Show off your CUSTOM, MODIFIED, TRICKED OUT Phantoms

The Siemen landing gear is nice, how tall is your Phantom now....I would like to see if it will still fit in my case if I bought these for my Phantom? Also those of you that painted your Phantom, did you disassemble the Phantom to paint?

Thanks!
Ed

fasteddie said:
The Siemen landing gear is nice, how tall is your Phantom now....I would like to see if it will still fit in my case if I bought these for my Phantom? Also those of you that painted your Phantom, did you disassemble the Phantom to paint?

Thanks!
Ed

I mostly dissembled mine but left the internals inside masked off all vent holes and masked up the top and put a plastic bag over the opening which was full masked up around. Maybe it would have just been easier to take everything out or just buy a second shell paint that then transfer over all the gear then paint that frame too and you get a spare painted shell that way.

fasteddie said:

Thanks!
Ed

Personally I pulled it apart.

Just be careful with the different size screws and were they go, really important.

Steve

My Phantom ...

I've been here for a while.
Here is my Phantom, waiting for Zenmuse gimbal.

Foldable landing gear according SimenSays Design (Shapeways) ..

FPV is a combination of 5.8 GHz Boscam Tx with Cloverleaf antenna, on the receiver side I have Dominator with special Rx module from TBS, frequency compatible with Boscam Tx and Cloverleaf antenna. I also have a standalone Boscam 5.8 GHz receiver for further experiments.

Video recorded and transmitted to FPV link with GoPro 3 Black Ed camera, suspended on anti-vibration mount from fiberglass with large dumpers - no any Jello effect.

Carbon Propellers in the 8x4.5 DJI design (eBay), excellent.
Stock Tx with 7. channel Pitch Control Lever from MaikelsDesign (also Shapeways).

Ordered a new set of engines "Tiger MN2214-11" - at full throttle, I now have vibration.
On the table I now have a FBOSD Ghost, which is small and smart OSD, specially developed for Phantom, awaiting installation.
The plan is different FPV Tx (on its frequency designed) horizontally polarized antenna too.

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

I'm waiting on a bunch of stuff from shapeways, got a few things to install on my phantom, still need to get my hands on the FBOSB :)

I have a question on the fold up landing gear, how does the compass cope? I notice in the pictures it's correctly orientated when the legs are down, but what about when its flying and you fold them up? Any issues with control etc, does it somehow stay vertical?

On the Simon landing gear mounts, it looks like you can make the height you want by cutting the tube to desired length. Does the brackets mount in existing holes or do you need to drill them?
Thanks!
Ed

fasteddie said:
On the Simon landing gear mounts, it looks like you can make the height you want by cutting the tube to desired length.
Yes.
fasteddie said:
Does the brackets mount in existing holes or do you need to drill them? Thanks! Ed
Yes (mount in existing holes), and yes (drill more one hole per bracket).

My first post :) So Hi Guys. This is my Phantom, fatshark fpv and lcd as well. Like some night flying and it has 2 1.4 watt tactical green lasers shows a nice beam which is great for orientation and giving birds lasic surgery in flight. I just got some t-motors waiting on the props. hope to learn a lot more from this site.

Attachments

• IMAG0587_resize.jpg
    IMAG0587_resize.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,154
  • IMAG0585_resize.jpg
    IMAG0585_resize.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 1,058
Reactions: emilewski
I found that the storm 2700mah 25c battery gives me about 2 minutes more flight time. I get about 7 1/2 to 8 on stock battery and about 10 minutes on the 2700 using the setup below. The only thing with these batteries is that they are a tight fit and only 1 of my 2 fits due to the other having leads coming too far off the side.

I did almost get lost when I caught a thermal the other day and got much higher then I intended, then I wasn't sure where it was as my camera doesn't point down enough so all I saw was forest not the clearing I took off from but I landed it after 8 1/2 minute flight time using a stock battery. I would not push the battery that much normally and I was expecting it to fall out of the sky at some point :eek:

Here are some external shots of my modded phantom and some FPV practice

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIEg_O8k5zY[/youtube]

More info in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1397

OK. I finally got my redundant TX ultimate FPV working on the Phantom with two 200mW transmitters. Had a hard time getting the GPS to work until I learned the trick to add a toroid to the GPS data line (you can see it in the first pic showing the insides).

I am using the Boscam 58-4 4-channel diversity receiver to select between a high-gain spiral or a CP for both RH and LH polarizations.

Finally, I was able to pack everything neatly into the hard case for transport.

Attachments

• tx2.jpg
    tx2.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 1,285
  • rx4.jpg
    rx4.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,216
  • cased.jpg
    cased.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 1,294
Just finished tricking my phantom out just awaiting on a new esc board as I screwed up one ,,,, and my other transmitter and then she's good to go.... :) And no i have not put the screws in the top yet thats why you see the little gap

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 1,246
  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 1,168
  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 1,193
Nice, what's with the glowing pads on the landing legs (I have also Simensays folding landing gear)? Or is it just a reflex?
On the battery cover you have some LED array or lighthouse?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4