Sketchy RTH

Reaction score
Just want to know if this happens to other pilots.
First- I fly to max range, weak signal begins to flash. I continue to fly until signal lost.
Second- after a moment RTH kicks in with an audible beeping.
third- It goes into Atti mode (haven't touched anything) RTH stops.
fourth-I try to initiate RTH manually, after a moment I get " Return to Home Failed" or " Return to Home Timed out"
Fifth- I toggle my S2 and briefly get a GPS signal, then signal lost or even connection lost. Then back to #2.

This is really stressful. I'm wondering if I were to just shut off the RC. the Drone RTH would bring her all the way in on the first signal loss. Thanks for any help.

Can't you check the RTH capability out by simply flying a short distance away (100 ft or so) then shutting off the hand-held controller (you might want to reset your RTH altitude value to something like 50 feet or so - maybe you don't want to use up a lot of power to climb really high just to move laterally 100 feet or so).

This is really stressful. I'm wondering if I were to just shut off the RC. the Drone RTH would bring her all the way in on the first signal loss. Thanks for any help.
As you've described things, this sounds unusual.
The Phantom cannot RTH without GPS and RTH should not affect GPS reception.

Looking at flight data might help to solve the mystery.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

Here's the beginning . Trouble starts at 6m 15s.
I see the compass error now. Would this throw it into Atti. ?
After sifting through many flight records I discovered most of them are cut off right after RTH is initiated. So I'm not getting all my info.
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Last edited:
I see the compass error now. Would this throw it into Atti. ?
Yes, a compass error will force the Phantom to ignore GPS data which puts it into atti mode.
In that flight record the compass error only lasted for 1 second and went away (at least for the rest of the record we can see).
At a height of 500 feet, you can discount anything on the ground being the cause of the compass error.

Reactions: RadRocket
The only time I ever had my p3s switch into atti mode was compass related. I calibrated the compass in a really open area with no noise. Never had the problem again. Haven't calibrated in over a month now. Fly almost everyday.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl