So a cop pulled up tonight when I was flying....

Reaction score
And he was absolutely professional and pleasant. I've had multiple experiences with police in several different areas, so I wasn't too worried. However, this was the first time one has specifically looked for me because of an "anonymous" tip, as well as the first time one of the local police have stopped. (Not a complaint, someone was worried I was a terrorist since I was somewhat close to our local federal building. That is hilarious because the five story building is vacant other than the social security occupying a quarter of one floor.). It was the usual interaction of telling him what I was doing, showing some photos I've taken in the past, answering the usual distance questions, wanting to see it fly and listening as I pointed out there are no laws in our small town regarding drones as well as the FAA guidelines. Essentially all the same stuff I have to recite whenever most people see my flying. (Another reason I try to find remote, private locations to fly from.).

As the police officer left, I thought about packing it in immediately, but I wanted to test out the refurb drone DJI just sent me a little more. About 10 minutes later though, another cop car comes pulling up. I was thinking I must have made some mistake and was in hot water. The same cop jumps out of his car and heads back over to me. Again, I do admit I was a little nervous and not in the mood for a confrontation. The joke was on me, the officer had returned to the station and was discussing that I said with the police chief who was intrigued about the whole drone thing. They want me to come to a police staff meeting and go over drones, FAA regulations, and so on. I told him I would think about it and get back to him.

So, I am definitely thinking I should take the opportunity to do this in order to help properly inform the local authorities so there are no further issues with drones. Honestly though, it is very hard for me to find time to even fly my drone, let alone spend the time to properly research and make a presentation. Would by chance anyone have a powerpoint, pdf or some thing along that lines discussing drones, FAA guidelines, etc? I would appreciate any info it so.

thanks!

I would let them know about the FAA office for specifics, but id show them what it can do. See if theyll let you active track a police car with their lights on lol, thatd be a cool video if you ask me. Who knows maybe they'll ask you to help them start a drone division for the PD

Nothing wrong with building bridges, maybe get a few like minded hobbyists to come along, so you don`t feel as alone, you may even find out while there that the odd officer has one.

wont hurt if anyone ever complains about you, they will already know you are a good guy, who complies with the regs, or that officer may be able to handle a complaint in a different way by knowing the regs.

I've had several interactions with the local LEO's and all have turned out just fine.

I think showing them the screen makes a huge difference in what they believe we can see and what's actually happening. With that they are convinced the people calling in about a quad 300 feet overhead taking pictures through their windows is a bit of a fib.

AD

Thank you all for the suggestions. We live in a small town (30K pop) in the middle of Nebraska, so we don't actually have a local FAA office anywhere even close (about a 4 hour drive). I think I'm going to follow up with them next week and see if they were really serious. If so, I'm going to stress nothing I say is official and simply hand them the FAA brochure on hobbyist flight. I thought then depending on time, I would show them the P4P, Mavic and my old Syma to illustrate the difference in quadcopters. Has anyone with an iPad use Airplay via an Apple TV to mirror the screen while flying? I thought that might a cool way to illustrate what you actually see so everyone in attendance could see what was going on. I will let you guys know how it turns out (if it does). If I get a tepid response when I follow up, I will probably ditch plans. I did make sure the officer had my name, address and phone number and contact me at any time with questions or even any complaints. If I'm flying and someone has a real issue with, it sure isn't worth it for me to push the issue in my home town. Since this was my first contact here at home in 3 years of flying, I thought playing the nice, cooperative guy would be a good way to start. Even if don't do the lecture, maybe they will contact me if they have issues with someone else.

I think you have a perfect opportunity to have a positive interaction with your local LEO. I've taken the FFA's class for LEO and I can tell you first hand that they HATE Drones. The class got so bad that the LEOs starting pushing back on some of the topics the FFA presented. I think for the most part if you not acting stupid and fly responsibly most LEO will only ask a few questions to make sure you not out to do other folks harm.

Last edited:
Yes go and inform them. Also get in contact with them so that the next time someone has an issue you can get them to call the police station and ask.
Then the LEO's can inform others you are allowed to fly as you do.

I would refer them to the closest FAA office.
I was getting back to my car after eating at a cafe and a police officer was getting out to go in. I asked if he knew of any restrictions to flying in our little town's center, to get good views of our historic courthouse. He must've been either preoccupied or in a hurry because he didn't think much. He said I should check with the FCC.

No question about it in my opinion. Go, go, go....I'd say just be as helpful as you can and what you don't know, you don't know. I think you will gain favor with the police station as a partner...Then if anyone else complains about you, they will blow them off

I would GO, perfect time to explain what drones can and can't do and dispel the myths. If you have time this would be a good time to demonstrate how a drone could be used for search and rescue and maybe offer your services in case of emergency. Good PR.

Reactions: Technical Bob
This is a great opportunity for some good will between drone pilots and law enforcement. Perhaps they could relay their experience to others in the field.
Jim
WA5TEF

I have given two presentations to a local group where one person in the audience was from the local police force. He was very interested and, I feel the good will gained will help me if I ever get into a situation that involves the local police. The two PowerPoint presentations are relatively high tech with links to video's on my computer and to internet drone technology videos so I'm not sure how portable the presentations are ... but they can give you an idea of how the presentations are organized and how much detail to include.

Reactions: Technical Bob
I think someone may already have said this, but it's a very good idea to establish a cooperative relationship with your local police, even though there are generally no local codes requiring you do so. I'm usually flying for real estate listings and may be in populated part of town. I call the police dispatcher just before takeoff and let them know. They are always appreciative and it helps in case a nervous neighbor calls them. They can say, oh yeah we know and he's ok. The mutual respect goes a long way.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl