video out' to the Quanum DIY goggles' 'video in' (which as you know, also needs a 12V supply) ... I'm using a small LiPo battery for that.

The only issue I'm having with the DIY Quanums is because I'm farsighted, and it's a bit of a challenge to find a set of reading glasses/lens from a magnifying headsets (like jewelers use) to get focus in the Quanums.
But for people using any version of the Quanums FPV goggles successfully, this setup is less cost than the just DJI HDMI controller back, and that includes the price of the $88 10" Proscan tablet (which includes the HDMI output) and the converter.

Thanks
You don't need a cellular device. Any "decent" device would do it's job.
If you don't have cellular, it's recommended you cache the maps for the area you're flying. That's the only thing, AFAIK.

Reactions: Badfinger
Thanks
For some reason Apple devices without cellular also don't have GPS. (There are pricey GPS dongles that can remedy this.) Most, maybe all, Android devices have GPS, with or without cellular. You can't use Follow Me mode on the P3 unless your mobile device has GPS.

In addition to caching, another way is to setup a wifi hotspot on your cellphone to get map data.

Reactions: Badfinger
Unfortunately there's no option to connect to two wireless networks in the same time with an android device, so there's no use of a wifi hotspot, If we're taking about Standard. I don't know what's the situation with the advanced and professional.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help so I don't have to buy twice.:eek:

I posted pictures of the connections here: Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

Be sure to get the 'exact' $10 converter from Amazon that I posted about in this thread (a few posts before the above referenced post) as it has been reported that others that seem to be the same (but aren't) will require a USB power, while the one I used is self powered.

It's simply using HDMI source from your table or whatever, which is connected to the converter via the proper HDMI cable, then using an RCA to RCA cable ... you go from the converter's 'video out' to the Quanum DIY goggles' 'video in' (which as you know, also needs a 12V supply) ... I'm using a small LiPo battery for that.

The only issue I'm having with the DIY Quanums is because I'm farsighted, and it's a bit of a challenge to find a set of reading glasses/lens from a magnifying headsets (like jewelers use) to get focus in the Quanums.
But for people using any version of the Quanums FPV goggles successfully, this setup is less cost than the just DJI HDMI controller back, and that includes the price of the $88 10" Proscan tablet (which includes the HDMI output) and the converter.
I have modded my DIY Goggles with ski goggles so I can wear reading glasses , I also added about 2 inches to the length of the DIYs so the focus is rite.
Works good for me. Thanks.

Reactions: Flyer91
I bought an RCA 7" Tablet 16GB Quad Core from Walmart. I works great, except you have to install the DJI Go app by hand. The apps store says the device in incompatible.

In addition to the devices DJI recommends (at the bottom of their specs), here are other devices that people found work well with the DJI GO app:

Apple:
iPhone 5s (4 inches)
iPhone 6 (4.7 inches)
iPhone 6 Plus (5.5 inches)
iPhone 6s (4.7 inches)
iPhone 6s Plus (5.5 inches)

iPad Air (9.7 inches)
iPad Air 2 (10 inches)
iPad Mini 2 (7.9 inches)
iPad Mini 3 (7.9 inches)
iPad Mini 4 ― (7.9 inches)
iPad Pro ― (12.9 inches)

Note:
Both Wi-Fi only and cellular iPad models are compatible. Only cellular models have GPS. You do not have to enable the cell service in order to use the GPS.

Android:
Acer Iconia Tab (8 inches)
Acer Iconia Tab (10.1 inches)

Google Nexus 5 (5 inches)
Google Nexus 7 [2013] (7 inches)
Google Nexus 9 (8.9 inches)
HTC One (4.7 inches)
Huawei Ascend Mate 7 ― (6.8 inches)
Huawei P8 Max ― (6.8 inches)
Lenovo A3500 (7 inches)
Lenovo Tab S8-50 (8 inches)
Nubia Z7 Mini (5 inches)
Nvidia Shield K1 (8 inches)
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (5.7 inches)
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (5.6 inches)
Samsung Galaxy S4 (5 inches)
Samsung Galaxy S5 (5.1 inches)
Samsung Galaxy S6 (5.1 inches)
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge (5.1 inches)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 ― (7 inches)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 ― (10.1 inches)

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite (7 inches)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (7 inches)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 705c ― (8.4 inches)
Samsung Galaxy Tab A ―(8 inches)
Samsung Galaxy Tab A ―(9.7 inches)

Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro (8.4 inches)
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro (10.1 inches)
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro (12.2 inches)
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 ― (8 inches)
Smartisan T1 ― (4.95 inches)

Sony Xperia Z2 (5.2 inches)
Sony Xperia Z3 (5.2 inches)
Xiaomi Mi 3 ― (5 inches)
Xiaomi Mi Pad ― (7.9 inches)

i have a question. I use iPad Air. It worked well till today. But for a few days it doesn't. The screen goes black, loses signal for a short period and the real time cam comes very late to iPad and also it freezes and comes after about 1 sec. What can be the problem? Thanks.

I got a Samsung Tab A n love it so far. Off topic but does anybody use the cache maps? I just like the video.

I read all 27 pages, I was going to use my old iPad mini (original) but it appears the P3 will not work with it. Shame but no problem so I started looking at an iPad mini 2 just so it would run the go program or litchi. Along with several weather apps I use, I can not use it just for a drone, it has to multitask. Sides Walmarts has them on sale right now for about 199, not too bad.
But then I have to get a garmin gps addon for another 100 or so, jeeze.

So after thinking about it, & how I'm more a droid person but I have to get a pretty current system so it must have lollipop on it or be upgradable to lollipop. Its nice the Nvidia Shield K1 is upgradable to marshmellow even if its buggy right now, plus its also on sale for 199 & I dont have to buy a gps addon. No cables? Not a problem as I have cables anyways from my s3, s4 & s5 samsung galaxies & micro usb are easy to find, minis not so much.

So thanks to everyone that posted here with their thoughts & opinions on which one they have, pros & cons. Gonna skip the iPad mini2, got the Nvidia Shield K1 on order on Amazon, it will be here in a couple days providing the delivery service isnt still mucked up.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT