Sign This Petition to Avoid FAA Pilot License to Fly Drones!

I think the best way to look at it from a commercial point of view is:
1: Spending $5-$10k is not much if you are serious about starting a new business. Even with the drone purchase you are talking 10-15k max.
2: Spending this kind of money will weed out many of those who aren't serious about this.
3: Best excuse to get a pilots license.
Well, fortunately Part 107 rules should be in place within a few months (but you never know with the FAA) and the pilot requirement will no longer be a thing. I agree I'd love to get the license, but you simply cannot tell me that I am unable to fly my drone safely UNLESS I have that. It's not ok to create artificial barriers to entry because established pilots can command top dollar. While there needs to be rules and safety measures taken, the pilot requirement is simply a bridge too far in that regard.

Well, fortunately Part 107 rules should be in place within a few months (but you never know with the FAA) and the pilot requirement will no longer be a thing. I agree I'd love to get the license, but you simply cannot tell me that I am unable to fly my drone safely UNLESS I have that. It's not ok to create artificial barriers to entry because established pilots can command top dollar. While there needs to be rules and safety measures taken, the pilot requirement is simply a bridge too far in that regard.

I agree with most of what you say but it's frustrating to hear folks constantly say that there are barriers BEING put up when in fact the CFRs have been in place long before civil UASs became mainstream and the FAA and others are trying to find ways to work around the laws where they can. They are not protecting established pilots EXCEPT from a NAS safety stand point.

There's a lot of posted resentment which is completely unnecessary or unwarranted or at the very least misguided.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

They did NOT create artificial barriers. We are missing the point completely. We are having to fly within existing regulations until the FAA comes out with UAS Specific regulations. Basically the "Early Adopters" are being penalized because the FAA has been slow to adapt and create the needed framework to create UAS integration. While I do agree with you I just want to point out the facts so less misinformation is floating around.

Hopefully Part 107 will come into play and make things more "realistic" for everyone sooner than later.

I agree with most of what you say but it's frustrating to hear folks constantly say that there are barriers BEING put up when in fact the CFRs have been in place long before civil UASs became mainstream and the FAA and others are trying to find ways to work around the laws where they can. They are not protecting established pilots EXCEPT from a NAS safety stand point.

VERY well put. 2 Thumbs Up!!!

There's a lot of posted resentment which is completely unnecessary or unwarranted or at the very least misguided.
Regardless of WHEN they were put into place, nonetheless, an unreasonable barrier to entry is in place for UAV pilots who are safe, well trained, but don't have (and\or can't afford) a pilot's license. Also, there are lots of people who could afford to get a pilot's license but for medical reasons they simply cannot. So I stand by the fact that it is an unreasonable and artificial barrier to entry that should not exist, and the FAA has had more than ample time to make reasonable changes to catch up with modernity.

After reading the previous 40 or so posts it is amazing to me how this subject has evolved. My opinion in this matter doesn't really have merit, since I am new to drone flying. But, as a retired commercial airline captain and current corporate pilot I am really surprised on the differing opinions of this post. I agree that 'some' regulation is needed, primarily with commercial uav operators. As for me, well, I really like flying"low-and-slow", and not 500 knots at FL450 all the time. My P3s allows that. Hopefully if Congress or the FAA become any more involved we can get together as drone pilots and find a SIMPLE solution on licensing and regulations. Blue skies and calm winds guys !!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl