*SOLVED* DJI Phantom 3 SE landing issues

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased a P3SE and after a handful of flights I feel quite confident flying it and have taken it off beginner mode.

I practiced manual landings by holding the left stick down for 3 seconds and allowing the motors to shut off. Now, I have noticed when I do this sometimes it rises up as it gets low to the ground unexpectedly and I cannot control when it does this. It’s almost like it detects the ground is below it and then averts the ground and rises quickly. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on why my drone does this? As yesterday I had a small crash, admittedly I was not landing in the perfect place but the battery was low and I wanted to get it down ASAP, I was landing in a relatively open area with just a single tree overhanging nearby, as I began my decent I got about 60cm from the ground and the drone unexpectedly ascended about 2 metres and hit the tree which was overhanging above, it did not hit it really fast and no probs broke and there is no apparent damage to the drone. The camera works fine as I tested that when I got home, however I was wondering if someone with more experience could shed some light on these two things.

1. Why does this drone automatically rise like this?
2. If I had damaged something internally or any of the motors, would it come up when I boot the drone up on the DJI app as a critical error or something as the sort? As I have not took the drone out since and literally cannot stop thinking about it if it’s broken internally as I don’t want to have to break this news to my dad!!

Sorry for the long post, just really want a bit of clarification and peace of mind before I’m back with my drone tomorrow!

Thanks

C

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Reactions: ct17
Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.
Many thanks for the reply! I’ll do this when I’m home and with the drone again.

On a side note, after the crash I took it inside and turned it back on to check the camera and gimball was working fine, if there was some sort of error with the aircraft would the app / aircraft have notified me when I turned it on inside and connected it to the DJI app?

if there was some sort of error with the aircraft would the app / aircraft have notified me when I turned it on inside and connected it to the DJI app?
Possibly. However, no message is not a guarantee that all is okay.

Thanks for the reply! Given me a bit of confidence, I will upload the TXT to see if anyone can shed some light on what went wrong

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Here is the flight log if anyone can shed any light on this!

Edit: I should also add, after the bump with the tree I held onto the drones leg and it tried to take off again whilst in my hand, I think it was attempting a RTH, could this explain the numerous compass errors?

Thanks

Last edited:
I was landing in a relatively open area with just a single tree overhanging nearby, as I began my decent I got about 60cm from the ground and the drone unexpectedly ascended about 2 metres and hit the tree which was overhanging above,
The drone was trying to ascend to RTH altitude. Low Battery RTH. That is why it ascended when it did. Also there were several compass errors during that phase. That is the simple explanation of the ascent.

Update: Drone works fine, recalibrated compass with no issues and also checked IMU which notified me it was calibrated properly.

GPS mode works fine and had absolutely no errors at all. Latest flight log below.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

One final question I do have is why AirData website is telling me my mode was changed to Attitude mode? I cannot change the mode as I have disabled multiple flight modes in my settings... Any thoughts?

Imgur
izh91q8

Thanks for ur guys help

Airdata is telling me that mode was changed to "Attitude" even though the app told me it was in GPS and was not set to Attitude mode as I don't have multiple flight modes enabled?? Any thoughts?
It will do this if there is an issue someplace, such as it did in the previous posted data. ATTI Mode....

DATA SNIPPET.PNG

One final question I do have is why AirData website is telling me my mode was changed to Attitude mode?
I do not see that reflected in this second data set. Share the Airdata link here.

One final question I do have is why AirData website is telling me my mode was changed to Attitude mode?
This is normal GPS-Atti mode. Not Attitude mode. That is what I thought you were referring to, but wanted to verify it first. That is normal.

This is normal GPS-Atti mode. Not Attitude mode. That is what I thought you were referring to, but wanted to verify it first. That is normal.

That’s amazing! Thanks for all your help mate, I’m a newbie to drones so wasn’t sure of the difference! Thanks a lot!

You will get it all figured out. Welcome Aboard. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart