Show off your CUSTOM, MODIFIED, TRICKED OUT Phantoms

OK. Here's my latest mod. Not to the craft but rather the controller. I opened it up to install the throttle spring return mod on shapeways (works great) but while I was at it, I removed the monopole and replaced with a SMA connector so I could attach a higher gain antenna. In this picture I am showing a 2.4GHz helical (larger bottom helical below the four smaller 5.8G FPV antennas) with which I was able to fly over 1600 feet away without any loss of control. I started to lose the video so I turned around. I was never able to go beyond 1000ft with the stock monopole. Oh, and did I mention that this setup is a babe magnet (yup - it repels them :)).

[Edit: lets see if this image works - PP site seems to be limiting attachments]
2013-09-01

[/Edit]

:lol: are you compensating for something?

Seriously though that is a hell of a rig there my friend! Did you make the antennas yourself? I just built my own 5.8 CP antenna using crap wire, awful solder joints and much swearing but even with that I've got WAY further than stock linears on the FS Predators. DIY Helical will be next I think!

Get some more pics of it up with a bit of detail. I for one would love to see them!

The three helicals and the 2.4G CP are from http://www.circular-wireless.com. They actually have the equipment to test their antennas so I don't mind paying a little more for something I know is done right. Here are a few more closeups.

SMA connector:
BGKxdIB4ZP5N44rX4VmvKZOmLReMKNltsrRDvU6Gxns=w276-h207-p-no

antennas (also dvr and diversity RX):
13+-+1

Below is with the helical removed and a circular planar in it's place:
qOu_7B5BB__1dJ1eqpPJMd3tjzvyiEvnV1dMv_YM1YQ=w276-h207-p-no

The helical definitely improved the range, but interfered with the nearby FPV RX antennas so I will have to figure out a new configuration that puts a little more distance between them.

..and here's a pic of the inside of the TX with the new SMA antenna connection. Features to note are:
  • 1) the Dremel work where the old antenna went to give the SMA connector clearance (cut off 1/4")
    2) Silicon reinforcement of the solder joint (I actually soldered the shield on both sides - unlike the factory solder)
    3) throttle spring-return mod on the right joystick (vertical piece of plastic with the rough finish)

13+-+1

That looks like a real babe magnet for sure, funny thing is my stock DJI AVL58 vtx and rx easily get 800m+ video feed even with a few obstructions. The stock radio on the other hand is very hit and miss with quite a few control glitches well inside that range at times and so I am getting a Futaba soon. :lol:

Here is my phantom 3D setup.

vwb9.jpg

v2 of the DIY mount with less tape but heavier. Still flys ok at well over the recommended weight thanks to the props and flys like a rocket with just one camera.

tbiz.jpg

I have had some good results in 3D and will post some videos soon, I had issues with software but have come up with a manual workaround to my issues and the 3d effect is pretty cool. Even when fully loaded max weight I have flown so far is 1305g but my single cam setup is around 1150g.

I would be interested in know how your 3d setup works. I assume you wear 3d goggles to get the 3d effect but do you combine and then split? Or do you have two independent FPV links? I've never been able to see how far my video reaches since my Phantom goes to failsafe long before - that was why I wanted to try the high gain control antenna. Still 800+ meters sounds pretty impressive for 5.8G.

I have had some good results in 3D and will post some videos soon, I had issues with software but have come up with a manual workaround to my issues and the 3d effect is pretty cool. Even when fully loaded max weight I have flown so far is 1305g but my single cam setup is around 1150g.

martcerv

This gives me hope that the Warrior Max did indeed survive the apocalyptic wasteland ....... Perhaps on an old abandoned farm
somewhere, and there was a young girl, and her pet Honey Badger

ayanowitz said:
Here's some pics of my Phantom. Modifications include:

1) New landing gear with accessory rails (Simensays designed)
2) Zenmuse Hero gimbal
3) Fatshark transmitter
4) Garmin GTU10 tracker
5) AltimiterOne
6) CF props
7) Prop guards

Currently at 1330g. A bit heavy, but flyable.

Still deciding if I'm going to keep the prop guards or not.

Andy

Dang, your Phantom seems like it has it all.

snapdog said:
This is mine. batteries hanging off the back, screen door for cooling, Arris gimbal (soon to be replaced with a Beholder)

Nice!

TickTock said:
The three helicals and the 2.4G CP are from http://www.circular-wireless.com. They actually have the equipment to test their antennas so I don't mind paying a little more for something I know is done right. Here are a few more closeups.

SMA connector:
BGKxdIB4ZP5N44rX4VmvKZOmLReMKNltsrRDvU6Gxns=w276-h207-p-no

antennas (also dvr and diversity RX):
13+-+1

Below is with the helical removed and a circular planar in it's place:
qOu_7B5BB__1dJ1eqpPJMd3tjzvyiEvnV1dMv_YM1YQ=w276-h207-p-no

The helical definitely improved the range, but interfered with the nearby FPV RX antennas so I will have to figure out a new configuration that puts a little more distance between them.

Dang, can you fly your Phantom to the Moon with that set-up!

I wish, but I the farthest I've gone and retained control is only 1600'. Never over 1000' with the stock setup. Others are have reported 800m (2600ft!) so maybe I got a lemon. I had my first fly-away yesterday. Arguably I was asking for it since I was deliberately flying it until RTH kicked in to see what distance I could get with my CP antenna. Got to just over 1600' but instead of engaging RTH, it started flying sideways. Luckily, it also dropped, touched the ground, bounced back up, and dropped again flipping over the second time. Got it all on video and thanks to a solid FPV connection I was able to read the GPS coordinates from the OSD and use my cell phone compass app to find it. I guess someone's WIFI must've taken over once my control signal got weak (I was flying over farmland surrounded by housing). I've done this test a half dozen times before and the RTH did it's job all the other times. I guess I'm playing with fire.

TickTock said:
I would be interested in know how your 3d setup works. I assume you wear 3d goggles to get the 3d effect but do you combine and then split? Or do you have two independent FPV links? I've never been able to see how far my video reaches since my Phantom goes to failsafe long before - that was why I wanted to try the high gain control antenna. Still 800+ meters sounds pretty impressive for 5.8G.

There are some guys using 3dfpv but I am just getting video from one cam and using the cams for 3d videos. Here are a few I have uploaded viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2449

It also has a google pic of the site to give you an idea of the distances flown, funny thing is I have lost a bit of radio range since I stupidly trimmed a bit off the antenna the first time I painted my shell. Its been more glitchy in spots but even on these flights I think flight 2 I did a full lap of the track and the furthest corner was 715m away from me. I got some control glitches that flight only a fee hundred meters away around the last corner but this was most likely with my body being in between the antenna and phantom after checking the aerial image for where it was dropping out.

Video was fine except first flight I had terrible range with lots of noise, changed channels and video was fine on the second flight at 715m but first flight was breaking up only 100m or so away which I dont get normally.

That landing gear looks interesting, is it much heavier then stock and is it also taller or just wider? Any links to where you got it. Running the 2 cams for 3d I just have a few mm clearance between the legs so need to get something wider but cant go adding too much more weight as Im already pushing the limit when flying the 3d setup.

This is my Phantom added DJI Phantom Upgrade landing skid,carbon fiber props, gopro, and the phantom skin only other thing I will be adding is some kind of a gps tracker looking for one that Idont have to pay a service for.

phantom2_zps405b4fdb.jpg

phantom1_zps7718716c.jpg

phantom5_zps12e0a873.jpg

This is very much a work in progress but it's what I have at the moment.

zf5n.jpg

Full size pic: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/4496/7b78.jpg

bfyu.jpg

Full size pic: http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/602/y618.jpg

The top of the Phantom(and bottom of tx) is done in gunmetal acrylic spray paint(looks better in person than on the pics). It's got a Garmin GTU 10 gps tracker on the side and an tiny rfid tracker on the other side. The Garmin gets me close to the phantom if its lost and the rfid will bring me right to it with its tracker, beeper and small flashing led.
Custom carbon landing skids as well from ebay and the obligatory carbon props.

I think it looks ok with the top in gunmetal and the bottom in its normal white. But I actually just ran out of paint and that's the real reason it looks that way :D
Top needs another go over with a bit of paint to make it perfect but I'll wait until next week to do that.

How much additional weight is added to painting the Phantom's?
Or stickers for that matter?

Does it make sense painting black as that color absorbs the suns ray nearly 100%?

Lot of kewl looking customs!

RedFishChaser said:
How much additional weight is added to painting the Phantom's?
Or stickers for that matter?

Does it make sense painting black as that color absorbs the suns ray nearly 100%?

Lot of kewl looking customs!
I like black because it is a LOT easier to see in the sky than white.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT