Short range after self repairing P3S after a crash. Options needed please.

Reaction score
My buddy crashed our P3S the 2nd flight. We split the price as this is both of ours first venture into aerial photography and drones (big mistake). I'm going to buy my own I've decided. I own a computer repair shop, so I figured why not try repairing it myself. It wasn't that bad or a crash. He clipped a tree limb and took about a 40 ft drop. The gimbal or camera didn't break. Damaged the anti drop kit, cables and such and it ripped the black and grey wire out of the posts of the camera, but left the connectors in tact. It looked like a repair I could handle. So after tedious research (thank you forum) I "thought" I had it somewhat repaired. I'm not sure which side the grey goes and which side the black wire goes for the video antennas connections on the camera. I just went on a hunch by the length of the wires. I reattached the wires to the posts. I'm not sure how secure the connection was but they appeared to hold up during the reassembling reattaching of the camera and gimbal to the P3S. It was such a pain to get those little antenna connectors back on!! I was relieved to have it all "reassembled". So that evening we took it out for a test flight. All pretests looked promising. It's flying great. Everything is functioning except I'm losing video signal at very short distances. I haven't taken it back apart. I really don't want to. I'm even considering just sending it somewhere to get repaired. My buddy is paying for it. I'll stick to repairing computers. I'd give it one last attempt at repairing it myself if I knew my best options. I've searched a few threads on here but haven't found enough info to resolve the problem.. Soo my questions:

Does anyone know any information that could further assist me in repairing it myself?

or

Should I just find somewhere to send it for repairs? If so, I would like recommendations. I'm in South Georgia. There are only a few local hobby shops within an hour of driving and all of those just have Yuneec, Chroma and Blade quads. None have been able to assist.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you in advance. I'm ready to get the P3S back up and running. I'm new to quads, but I'm hooked!! I've already decided I'm going to purchase P3P in the very near future.

If you're not able to repair it yourself, then contact Hani. You won't be disappointed.

A2.png Henry is this the cables you speak of ? Not my picture and this one is being modded for other antennas than the stock ones .
Those connecters will click when put back on right and them tabs over them that are screwed down secures them .
I use a pencil to place on top of the connecter and push down till I hear it click .Don't force it just keep moving it around till it does go on right .

The gray wire goes into the connector closest to the camera plug.
What type of distances are you getting or what makes you think there is a problem?

Just so you know Henry here are the black and grey and what they do go to IMG_3840.JPG . No matter where you plug them as long as the wire has enough slack to not bind your gimbal . Those are located in the side's of your battery box and hopefully they or one did not also come lose as they are kinda hard to get to . I replaced them with these dipoles on mine back.JPG .The picture I said was not mine was of another member that had an issue and just put some external antennas to the sides of his gimbal and is why they are short .
Now I know that they are hard to reattach being as short as they are to the gimbal but if you did not hear the click I spoke of then you are not connected . You can have FPV at short distance's without them as I have tried just to see if you could .
@TG3S-Please do not start trolling my post .

Last edited:
View attachment 36249 Henry is this the cables you speak of ? Not my picture and this one is being modded for other antennas than the stock ones .
Those connecters will click when put back on right and them tabs over them that are screwed down secures them .
I use a pencil to place on top of the connecter and push down till I hear it click .Don't force it just keep moving it around till it does go on right .

Sorry for the late replies. I've been busy with work today! Yes. That's the cables. I was able to connect the connectors ok, but I don't think that the wires are staying in the post. I'm also not sure which side the grey wire goes on and which one the black wire goes on, or if it even matters. I'd like to see how you did your external antenna in more detail. I thought about just going that route instead. Thanks for your help

The gray wire goes into the connector closest to the camera plug.
What type of distances are you getting or what makes you think there is a problem?

This is how I have it, and I think I initially had it fixed. I'm wondering if the wind from flying it was enough to pull the black and grey wire back out fo the their posts with the connectors still in place. Maybe I didn't connect them well enough. I guess I'll take it all apart again today. and inspect further.

My test flight was in an open field in the country and I was getting weak video signal sometimes as close as 100ft or so... :(

For about the first 5 minutes it appeared to be fixed. Signal began to drop earlier than I remembered it doing before the crash. As I said, I had only had the chance of flying it one time before my buddy crashed it. I've had a crash course on the P3S though since then (literally)

Just so you know Henry here are the black and grey and what they do go to View attachment 36255 . No matter where you plug them as long as the wire has enough slack to not bind your gimbal . Those are located in the side's of your battery box and hopefully they or one did not also come lose as they are kinda hard to get to . I replaced them with these dipoles on mine View attachment 36256 .The picture I said was not mine was of another member that had an issue and just put some external antennas to the sides of his gimbal and is why they are short .
Now I know that they are hard to reattach being as short as they are to the gimbal but if you did not hear the click I spoke of then you are not connected . You can have FPV at short distance's without them as I have tried just to see if you could .

I definitely connected them and heard them click.. it was a pain though! The wires were pulled out of the connectors, but the connectors were still attached to the camera after the crash.. I took them out attempted to crimp the post back on the wires and then reconnect. I though it all worked but maybe I didn't crimp well enough or indeed maybe the wires came unattached from the antennas. I knew they were in a touch place.. wasn't going to attempt to take it apart and look. I think at this point I'm ready to pass it on to someone that knows what they are dong haha.

They have to be snapped on . If they are then they will not pull loose .If you tried to crimp them you might have messed them up . Is not easy and redoing mine now and have it in my hand
and is not easy that way. IMG_1783.JPG Check and see if they are still snapped on . Or do as msinger suggested and have Hani fix it .
You are messing with something that's not cheap .

They have to be snapped on . If they are then they will not pull loose .If you tried to crimp them you might have messed them up . Is not easy and redoing mine now and have it in my hand
and is not easy that way. View attachment 36270 Check and see if they are still snapped on . Or do as msinger suggested and have Hani fix it .
You are messing with something that's not cheap .

I agree. I called Hani and left a message! I'll let him do it.. Going to buy another bird today which will be flown by me and only me.

Reactions: dirkclod
I agree. I called Hani and left a message! I'll let him do it.. Going to buy another bird today which will be flown by me and only me.
Hear Ya :)

Hi Guys - I'm new to the forum and have just done the same as Henry D.
Phantom 3 standard flew into tree about 15 metres (50 feet) up. When I managed to dislodge it, it smashed on a stump below. Camera not broken but 8 grey wires ripped out of their plug and black and grey antenna wires ripped out of their cable ends. I then managed to detach (unsoldered) one of the surface mounted cable connectors (u.fl) from the PCB (my day isn't getting any better).
I guess the black and grey cables are co-ax and you gave me correct locations previously in this thread - thank you.
I am located just outside Perth, Western Australia (Pickering Brook) and so far we have not managed to train any kangaroos to do micro soldering. The inner gold pin is standing erect on the PCB but the out ring had two solder points attaching it to the PCB before I broke it off.
Can you please tell me if the 8 grey wires are in a particular order into the plug? (Are there any cross overs on the camera end?)
Any assistance appreciated - thank you.

Just so you know Henry here are the black and grey and what they do go to View attachment 36255 . No matter where you plug them as long as the wire has enough slack to not bind your gimbal . Those are located in the side's of your battery box and hopefully they or one did not also come lose as they are kinda hard to get to . I replaced them with these dipoles on mine View attachment 36256 .The picture I said was not mine was of another member that had an issue and just put some external antennas to the sides of his gimbal and is why they are short .
Greetings, all.

My black and grey wires ripped out of the clips. Any idea where I can get stock replacements?

Hey, do u put your dipoles like that? I do not.

Reactions: dirkclod
This is how I have it, and I think I initially had it fixed. I'm wondering if the wind from flying it was enough to pull the black and grey wire back out fo the their posts with the connectors still in place. Maybe I didn't connect them well enough. I guess I'll take it all apart again today. and inspect further.

My test flight was in an open field in the country and I was getting weak video signal sometimes as close as 100ft or so... :(

For about the first 5 minutes it appeared to be fixed. Signal began to drop earlier than I remembered it doing before the crash. As I said, I had only had the chance of flying it one time before my buddy crashed it. I've had a crash course on the P3S though since then (literally)
Also if you dont have the antennas attached and powered it up for 5 min. You risked burning up the transmission module. So if you do get it reattached and still dont have a good signal may be the issue. Askin Dirk, you didnt have any issues not having antennas plugged in or does that only apply to video tx's and p2v+ wi-fi modules, boosters, etc.??

Also if you dont have the antennas attached and powered it up for 5 min. You risked burning up the transmission module. So if you do get it reattached and still dont have a good signal may be the issue. Askin Dirk, you didnt have any issues not having antennas plugged in or does that only apply to video tx's and p2v+ wi-fi modules, boosters, etc.??
I have messed up a few times and powered up with them off but have not seen no issues yet . I noticed right away though .
I leave mine on .

I have messed up a few times and powered up with them off but have not seen no issues yet . I noticed right away though .
I leave mine on .
Is that what you were asking db?

Can anyone suggest a source for the 8 wire grey ribbon cable complete please. This appears to be an 8 wire cable in a 10 hole connector - is that correct?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl