Starting a business

Reaction score
Any recommendations or advice on what are the few first steps to starting a business and getting your first job?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Doing anything possible with a drone. I'm open to all aspects of this. I've started off with just doing some photography and making a website but haven't landed any jobs yet

First and foremost, you what to take care of legal issues. Register for a minimum of an LLC (Legal Liability Corp.) under your company name and get insurance. This will cover you and your personal assets in the event something happens or you get sued for something.

As for getting jobs, use a classified group within facebook. This is one of the fastest ways to get it out there in front of people that are closest to you and usually free. Find local realtors and provide a card. When I use to do aerial photography using my R/C plane and helicopter, I would go around and take photos of churches, businesses, and big sub-divisions and email samples to the owners to see if they would be interested in them without watermarks or edits. I did pretty well and had good luck. Plus you are going to want to fly anyways so why not take advantage of the footage you capture.

Very true thanks for the advice! If anyone wants to take a peak at my website it's www.guyintheskyrva.com nothing fancy and not a lot of pictures yet haven't had time to get around to finish editing it

I believe the LLC is also how you can legally claim tax deductions for your equipment and any other supplies or miles you drive for a job. If you don't want to deal with sales tax, provide your service under a labor charge. If you start selling digital media on your website, by law you will have to charge sales tax. every state is different so be sure to research it.

Research regional/country rules. In the UK if it is a commercial flight then you have to submit flight plans and get a permit.
Get insurance applicable to your country
Investigate the tax laws, espechially if it is going to be your main income
Plan a decent website and facebook page, it will mean taking lots of prep photos and videos
Business cards
Basically there are whole raft of things to consider.

bsartist's post above should be highlighted and bold. Before you do anything else, you will have to be FAA certified (Part 107), and your drone(s) registered. This is not an insignificant step. Nothing else is going to matter if you don't do this first.

bsartist's post above should be highlighted and bold. Before you do anything else, you will have to be FAA certified (Part 107), and your drone(s) registered. This is not an insignificant step. Nothing else is going to matter if you don't do this first.

Sorry guys should've mentioned I already did that.

I think first thing is to consider the flying of a P3S as a hobby and any biz you can do with it as a bonus and pin money.

It is not a serious machine for real business work. Fine for short range ... moderate work - but not really a serious machine.

Guy I know flies serious machines for fencing checks, rig spotting, animal tracking etc. I don't think his xx thousands value gear is in same arena as a P3S !! No disrespect.

Nigel

I think first thing is to consider the flying of a P3S as a hobby and any biz you can do with it as a bonus and pin money.

It is not a serious machine for real business work. Fine for short range ... moderate work - but not really a serious machine.

Guy I know flies serious machines for fencing checks, rig spotting, animal tracking etc. I don't think his xx thousands value gear is in same arena as a P3S !! No disrespect.

Nigel

Huh?

Huh?

Trouble with English Language ?

Basically to try and use what is a hobby budget machine like the P3S for business ?

Even another pal of mine who has an Online TV station and has a P3 Pro looks upon the P3P as a hobby machine !

Nigel

First and foremost, you what to take care of legal issues. Register for a minimum of an LLC (Legal Liability Corp.) under your company name and get insurance. This will cover you and your personal assets in the event something happens or you get sued for something.

As for getting jobs, use a classified group within facebook. This is one of the fastest ways to get it out there in front of people that are closest to you and usually free. Find local realtors and provide a card. When I use to do aerial photography using my R/C plane and helicopter, I would go around and take photos of churches, businesses, and big sub-divisions and email samples to the owners to see if they would be interested in them without watermarks or edits. I did pretty well and had good luck. Plus you are going to want to fly anyways so why not take advantage of the footage you capture.

That should be Limited Liability Company.

Tobby

That should be Limited Liability Company.

Tobby

Limited Liability Cover ... when referring to Insurance.

Limited Liability Company when referring to a LLC Business.

Nigel

My advice is to have the skills and equipment to produce a quality product to sell before you go through all the trouble of getting a commercial rating. So many buy a drone and want to make money. That's fine but you have a lot of competition.
See what others can do and what they charge. Having great equipment doesn't mean you can deliver. A good photographer can take great pictures with less than pro equipment. Pro equipment does not make a great photographer. Everyone has a camera with them these days. If you want people to pay you...you have to be able to produce something they can't. With all the money involved in going commercial, with insurance, good equipment, etc., you have to charge a decent amount to make a profit and make it worth while .

I agree that if you are finding work for primarily taking pictures of property or scenery, the P3S is more than adequate for stills. Video however may be better out of an adv/pro or a P4, not to say you can't get a good video out of the P3S though, if you know how to fly it and have some good editing skills. If you are skilled with Photoshop and lightroom, most shots can be improved upon greatly. larger jobs that require more control over camera settings and lenses are going to be beyond any phantom. Don't count on quitting your job and being a full time drone photographer but you could still probably make a few bucks on the side with it.

I currently use the P3 4K
df86041d43a0f3c4caf9a6e32bb36db9.jpg

Here's one of my photos

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen