Lesson learned from crash by RTH because flying with a low battery

Reaction score
IMG-20160912-WA0023.jpg
Indoor flying, flying under a tree or structure. Never ever fly with low battery... Yep, as you have guessed. It will kick in RTH and climb. Mine hit a tree and this time, there is no saving it. I think I just cracked a shell, but I send it to a repair shop just to be sure nothing else was damaged.

Last edited:
This is what i ever had in my mind. . . RTH while flying under trees, buildings, or bridges.
Off course we might avoid RTH on critical battery. But i am not sure how can we avoid signal lost, specially inside the obstructed area with full of trees or buildings.

Sent from my SCL23 using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is what i ever had in my mind. . . RTH while flying under trees, buildings, or bridges.
Off course we might avoid RTH on critical battery. But i am not sure how can we avoid signal lost, specially inside the obstructed area with full of trees or buildings.

Sent from my SCL23 using PhantomPilots mobile app
I had a clear VLOS and it wasn't too far, just about 50m away. I completely forgot the RTH will kick in when battery is low.

Reactions: sinxa
I had a clear VLOS and it wasn't too far, just about 50m away. I completely forgot the RTH will kick in when battery is low.
For next time -- if you're within 20 meters of the home point, your Phantom will land at its current location instead of trying to return home.

Reactions: jeganx
For next time -- if you're within 20 meters of the home point, your Phantom will land at its current location instead of trying to return home.
Meaning I shouldn't fly it nearby any water if its on low battery and within 20m radius...

Reactions: Steverowley
Meaning I shouldn't fly it nearby any water if its on low battery and within 20m radius...
Right. Beware the water any time the battery is low ;)

Reactions: Squirrel!
You can also set RTH to hover when the RC loses signal, if you know you're going to fly under things. But that doesn't apply to critically low battery.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Where is that setting located?
Yes had a typo there, I fixed the post so no one was confused. Here's the correction: "You can also set RTH to hover when the RC loses signal, if you know you're going to fly under things. But that doesn't apply to critically low battery."

View attachment 64646 Indoor flying, flying under a tree or structure. Never ever fly with low battery... Yep, as you have guessed. It will kick in RTH and climb. Mine hit a tree and this time, there is no saving it. I think I just cracked a shell, but I send it to a repair shop just to be sure nothing else was damaged.

Here was another Low Battery hit a tree, and a lot of other chat about RTH's
DISABLE "Smart go home."

Rod

Yes had a typo there, I fixed the post so no one was confused. Here's the correction: "You can also set RTH to hover when the RC loses signal, if you know you're going to fly under things. But that doesn't apply to critically low battery."

I think critical low battery will not trigger RTH. I will trigger landing.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Dounin Front
Well same thing here. I had my P3A 25 feet from me. The low battery kicked in. I tried to stop it but no good. It went up about 15 feet right in to the tree. Then right down to the street. Estimated repair bill $480. Really Im pissed. I could do nothing to stop it.. But of course DJI would do nothing about it and I couldn't get their care package to get it fixed.

They need a kill switch for the RTH. Next time I bypass DJI and go to say Chroma or Autel.

Well same thing here. I had my P3A 25 feet from me. The low battery kicked in. I tried to stop it but no good. It went up about 15 feet right in to the tree. Then right down to the street. Estimated repair bill $480. Really Im pissed. I could do nothing to stop it.. But of course DJI would do nothing about it and I couldn't get their care package to get it fixed.

They need a kill switch for the RTH. Next time I bypass DJI and go to say Chroma or Autel.
There is a kill switch, it's the S1 switch. Move it from P to A. And it can be put right back in P again if wanted.

I noticed that also, & it really made me upset! It just landed right then and there. A disaster waiting to happen.

Kurt

Did same thing! Left it hovering and was kidding my friend about almost running his into side of his barn. It was dusk and I didn't see it when I turned around so RTH right? Wrong, under pecan tree. Bent pylon had to change out body and one LED! My second time flying. Live and learn right!

The fail safe that makes you fail, best I could do so far.:rolleyes:

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20